Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Reaction score
So I have a pretty terrible problem. Right now, I'm running Windows 7 Build 7100 on a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T3400 at 2.17 GHz and it runs beautifully.

My only problem comes when I'm playing a little game called Guild Wars. It runs pretty good for a while and then I run into my problem. My problem is that my screen goes completely blank and then reappears with this error message.

It happens to me every time I play Guild Wars. It never fails.

Anybody know why it does this? Any advice on what to do? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

-wjl

Reaction score
Welcome to the site "Water Toshibo 7":ciao:

I was getting this error also - I decided it was because my hardware was to old - I then upgraded from onboard graphics to a PCIe card. Unfortunately you do not have this option with a Laptop. - You can however disable your Windows Aero feature - This is less taxing on the video drivers and may stop the errors while gaming. Then after you are finished gaming or watching videos you can turn Windows Aero back on - Its not a solution but rather a quick fix till or if ever a better driver is created

Reaction score
Aside from updating your drivers, have you overclocked your video card? The only times I get this error is when I OC too much and the driver will stop responding during a heavy game.

Reaction score
Aside from updating your drivers, have you overclocked your video card? The only times I get this error is when I OC too much and the driver will stop responding during a heavy game.
Is it even possible to overclock your video on a laptop?

Reaction score
I am having this very same issue. My display driver fails daily and then immediately recovers. However, I am not playing games at all. All I do is chat on paltalk, listen to youtube once in a while, check my email . My new system is a toshiba, satelite windows 7 64 bit professional with i3 core inside. I am beginning to think my system is faulty and I am worried something bad will happen. its less than a month old.

DeeperStill

Reaction score
Hi DeeperStill - Welcome to w7forums

My advice to you would be to take the laptop back for a replacement. You should not be having these issues on a new machine. However you can try updating your graphics drivers to see if that helps first.

Reaction score
would you happen to know where I could upgrade my driver? I think its a NVIDIA Geforce 310 M

when I try to update it, it says its the latest version

I am watching it closely and probalby will call up Best Buy's Geek squad, ( where I purchased it) and let them know of my issue.

Thanks for your help

Ask a Question