Disk space need for Install Windows 7 Ultimate + Design Apps ?

Reaction score
Hi, tomorrow i will go to the shop to buy a Windows 7 Ultimate , and i want to know more or less how many GB i could need for install it , and for install some apps like Open Office, Photoshop CS4 and other 3D Design apps , and perhaps use some games in a future.

40 GB is ok for that no ? ( I will look for app requirements , but 40 GB is a lot :),and i think i have space for a lot of apps )

I have a 120 GB SSD , and 53 Gb are for linux , 20 GB for Hackintosh (in a future) and 40- 47 GB for win apps.

For data , 500 Gb in NTFS for save windows data,but i will have about 2 TB in linux partitions from other hhds for save data from 3d / CG projects and other things in a permanent way.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You'll need 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit), and that is just for Windows 7 - it won't install with any less. You could probably get away with 40GB - but you'll need to be careful what you install.

You can always re-size partitions a little if your requirements change. :)

Reaction score
And can i have for example 50 GB in the SSD for windows , and another partition of 100 GB or like only for install apps like Photoshop ?

So C: with 50 GB for install Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and some apps, and D: with other 100 GB (from a HD where i have a lot of space but is not as fast as a SSD) where install the rest of the things.

I suppose that windows update need space from c: but that all that you install that is not windows , you can select where install it no ?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
whitewolf573, do you really need Ultimate? I have Pro, and except for a couple of things (Bit Locker & the language packs) I have everything. Those couple of things probably takes room. I'm figuring you want Bit Locker, a lot of Ultimate users do. I once had 7 Home Premium dual booting with XP Pro on a 40GB drive, but I was tight on space. But it can be done. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Make sure you leave enough room for swap file, too, unless you set that up on another drive or partition.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Make sure you leave enough room for swap file, too, unless you set that up on another drive or partition.
I have a swap for Linux, but do you need one for Windows, too? I've never created one for Windows when dualbooting between them, only when installing a Linux OS.

Reaction score
whitewolf573, do you really need Ultimate? I have Pro, and except for a couple of things (Bit Locker & the language packs) I have everything. Those couple of things probably takes room. I'm figuring you want Bit Locker, a lot of Ultimate users do. I once had 7 Home Premium dual booting with XP Pro on a 40GB drive, but I was tight on space. But it can be done. Best of luck to you.
Yes , in first time i thought to buy the ultimate because the bit lock option, but perhaps i buy the pro option. I will think if i could need it , and in the evening go to the shop :)

My HDD is a 120 GB Solid State Disk that have 3 partitions (a linux swap of 8 GB , 15 GB / for CentOS, and 30 GB home)

That gives me 67 GB free for windows and perhaps hackintosh (but hackintosh i have read is quite instable , so perhaps i use 60 GB for Win 7 system , 100 GB of another disk for apps , and 500gb more for data.

And if i want to install one day the hackintosh , i would use a portion of another disk , not the ssd and fine :)

So 40-60 GB would be only for win 7.

I have a swap for Linux, but do you need one for Windows, too? I've never created one for Windows when dualbooting between them, only when installing a Linux OS.
I don't know if in windows you can use another partition as swap, but what i know is that there are what are called swap files , that are swaps in a file in the hard disk.

When you use photoshop a lot , normaly i think it is recomended to install it in other disk, and in the settings menu , select another disk for save a swap file for photoshop or like.

What i remember , is that photoshop sometimes need a lot of memory , and lets you to select a Hard disk where save a swap or something like , to work with it , for photoshop uses only. Something like that.

Also in windows , at least XP , there is a option to change the amount of swap file used and things like that.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
No. By default Windows installs its swap aka paging file in the root of the system drive. Sometimes, for various performance-improving reasons, users set up a partition specifically for the paging file on another hard drive. For most users, I think it's unnecessary to mess with it. I've done it before and the benefits were negligible, if there even were any. I guess if you had very little memory on your system it might be something to explore.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
No. By default Windows installs its swap aka paging file in the root of the system drive. Sometimes, for various performance-improving reasons, users set up a partition specifically for the paging file on another hard drive. For most users, I think it's unnecessary to mess with it. I've done it before and the benefits were negligible, if there even were any. I guess if you had very little memory on your system it might be something to explore.
I have been putting my Paging File on another hard drive for years. Windows likes it better that way. Also causes less fragmentation on the C drive too.

It's best to put it at the front on the hard drive where the fastest access time is. Put it in as a separate partition and it will work best.

Also, since your main drive is an SSD drive, it is HIGHLY recommended that the Paging File be put on another hard drive do to the reason I listed of less fragmentation. Everyone I know who has an SSD is doing this, since the SSD makers are recommending this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When you use photoshop a lot , normaly i think it is recomended to install it in other disk, and in the settings menu , select another disk for save a swap file for photoshop or like.

What i remember , is that photoshop sometimes need a lot of memory , and lets you to select a Hard disk where save a swap or something like , to work with it , for photoshop uses only. Something like that.

What you will run into is the photoshop cache for the main application and for bridge. Go into the preferences for each and change thier location. That would free up space that would normally go under the Users directory.

Ask a Question