SOLVED Digital Camera upload software

Reaction score
I would like to plugin my CP card and have an app that would allow me to select the photos to upload, select the folder (and possibly create a folder if an appropriate one does not exist), define a title for the upload and optonally erase the upload from the cp card. Free would be nice but a nominal priced app would be OK. Any suggestions?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Windows Explorer.

When you plug in your camera's card it functions just like a flash drive/pen drive. All your photos are there. You can right-click and choose Preview to view them or you can set the folder to large icon view and actually see little miniatures of the pictures.
Camera1.jpg

You can select My Pictures (or My Documents, etc, any place on your hard drive where you have write permission and wish to store them) and right-click to create a new folder if desired.
Camera2.jpg

Then select the camera folder again and you can use the Ctrl key to click-select specifically the files you wish to copy (The Ctrl button tells windows to select another file without deselecting the previous selection). Then drag the files to the folder on your hard drive and drop it.
Camera3.jpg

If you then go back to the folder on the camera drive you can select the ones you want to delete or delete the whole folder. NOTE: Be careful you are positioned on the camera drive and not the harddrive where you copied them.
Camera4.jpg
Another key shortcut you can use here is to select the first file in the list and then hold the SHIFT key and select the last file in the list (The shift key tells windows to select all the files between the first and last selection). Or even easier just right click on the folder itself and delete the files and the folder (your camera will automatically recreate the picture folder the next time you use it).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. However, when I plug in the card, I do not get any icon as I would with a flash drive. The computer has a CF slot. This may work if I use a cable from the camera to an USB port. I'll try that.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Not sure I understand when you say an icon but you should definitely have a drive letter in windows explorer if it is working properly. In fact on mine the drive letter is always there even when the card is not plugged in; it simply reads (G: ) Removable Disk. In fact with my media manager it reserves 4 drive letters by default (though I have disabled the three I don't use). You might plug it in and then check under any "Removable Disk" Drives you see. And because the drive is always present you may not get the autostart window like most people do when they plug in a USB stick but that doesn't mean the files aren't there under one of the drive letters in Windows Explorer.

It's also possible the drivers aren't loaded for your Media Manager. Or is there any chance you disabled them in control panel\device manager like I did the three I don't use?

I don't know about yours but my Nikon no longer functions via the USB connection because there are no drivers for Vista or W7 so for me I MUST use my media manager and plug in the memory card.

Reaction score
My Widows Explorer does not list the unused USB ports or the CF port. When I plugin a flash drive, it immediately comes up in the drive list. I checked in device manager and the USB ports are listed but there is no reference to the CF port. The port is active since when I plugin a CF card, a window comes up that allows me to upload pictures. It just doesn't have the flexibility I would like. Any ideas?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you post a picture of "a window comes up that allows me to upload pictures"? I would like to see the options.

Also, while it is still plugged in please go to control panel\Administrative Tools ... Select Computer Management ... Select Disk Management and see if there is anything in the bottom section. If there is a drive there with no drive letter assigned then right-click and see if it allows you to assign one.
DiskMgmt.jpg

If the above doesn't work, please go to control panel\device manager and expand disk drives and right-click on CF Reader and choose properties, then go to the driver tab. Adjust the properties window so both are visible and post a screenshot.
Example:
CF-Reader.jpg

Reaction score
This has not been solved. I'm waiting for a reply to my last post.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I did reply. Could you please post the screenshots I asked for and also see if anything is listed under disk management that does not have a drive letter assigned.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Okay... a CF port is Compact Flash port. What is a CP card? Never heard of it.

You need to be more specific please. Post some screenshots as TM requested. We can't read your mind.

Plugging in your camera with a USB cable to a spare USB port will work also. A lot of the time it's a little simpler to do that. Have you checked to be sure your CF port is plugged in on the motherboard?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
CF port is Compact Flash port. What is a CP card?
We're talking about the memory card from the camera which plugs into the CF port.

Plugging in your camera with a USB cable to a spare USB port will work also. A lot of the time it's a little simpler to do that.
This is definitely worth a try. In my opinion it's easier then pulling the card out of the camera. I would still use this method myself, if it was supported for my camera by Nikon.

Have you checked to be sure your CF port is plugged in on the motherboard?
When the memory card is plugged in an autoplay window pops up so it is definitely wired up.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
We're talking about the memory card from the camera which plugs into the CF port.
I knew that, I assumed he just had a typo since there is no such thing as a "CP card". It's a CF card.

When the memory card is plugged in an autoplay window pops up so it is definitely wired up.
I knew that too, I was tired when I posted and didn't see his post stating that. As some ports go, such as yours TM, they do show up all the time; I believe it depends upon if there's a controller chip with the port.

I don't see what the issue is if when the card is inserted the port then the window pops up. That's normal for Windows 7 from what I've observed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I knew that, I assumed he just had a typo since there is no such thing as a "CP card". It's a CF card.
I never even noticed the typo, I guess I'm just used to reading over them.

I don't see what the issue is if when the card is inserted the port then the window pops up. That's normal for Windows 7 from what I've observed.
Apparently it doesn't have all the options, that's why I was hoping the OP would post a screenshot.

It definitely has to be there as a drive somewhere, I figure maybe it just isn't being assigned a drive letter.

Maybe they are off for the long weekend, hopefully they post back later.

Reaction score
To Trainableman. I'm sorry I didn't follow your suggestions concerning disk management. I checked and found the CF card as drive #1. That took care of the problem. I currently have any photos automatically open up my Paint Shop app and now I can edit, save or delete photos without going thru the steps before. Thank you very much. Incidentally my last response was to a request that I close the thread and was not directed to you, specifically. Thanks again.

Ask a Question