Defrag doesn't run

Reaction score
I tried to run defrag tonight, but it doesn't run. Any suggestions about what the problem is? Thanks!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can open the Action Center (click the white flag) and go to Maintenance. Select Troubleshooting, and it will scan for issues. Did you analyse before attempting to defrag? It might not make a difference, but sometimes Windows 7 is a little picky about tasks. So far, it has been the easiest Windows for me to maintain. You can download a third party defragmenting tool, such as Defraggler, and see if that works. Hope this helps, and Welcome to the fourms, tubbfan! Post back if you have problems.

Reaction score
Try some third party defragmentation programs:
http://www.diskeeper.com ( you have to sign up and its only trialware )
http://download.cnet.com/Smart-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10759533.html ( free and defrags files you use most automatically )
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag ( Disk Defrag has a home use version and a trial version you can download )

try some of the third party defrag programs and see if they work.
I have a few more questions for you though:
1) what do you mean it "doesn't run" do you get an error message? Does the program not even appear to have executed?
2) what version of windows 7 do you have 64 bit or 32? it will help me refer you to more applications.
3) has the defrag program ever worked before? Have you successfully ran the program in the past?
4) have you tried to defrag in safe mode?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does using a third party program really solve my problem?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
All right, lets go to the defragmenter program. You will see a list of discs, the first will be your main (C), if your computer is fairly new with a recovery partition, there will be another drive (D), then there's another partition listed as System. Click the first disc listed (C), it will highlight in blue, select Analyse, it will take a couple of minutes, then report to you the percentage of fragmentation. Then click it again and select Defragment Disc. If this doesn't work, you have a problem with your software. Either it is corrupt or needs reinstalling (the OS itself). Are there any more problems that you are having? The reason I ask is, this is a software and not a mechanical problem. It should at the very least analyse it. No, a third party program will be a temporary solution. It will defrag your system, but the default one in Windows 7 is supposed to work. I've never had one that didn't work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I go to START, and try to open disk defragmenter, but nothing opens. That's my problem.

Reaction score
Does using a third party program really solve my problem?
If you can successfully defragment your hard drive with third party application then yes... Because you have accomplished the task of defragmenting your hard drive.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can reboot your computer, hit F8, and restart in debug mode and see if it helps. Did the program ever work?

Reaction score
I go to START, and try to open disk defragmenter, but nothing opens. That's my problem.
after you try to open the defrag program hit Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the task man then goto the processes tab and see if you can see the process dfrgui.exe is it there?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If you can successfully defragment your hard drive with third party application then yes... Because you have accomplished the task of defragmenting your hard drive.
You're right, you can do this. But there is an underlying problem somewhere here. Did you install the OS, or was it preinstalled? If it is under warranty, contact you OEM at once for service. If you installed the OS, you may need to reinstall it. That is not an optional service, but a necessity.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're right, you can do this. But there is an underlying problem somewhere here.
Ya but at least the hard drive is defragmented, I don't use the software supplied with the operating system to defrag my drive. But your right there is a problem somewhere.

Reaction score
no, it is not there
Ok then that means that indeed the Defrag program is not executing, how often do you defrag? Did this program work a week or longer ago? If it did you may be able to do a system restore from a restore point, and see if that works for ya.

Reaction score
I haven't run defrag yet, but I will try the restore point option. Thanks

Reaction score
Also you need substantial free space on the hard drive or defrag won't run.. Is your free space OK?

Reaction score
yes, my computer is only about 6 mos. old and I haven't loaded too much on it

Reaction score
yes, my computer is only about 6 mos. old and I haven't loaded too much on it
I was reading one person (running Vista) had a problem simular to yours and their task Scheduler was disabled. All they had to do was start it in order to run defrag. Anyway hope things work out for you I g2g but try the options me and catilley1092 were talking about and see if your up and running again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, task scheduler opens. How do I know if it is enabled?
To be honest, I wouldn't worry about the defragmentation software supplied with Windows. Did you try some of those links I gave you? Some of those are really nice programs and work with as much efficiency as the one supplied with Windows.

Ask a Question