Cryptographic services has stopped working

Reaction score
Hello, I have a couple of problems with my clean installed Windows 7 build 7000

Shortly after booting and going to explorer I get the message that "Cryptographic services has stopped working."

Ifi send an error report, any solutions that come back via Action Center result in "This program cannot display the web page"

Also maybe related Windows Update often fails to complete the request.

I have scanned various web sources for others having this problem(Cryptographic) but have not seen any references.

I would be most pleased if anyone out there can assist me.

regards Fastbusy

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Fastbusy, welcome to the site :)

Load up the services window by doing a search for "services" on the start menu. You should be able to restart the cryptographic service by finding it in the list, right clicking on it and then click start.

I suspect that there is some corruption, so it might be worth doing a clean install again (which isn't so bad if you're not going to lose any data).

Reaction score
Thankyou Ian, originally I did an upgrade to my Vista Ultimate 32 bit.
The problem existed there, that's why I did a clean install.
IF my iso disc was corrupted, would the install have succeeded without error warnings?
If this is not the case should I burn a new dvd or try a fresh download?
My data is safe, however there are lots of software programs loaded.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
To be on the safe side, I'd re-download the ISO. As the corruption could be caused at many stages, it's best to err on the side of caution as long as it's easy enough to re-download the ISO.

Reaction score
Redownload Windows 7

Thanks Ian, I have redownload the os and installed, the problem seems to have disappeared. Still lots of programs to reinstall.
Fingers crossed

Ask a Question