Creating a Custom Windows 7 Image

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been tasked with creating an custom image of a reference PC reduce configuration time when a new user is hired. Can anyone recommend software that is able to do this that isn't overly difficult? It doesn't have to be able to deploy to multiple PC's at a time.

Thank you !

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply Shintaro. Indeed, all the computers we use are the same type, however, I was looking be able to load all the Windows Updates / Programs / Drivers into an image, save it on a server for storage and be able to deploy it to 1 or more systems.

I've tried using MDT 2010, but the program is always having some type of issue, whether it be something with the credentials or some other error, so I am hoping there is an alternate but similar solution.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Someone else has probably imaged PC more recently than me, but the last time I imaged PC's was with Norton's Ghost.

I am sure someone will have something else.

So all the PC's have identical motherboard, RAM, Video card, Hard drives, etc...?

Reaction score
Indeed, they order the same standard HP PC for a majority of the users, unless it's an executive.

I hope so, and I'm sure there is another imaging / deployment software out there besides MDT.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Yes, but that license is per Workstation (PC) or server. So it might get exspensive quickly.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Acronis makes very good software. It looks like it could get pricey though.

If y'all want to save some cash, then try the Guru Guy's tutorial here: http://magalan.co.uk/Create_a_Custom_Windows_7_Image_For_Network_Installation.html

and this guide too if you've never worked with WAIK (Windows Automated Installation Kit). Go here: http://magalan.co.uk/Customise_Windows_7_Deployment_Automated_Installation_Kit.html

It looks rather comprehensive and will take some time to create the initial image disc(s). If you have the time and such, it should be not too difficult.

I personally have used WAIK in the past to make a couple of custom Windows 7 install discs with the drivers, favorite software and such. It only took about four hours or so.

Last edited:

Ask a Question