Converting Windows 7 32bit to Windows7 64 Bit

gch

Reaction score
I upgraded from Vista to W7 some 4 months ago and have the Home Premium Upgrade package from Vista to Windows 7.

I cannot see a way of now moving from 32bit to 64 bit as the 64 bit disk won't work.

I do feel stupid about this but surely, there must be a way without buying an upgrade from W7 32 to W7 64.

Can you point me in the right direction please. I know it has to be a clean install and have backed up already.

Graham

Letchworth Garden City

UK

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
There is no 'updrade' from 32 bit to 64 bit. Only a clean install would do it. Good luck.

gch

Reaction score
Clean Install from W7 32 to W7 64

Many thanks for your speedy response. I Understood that I needed a clean instal. My question is why the 64 bit disk I have will not allow me to do it.

I am hoping that I will not have to buy yet another disc from Microsoft as the Vista upgrade would have allowed me to go straight to 64 Bit.

Is there any Online software that I can install and then use my legitimate licence key to set it running.

many thanks

Graham

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
A couple of questions...

Did you buy the full retail Win7 home premium? or the upgrade version from Vista?

You say the the 64 bit disk won't work, do you get an error? what does it say?

Also, can you post your computer specs?

I am sure you will get the answers here, as this is by far the best Win 7 forum there is. And welcome to the forum :)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions...

Did you buy the full retail Win7 home premium? or the upgrade version from Vista?

You say the the 64 bit disk won't work, do you get an error? what does it say?

Also, can you post your computer specs?

I am sure you will get the answers here, as this is by far the best Win 7 forum there is. And welcome to the forum :)
Agreed.

Hum... A member had a similar problem not long ago. It was because the HD wasn't set as RAID, or something else to do with the HD. Will try to remember it.

Kalario, you can do a clean install using an upgrade DVD. That's what I did, and there aren't any problems with that.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
In order to do a clean or "custom" install, do the following:

1. Set the DVD drive to be the first boot device in the motherboard's BIOS.
2. Reboot with the x64 install DVD in the DVD drive, when a prompt appears that says: "Press Any Key To Boot From CD/DVD drive." Do that within 4-5 seconds.
3. The install should begin with a Windows 7 Install screen and files loading.
4. When you get to the screen that shows the hard drive and any partitions, delete all partitions and create new ones. Have one at least 48-64GB in size to install the OS to and the remainder of the hard drive as a separate partition.

You should be good to go now! Follow the prompts on the rest of the install and you'll have Windows 7 x64 version.

gch

Reaction score
No disk Space Left

Many thanks indeed. The transfer to 64 bit worked perfectly.

HOWEVER, I am left with virtually no disk space.

I do have 3 huge folders marked as.OLD and I presume it is safe to delete these.

Can you confirm that many/most/all files marked as .old are safe to delete.

A pleaseure to have found you and many thanks for your very speedy response.

Graham

gch

Reaction score
Permission fron TRUSTED INSTALLER

I can't de;lete abot 12 gb of files and their folders because of this message. I've eread up about it and haven't yet found a nice and easy work around.

Does such a widget/utility exist please.

Don't you just love the clever boys and girls at Microsoft.

Graham

Letchworth Garden City

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Have you tried booting into safe mode and trying to delete them from there?

Reactions: gch

gch

Reaction score
I did not understand the last reply at all and I've just noticed that my headline with the issue didm;t appear in the text of my message.

The issue relates to "TRUSTEDINSTALLER" which is 'protecting' several gigabyte of files.

This was the work around I was hoping to get some guidance on.

Having quickly read through the forums I couldn't see a quick remedy.

Any help please.

Graham

letchworth Garden City

Reaction score
What about Windows Cleanup, will it give you the option to remove the old files?

Follow the "All Programs - Accessories - System Tools" path on the Start menu.
Click and select "Disk Cleanup".

Last edited:
Reactions: gch

gch

Reaction score
That didn't work. I think you have to unlock the files individually in ordrt to delete them but I don't have that sort of technical knowlledge hence my request to be pointed towards a utility if such a one exists,

Graham

Letchworth Garden City

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you tried Disk Cleanup in Safe mode? That should work.

What about taking ownership of the .old folders and deleting them then? Or, you could try a linux Live CD, as you shouldn't have problems with permissions in that case.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
If gch had done a true clean install and wiped the partitions clean and reconfigured them as I had mentioned in my previous post he wouldn't have this issue now.

Ask a Question