Converting LP's to files >CD

Reaction score
I've got a lot of good vinyl that I'd like to make copies off onto CD or perhaps DVD.
I'm familiar in principle of what you have to do but never tried it in practice.

Need to get myself a USB turntable first but then is there anything native within windows 7 media centre that can do it or should I get some other type of software and if so what is recommended.

I'm guessing I'd want a quality turntable to at least come close the the one I had with my HiFi otherwise I might loose a lot in the translation.

So suggestions as to software and hardware would be welcome as well as to opinions of whether or not I should do it through Win 7 or XP. Software with a simple interface is preferred as all I'd want to do is remove any hiss or pops from the records, not interfere with the original recording itself.

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
I've done a few conversions myself. Any turntable with RCA output connections will work. Connect the RCA to a line-in port on the computer. Use a recording software to capture line-in and then save to disk.

The software I was using is called Audacity from sourceforge.net.

Reaction score
Thanks Cliff, I've heard reference to Audacity. Did you find it good to use? I would not bother but I cannot even get a replacement stylus for my 'good' turntable anymore.
I'll unfortunately have to buy another Turntable as the one I have is a B&O (Bang & Olufsun), it originally came with a DIN connector which back in the late 70's early 80's was uncommon over here, I had to get it converted and it gave me huge problems for a while with just a traditional 'amp' so I'd not even think of trying it on the fussy Pc's of today.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Go to this link here: How to convert vinyl LPs to CD (WAV or MP3)

Good tutorial and info. Plus you don't really need a USB turntable if you have a good turntable and preamp or a preamp out on your receiver setup.

Audacity (free program) or Sony Soundforge will do the software end of it for you.

Audacity is a top-rated program for what you want to do and it is very highly regarded by audiophiles.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I agree on using Audacity, it's simple and fast and free. I have an old Table and Amp and just hook directly into the back of my computer using a line with RCA plugs on one end and a stereo mini plug on the other, simple!

Reaction score
Thanks for suggestions everyone.
Just conversationally now, all this talk about turntables and stuff got me looking at the websites of the few remaining true Audiophile shops in Melbourne and the prices of some stuff blew me away.
Now in the late 70's when I was probably earning about $200 a week I used to save up or pay off midrange quality stuff, amps for $580, turntables for $650, that sort of stuff.. 'cheap' was in the $80-$150 mark and the esoteric stuff was in the 1.5-3k range (for a single thing).
I found a couple of turntables, one was 6.5 k and the other 6.2K. What really got me though (they were different brands) was the more expensive one was said to be "quote, upgradeable with higher end components Unquote" Sheesh ,what must they be like and what would you upgrade from when the thing was already $6.5k !!!. The other turntable for $6.2K was said to "offer all the best features and performance of the more expensive models at a more budget friendly price" Gobsmacked and I thought I knew a bit about HiFi gear.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
While Audacity will work, it is not the preferred method. LPs require RIAA Equalization to sound properly. While Audacity can apply the equalization after the transfer, the preferred method is to connect the turntable to a phono input on a pre-amplifier that has the necessary hardware to amplify the very low levels from the stylus/phono cartridge to "line level" output with the equalization applied.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That's what I stated in my post above. It's really necessary to use a pre-amp to boost the signal from the phono cartridge.

Reaction score
Some if not all of the USB turntables I have been looking at have a pre-amp installed within them. My original 'home stereo' turntable does not.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
In my case I have an old amplifier with a phono input and a tape line out. The amplifier has the phono pre-amp built into it and the tape line out is where I plug my rca to mini line which I run into my computer line in. If you already have a record player and amp with a phono line, all you need is the cable (and to be able to reach your computer from where your table and amp are)

Reaction score
I've also started looking through Amazon online and found and least one series of my LP collection is now available on CD already. Usually no more then $16 (per CD). Probably more convenient although having said that I've got about 30 Lp's I'd like to copy and once it's priced up that way then doing it myself is cheaper.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Computers and sound boards don't handle phono levels out. Therefore, all USB turntables MUST have RIAA equalization and amplification built in. You cannot get a "flat" response curve out of an album without the equalization.

Ask a Question