Convert 64-bit to 32-bit

Reaction score
I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 Home Premium already installed. I have been told I need to switch to 32-bit to allow some software to work. How do I do this?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome to the forums!
To do this, you have to have an install DVD of Windows 7. Seeing as this is a new computer with Windows 7 Pre-loaded, you probably don't have it. So your best shot is to download the 32bit iso and install that using the key that came with the computer.

The iso:
https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html

You'll want to download from the first link and then burn the iso to a DVD.
Though, are you sure you can't run the software? Have you tried? Most 32bit softwares do work.

Hope this helps,
Fire Cat

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Remember you will have to do a clean install, so back up your stuff before you do the install (divers, programs, etc...)

Good luck

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
What software are you concerned about?

Reaction score
It is Harms Software Millineum program (salon/spa software). They have an application called Millineum.net that allows customers to book appts online. They are saying that Millineum.net will not work on 64-bit.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I see, It looks like 32bit business software. Follow the advice of the others in this post and good luck.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it came preinstalled then your product key is probably located on a sticker on your computer somewhere. If it is not you must get that key from your existing system before you do the fresh install.

A good program to retrieve your systems product keys is SIW (System Information for Windows). If you need to get your product key, install this free program. Then in the sections on the left you want Licenses, the 7th item down under Software.

http://www.gtopala.com/

Reaction score
Hello Heity,

Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.
Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP
I hope that helps you out!
You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Windows7Guy (John), Heity isn't upgrading at all - the computer came with Win 7 Home Premium in 64 bit. Heity simply wants to reinstall using 32bit Home Premium.

BTW, it's a good idea to back up your drivers as suggested but for the most part this will be incase you ever go 64bit in the future. 32bit drivers will be required for your reinstall.

Reaction score
windows 7

I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 Home Premium already installed. I have been told I need to switch to 32-bit to allow some software to work. How do I do this?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

Hi! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website! :ciao:

First question is... who told you that you need to switch to 32-bit Windows 7?

Second, what are the programs you need to run? Nearly all 32-bit software will run on the Windows 7 64-bit operating system. It even has a "Programs Folder (x86)" installed in the C drive which is just for 32-bit software.

Third, it wouldn't be a driver you need now would it? That could be an issue.

You can't just "switch" to 32-bit. It is necessary to do a complete clean install because the two versions are not compatible. Different kernals and dlls etc.

If you could give us some more information that would be helpful.

Many Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a new laptop a few days ago, with Windows 7 Home Premium installed in it. But I'm not too sure why I wasn't given a choice to install it as 64 bits instead of 32 bits (the initial laptop they gave me shows that option, but due to some problem, I changed for a new one, right on spot though) And this new one brought me straight to a 32bits setting the moment I turned on the laptop.
There are some programs which I wanted to install requires 64 bits, but I can't find any way to solve it, can anyone help me with this? :( Many thanks!

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a new laptop a few days ago, with Windows 7 Home Premium installed in it. But I'm not too sure why I wasn't given a choice to install it as 64 bits instead of 32 bits (the initial laptop they gave me shows that option, but due to some problem, I changed for a new one, right on spot though) And this new one brought me straight to a 32bits setting the moment I turned on the laptop.
There are some programs which I wanted to install requires 64 bits, but I can't find any way to solve it, can anyone help me with this? :( Many thanks!
Hi and welcome.

To my knowledge, 99.9% of all new computers are sold with 64bit windows installed unless specifically custom ordered at 32bit. 64bit hardware is available cheaply these days.

Please make sure your new laptop is what you say. Go to start and right click computer and click properties. Post a screen shot of that screen.

Can you tell us where you purchased tour computer? As it's only a few days old, I would swap it out again.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

To my knowledge, 99.9% of all new computers are sold with 64bit windows installed unless specifically custom ordered at 32bit. 64bit hardware is available cheaply these days.

Please make sure your new laptop is what you say. Go to start and right click computer and click properties. Post a screen shot of that screen.

Can you tell us where you purchased tour computer? As it's only a few days old, I would swap it out again.
Hi, thanks for the reply!

I bought my laptop on 27th Nov, during an I.T. fair show (it's called Sitex, held in Singapore).

I had attached my screenshot, please do take a look, thanks in advance!

Attachments

Reaction score
Clueless, yours is 32-bit version, with 6 Gb of Ram it was not a good idea to install 32-bit. Ask Toshiba support to send you Windows 7 64-bit install DVD, since you need all the RAM installed usable- it's their fault.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I agree with cybercore. You paid for ram you can't use.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Perhaps he didn't purchase it directly from Toshiba. It may have been a middle-man who was reselling.

He can download the 64-bit version of Home Premium from the "Sticky" in the Install section here at this website. Then he can just use the same product key he is currently using.

Reaction score
64 bit to 32 bit

So do I understand that if I download to 32 bit Home Premium software from Microsoft, Do a clean boot and install this software then I can use the key for my 64 bit Home premium to initialize it? I just bought a new Acer laptop and before I load any software I want to downgrade. I have some software that will only run on 32 bit OS. Will there be any issues with drivers going from 64 bit to 32 bit?

Reaction score
win7 switch to 32bit by reinstallations,to restoring,or update/upgrade with newer setups.............but win7 ultimate version is quite different.....

Ask a Question