Controller Error 11 on Disk2/DR4

Reaction score
That is just the latest usb port 4 because I have switched around the External Drive to different usb ports but the error remains the same except for the DR number which changes with where I place the drive. Now, the drive I'm talking about is a Verbatim 931 gb external drive formatted to NTFS. This error has been going on now for the last couple of weeks but I wasn't sure which drive they were talking about until I used the process of elimination. I use this drive in conjunction with Acronis True Image 2014. I do all my backups with it but now I have this problem. I went into Device Manager and noticed that the drive is not identified by Verbatim there. It is identified as Samsung HN-M101MBB usb device. Strange.As you can see the 11 Error all show up within a minute of each other. What am I supposed to do with this external driv? Windows says I am using the best driver when I tried to auto update.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
What is the Verbatim model number?

Maybe, you can remove the HD from the enclosure if the controller is bad. You can buy a cheap enclosure on ebay to replace it.

The Samsung HN-M101MBB is an actual drive. HERE it is on new egg.

Reaction score
What is the Verbatim model number?

Maybe, you can remove the HD from the enclosure if the controller is bad. You can buy a cheap enclosure on ebay to replace it.

The Samsung HN-M101MBB is an actual drive. HERE it is on new egg.
I never even got a heads up that you answered my post. I always subscribe to my posts. I wonder what happened here. Why does this Verbatim Model # SNG1TB125. If you go into my Device Manager you get the Verbatim External Disk Drive listed as Samsung HN-M101MBB. You can't get it out of the plastic case however. It was bought as a Verbatim External Drive 931 GB. Guess what? You can take it out of the plastic case. There was a video on YouTube showing you exactly how to take it out of the case with a credit card. I had run a chkdsk /f/r on the Verbatim and reformatted it and so far I haven't had another error. So far that is. I was wondering now that I know I can take this out of the case my laptop has an SSD as it's main system drive. This acer laptop had a 2nd bay on the bottom so when I installed the SSD in the main bay I put the old Seagate into the 2nd bay. I wonder if I could take this 931 Samsung/Verbatim out of the case and swap it out with the 596 gb that is in there now and use that as my Data disk instead? What do you think?
There was a couple of problems that the chkdsk /f/r found and fixed on the Verbatim/Samsung. I got ahead of myself typing and forgot to mention why I didn't have the controller error now.
By the way your reply was in my inbox in Outlook. You must have just posted it when I found it by bookmark first. Like I said I get ahead of myself.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
If there was bad sectors on the disk after running chkdsk then the disk is at the end of its life.
Taking the disk out of the enclosure and putting it in your laptop will depend on your laptop. Is the laptop 2nd bay sata or IDE interface. Is the disk in the enclosure a SATA or IDE interface?

Reaction score
The drive that is in the 2nd bay now is the original before I upgraded to the Corsair SSD. It is a Samsung HM641J1/596GB. The Samsung that is in the Verbatim case, still don't know how they get away with doing that, is the one that had the bad sector but when I ran the chkdsk /f/r it said in the log that it had repaired said block or sector. I'm not really down with this so maybe I need to leave as is. The thing about that Samsung/Verbatim is it's not old at all and to get a bad sector is just weird. I don't think I have even had it for a year yet and it isn't like overused. The odd Acronis TI backups. You have any other ideas I'm all ears.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

If it has bad sectors then it only gets worse. There is no fixing bad sectors. All the programs do is move the data to a different spot on the disk. But the problem will only get worse.

Can you return it? Is it still under warranty?

Reaction score
It has a checkbox that says "Fix Bad Sectors" or repair or is that just moving it around? I will have to look into the warranty part but I believe I paid 100. canadian dollars for it.

Shintaro

Reaction score
All the "repair" will do is mark that sector as bad so that it doesn't use it again and move the data to some other sector.

Good luck with the warranty.

Reaction score
Thank you My Friend. Just have to find this reciept now.

Ask a Question