Configure Windows 7 UAC - Discussion

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Good Article Ian, I do have UAC set to off as there is only me uses my main Computer, my wife also has hers set to off on her Computer ... bad idea to ask a woman is she sure / do you know what your doing LoL :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Between level 3 and level 2, supposedly, the only different is the screen dimming.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Good article Ian!

Personally, since I am the only user of my system I have the UAC off. However it would be a good feature to utilize if the computer is used by many people such as a family or an organization.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have it turned off as soon as I finish an installation. It is a visual warning, and does nothing to prevent an attack beyond that. most ant-virus programs do detect and, according to personal customisation, warn, delete or isolate dangerous programs, without the flag waving. I will admit that they seldom warn of dangers with .exe programs, which is all that the UAC prioritises. Fwiw. For the same reasons, I (not a recommendation to all!) turn off Windows Defender and the Action centre. - No longer the Defender, as I now use MSE.
In spite of that, I would not regard the UAC's importance as benefitting only multi users? It provides the same level of warning even to a single user.
A useful article, Ian. There are so many ways to skin the cat in Windows 7, as in many OS's.The search method , I would say, is definitely the quickest. But maybe you could add the very user friendly way of getting there through the Msconfig - Tools path?

I

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Dave, I believe UAC's primary goal is to protect User1s data from User2 and visa versa and I could be wrong, but I figure that is Nibs thinking as well. Yes it has another function of trying to protect the novice user from themselves and that could be of value to some users which I figure is along your train of thought.

Personally, I disable mine because I find it so much easier to get to data I know is there.

Reaction score
Here is how it goes for me:

Install Windows. Boot to desktop. Disable UAC. Reboot. Do everything else. heh heh

I can see its value to a novice user however.

Ask a Question