Configure Sata as IDE or AHCI

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question I hope someone can answer. I have the ability to configure my Sata as IDE or AHCI. (My default setting was IDE). After doing some reading, it seems the AHCI is the better choice (faster, hot swapping, ect).

I tried it and, yes, everything seems a bit snappier but my problem comes in where I have an IDE DVD Burner and it does not show up on my windows explorer list at all (where, in the default IDE mode it is there).

I'm wondering if there is something I am missing or can do so that I can run in the AHCI and still see the IDE drive.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You should have a separate chipset on the motherboard that controls the IDE functions of your DVD drive.

On mine I have a JMicron JMB36X (it's labeled 'Gigabyte' but actually is JMicron) controller for two SATA ports and IDE functions , maybe yours is configured different, but with that chipset I set it to IDE and the main Intel ICH10R chipset to AHCI

Is your DVD showing up in the when the motherboard goes through the POST?

Is it showing up on your motherboard's BIOS?

Does it show up in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management ? If it does, but shows no drive letter, then you can assign it one from there.

Did you enable AHCI and the re-install Windows 7 or did you enable it afterward and then install the driver for it?

In all honesty I think it is in the BIOS settings that you'll find your answer if it's not solved in the Disk Management section of the Control Panel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: I tried to look for your model motherboard at the ASUS website, it wasn't listed so I tried the P755D link for the manual, but it kept shooting me back to the main page.
I swear the ASUS site is one of the most difficult sites I've seen to get around in. That's probably why I use Gigabyte motherboards... LOL! :)

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Thanks Nibiru. I figured it out myself a few hours after I posted and the solution was the BIOS. My board also has the JMicron Driver and it was set to AHCI, once I switched it to IDE my burner was there and I am a happy camper.

Ask a Question