Command prompt fails to open

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im running windows 7 release candidate, and I am trying to run the command promt. When i try to run it, the screen flashes, and then nothing else happens. Task manager says that it is running, but i am unable to locate it. Ive tried running it as an administrator, in safe mode and running the cmd from the main location on the system.

I did run Command prompt this morning, I tried to maximise it, and then the computer froze, displayed an interesting array of colors, and upon a restart, cmd promt just wouldnt load.

I appreciate any help, its driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance!

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Have you run the usualy checks for vriuses and maleware/spyware?

Was this a clean install, or an upgrade? If it does not work even in safe mode then it sounds like some OS files were corrupted. If it was an upgrade I'd suggest performing a clean install.

Did it used to work? It is possible that some program installed is causing the issue, so if it used to work that would give you someplace to start at. Make sure that "svchost.exe" is not listed in your Startup folder. Go to run -> "msconfig" -> Startup tab, and make sure "svchost.exe" is not listed in there to start with Windows 7, if it is then uncheck it and reboot.

Reaction score
I havent checked for spyware etc because i havent used the internet. The system was a clean install, svchost.exe is not running at startup, the hard drive is running perfetly after several scans of that as well.

Windows 7 startup repair does nothing, and the cmd promt there tells me to restart the computer (when trying to run the sfc/scannow) and to try again.

I was using cmd promt before the issue began, it happened just after i maximized the cmd window.

Also, i havent installed any programs that werent on my old windows 7 drive, when cmd did work.

Any thoughts?

Ask a Question