SOLVED "checking file system on C - fixed??

Reaction score
Hi, I was getting the famous: "When my computer boots up it shows a message "checking file system on C:" The countdown starts and stops at 1. At this point the computer freezes. The keyboard becomes inoperable and the screen continues to display the message.".
After reading numerous articles online (at work!) I eventually managed to get F8 to enter the advanced boot menu, chose safe boot and it ran a lot of checks but then froze for over 30 mins after the entry:
Loaded\windows\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS, whilst still showing the Please wait message at the bottom. I had to force a shut down to clear it. Tried a reboot but this time I remove the USB wireless stick thing first, (not sure if relevant). it went to the initial error but this time actually ran the CHKDSK, (after so many times of trying to get it too!!).
Eventually this ran I got the log in screen, plugged the USB stick back in, keyboard kicked in and no I am back on my pc and online!!
Obviously I am now worried about what is wrong with it and over whelmed with things to try etc??

Please help, is it fixed? do I need to run the system repair disk I made when I bought it (Nov 2009).
This is my first post so I am hoping PC spec shows up when I hit post?
Appreciate any comments, t'anks

Reaction score
Eventually this ran I got the log in screen, plugged the USB stick back in, keyboard kicked in and no I am back on my pc and online!!
Obviously I am now worried about what is wrong with it and over whelmed with things to try etc??

First watch your system for errors - is it running as smoothly as before, and are there any freezes. Report your results now or later, cause if you say all is perfect now then what do you expect from us?

Defragment all partitions of your hard drive.

Reaction score
Dear Cybercore, Many thanks for the reply and apologies if I appeared a little over worried about it all, bearing in mind as you say that it is fixed!?

I am not sure what I wanted from my posting, maybe to know if I should still run the system repair disk I made when I bought it (Nov 2009)? or if there is any kind of scans or tools I should run? Or do I just trust that the CHKDSK scan fixed what ever was wrong?
I haven't had an errors so far and will defrag my hard drive as you advise, thanks.
I am not sure what you meant by Report your results now or later sorry?

Lastly, I just wondered if it meant anything significant that the safe boot froze at the point after:
Loaded\windows\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS

I really am sorry if I am asking stupid questions here and really do appreciate your time and help,

Rhi

Reaction score
Report your results now or later
Means if you got issues that your PC malfunctions - report them now.
If no isues so far, report any time later if you get them.

Loaded\windows\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS
A device might have caused that, of course I can't know which exactly. A plug-and-play device likely.

So if you observe any issues like freezes, BSOD's, glitches or other feel free to report. Attach the archive then:

http://majorgeeks.com/SF_Diagnostic_Tool_d6520.html

Reaction score
Dear Cybercore,

All has been good until this eve when i got the above message and frozen screen, so I crashed it but then removed the tv indoor aerial i put in yesterday (PC is also a tv tuner) and it rebooted showed the scan page then went to the log in page, so query is do i need to remove the aerial before switching on pc every time?
Thanks

Sorry now a day later and as i switch on, the checkdisc scan started, i tapped F8 a few times and it stopped the countdown and went to login - what is happening?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ask a Question