checking file system... drive consistency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just purchased HP Pavillion dv-7-2273cl Entertainment Notebook. I haven't installed any programs yet. It did an online Windows update.

At boot it stops and gives me this msg: Checking file system on c: file type is NTFS (blah blah) one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.

Words close to that anyway. It counts down to check or skip but stops at 1 second to press any key... I ran diagnostics on all hardware, everything checks out OK. I haven't done any reconfiguring or added any hardware... This is out of the box preinstalled.

LMG

Reaction score
Just started experiencing the exact same problem when I booted up about 4-5 hours ago. HP Pavillion dv7 2270us.

I have had mine for a few days now and the only things that I have done differently to it today was install an secure app from my university in order to access the internet on campus (have added this app to other pcs running vista with no problem)

The message goes as this:

"checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
One of the disks needs ot be checked fonr consistency.
You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
To skip disk checking, press any key within XX second(s)."

Now, it counts down from 9 to 1 second, but then stops at 1 second and does nothing for like 15 - 20 minutes. then the screen goes black. If I try to cancel it by pressing any key, nothing happens either.

Reaction score
My personal opinion would be to return them ASAP. I would not put up with issues like this right from the box!

do the HP's come with factory re-install software? could you try to reformat the computer to factory (yes, i know they are brand new and in essence, factory already) defaults?

Perhaps there is just some silly "forgotten" file installed or corrupted. A re-format may solve the issue.

-Marc

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"My personal opinion would be to return them ASAP"

Sound advice. Tell them to fix it before you take delivery.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
@ renefabre & LMG

Take the PCs back today and tell them you want a replacement (not it fixing but a replacement and to see it boot up before you accept it, if the Store/Shop says they cant replace that model tell them you will accept the next model up ... for your trouble. Returned goods are not good for business and your in the right guys.

LMG

Reaction score
I have solved it!

I rebooted and hit F8 (something I haven't had to do on a PC since 1995 and completely forgot about). I selected "Repair Your Computer" and selected the first option that came up (something dealing with tools to repair issues) It went through and scanned with a bunch of different tools, the last one being CHKDSK. Didn't take long at all - more than 5 minutes, but less than 1/2 hour. The only error was found by - surprise, surprise - CHKDSK. The error was an issue with the System Volume and it was automatically repaired.

Prior to doing this I uninstalled Avira as there was some chatter about it being a problem (plus it has these annoying popups). That didn't fix it outright so may not be related at all, but who knows.

Anyway I went and reinstalled the secure app from my university and rebooted. No problems. Installed MSE (in replacement of Avira). rebooted. No problems.

Now I do have two follow-up question?:
1. Is this a type of problem that is hardware related and as such will just come back anyway so I should still exchange my PC for a new one? (I have 25 days left in 'no questions asked' return/exchange and they have done so for me in the past for something that was clearly my fault with an external hard drive). I would rather not if it is just a software thing and is resolved.
2. Where would one find information on this 'system volume' issue so I can learn what may have caused it in the first place?

Thanks for everyone's input. I really appreciate the support. :)

do the HP's come with factory re-install software? could you try to reformat the computer to factory (yes, i know they are brand new and in essence, factory already) defaults?
This was actually what I was originally attempting (doesn't comes with disks, but a separate partition.. made my own disks, though), but then figured it wouldn't hurt to try the scans first.

Reaction score
This was actually what I was originally attempting (doesn't comes with disks, but a separate partition.. made my own disks, though), but then figured it wouldn't hurt to try the scans first.
That was a smart move LMG. Scans never hurt anything and could always help.

As far as your question on the problem repeating itself. No one will ever know for sure, only time will tell. Personally I think it was a one time thing but you can never tell for sure.

This is also a question of do you trust this computer enough to keep it. Once the time is up you are stuck with it. On a second note do you really think a different computer would be any better than the one you already have?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
As you have 25 days keep and run the computer for a week or two and see how things go.

System Volume Information is actually a part of System Restore and most of the time you'll never have any reason to access the System Volume Information folder but if you enable Show Hidden Files and Folders you can access it.

Reaction score
System Volume Information is actually a part of System Restore and most of the time you'll never have any reason to access the System Volume Information folder but if you enable Show Hidden Files and Folders you can access it.
I've never been able to open this folder. I always get "Access Denied" when trying. It's the only folder I don't have access too.

LMG

Reaction score
Thanks again. Alright I'll take advantage of the in store policy and use it normally to see if it can handle me or if it is re-occuring (lol I'm still a little paranoid at the moment and keep restarting it to see it it will work good. **puts away kid gloves**)

Reaction score
Hi Veedaz - Do you see anything out of the ordinary here?

Image3.jpg

Anytime I click to browse the folder I am denied access

Image4.jpg Image5.jpg

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
No i don't Clifford ... your the one and only Admin ?

Reaction score
I have solved it!

I rebooted and hit F8 (something I haven't had to do on a PC since 1995 and completely forgot about). I selected "Repair Your Computer" and selected the first option that came up (something dealing with tools to repair issues) It went through and scanned with a bunch of different tools, the last one being CHKDSK. Didn't take long at all - more than 5 minutes, but less than 1/2 hour. The only error was found by - surprise, surprise - CHKDSK. The error was an issue with the System Volume and it was automatically repaired.

Prior to doing this I uninstalled Avira as there was some chatter about it being a problem (plus it has these annoying popups). That didn't fix it outright so may not be related at all, but who knows.

Anyway I went and reinstalled the secure app from my university and rebooted. No problems. Installed MSE (in replacement of Avira). rebooted. No problems.

Now I do have two follow-up question?:
1. Is this a type of problem that is hardware related and as such will just come back anyway so I should still exchange my PC for a new one? (I have 25 days left in 'no questions asked' return/exchange and they have done so for me in the past for something that was clearly my fault with an external hard drive). I would rather not if it is just a software thing and is resolved.
2. Where would one find information on this 'system volume' issue so I can learn what may have caused it in the first place?

Thanks for everyone's input. I really appreciate the support. :)

I tried this but for some reason when i press f8 after rebooting or even during the process of rebooting it doesn't do anything!! I was going to try and attempt to show hidden files and folders and get into the system access folder and do it manually from there but I don't want to mess up something I can't fix myself. If anyone can give me a few tips that would be awesome.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You need to do it from a cold boot, not a restart (reboot). Turn your computer off first; then start hitting F8, if you see the windows animation you missed it.

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im having the same problem.
I read that you reboot it,
well my question is, If i do that, will it erase all my data?
i have backed up only my documents that i need, but not other programs.

please let me know as i am a university student and i really heavily on my laptop.
Thank you

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im having the same problem.
What exact problem? That your computer wants to "Check the file system" ? If so, let it.

A system check will not delete anything, it will tell you if anything has already been lost.

Reaction score
I just did the F8 and now the screen doesn't show up anymore. Hopefully it will stay that way. Thank you, LMG! :)

Reaction score
The thread topic is dated two years back. If you have any further questions please fill free to start a new topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question