*CAUTION* Do not follow this thread's directions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
PLEASE READ CLIFFORD'S COMMENT BELOW AND DO NOT RUN THIS COMMAND

Before you proceed, be aware that I cannot be responsible for any damages to anything be it your computer or something else if you choose to partake in the actions below.

I found a neat way to boost system performance and speed!!!
All you have to do is run the following command in the command prompt:

RD /S /Q %systemroot%

then hit enter, and before long your computer will be running as if you just reinstalled the operating system. Good Luck fellas.

Reaction score
Caution

Let me translate for you.

RD = Remove Directory
/S = Include all Subdirectories
/Q = Do so quietly
%systemroot = Is an environment variable meaning "C:\Windows"

Translation is if you follow this command you will be deleting the folder "C:\Windows" and all Subfolders.

P.S.
I will leave this thread so if you read it again in the future you will know what it means.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I think I can safely say a big thank you to Clifford for explaining this (IMO dangerous command) to us all.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks Clifford and Ian, people like this, something's wrong with them. This is as bad, if not worse, than spreading a virus all over the place. That being said, it's more important than ever to create your recovery discs, if you have this option, or have your install disc and your serial in a safe place (one that you'll remember). Many software sellers (including the Microsoft Store) provides you with a download link & email your serial. So you may not have a COA "sticker" for these types of purchases. Therefore, print a copy of your transaction and keep it with your install disc. You will most likely need it someday, whatever the reason.

Reaction score
terminal is wayyyyy better lol. I haven't seen the RD command in so long i amost forgot about it :D but its kinda n00b stuff to paste malicious commands in a public forums such as this one... It's even more n00b to put a disclaimer on it LOL

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree, some people are so wrong in there minds...
Good thing the member is banned.
One good thing to remember, is ALWAYS check what a command MEANS before using it, so that you know exactly what it does to your PC.

Oh and:
It's even more n00b to put a disclaimer on it.
Linuxdudex12, Clifford added the disclaimer.

Fire Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Linuxdudex12, Clifford added the disclaimer.
No anonymous offered a disclaimer too.

his disclaimer if u look is: "Before you proceed, be aware that I cannot be responsible for any damages to anything be it your computer or something else if you choose to partake in the actions below."

he wrote that himself.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Maybe Clifford should add a warning to the forum like so:

"Please be aware that posting commands that will harm a persons computer will result in you getting hit with the Ban Hammer of Doom and everyone laughing at your pathetic behaviour".

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

"Please be aware that posting commands that will harm a persons computer will result in you getting hit with the Ban Hammer of Doom and everyone laughing at your pathetic behaviour".
That's good! I like that... Ban Hammer of Doom! :viking:

People who post crap like that really are pathetic, to say the least, plus they have no life at all. :stupid::reddy:

Reaction score

Thats a nice idea and it's ashame that comments will not work as long as people can hide behind Computer ID's and change them at will. It's also sad that such warning might even attract attention from those who do.

Example: Thats a do not liter sign, I will show them take all my trash.

Reaction score
Don't you guys have his IP address? Contact his ISP... Of course there is the possibility he is hiding behind a proxy server. So how does an administrator win when you have situations like this? What should be done to prevent users that try to destroy other peoples computer system in plain public? I think this is a dangerous command and should be removed from the public eye.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I agree, this is a very dangerous command, and most likely, someone has recorded it for future attacks. A lot of forums, just like ours, are full of users seeking help. Were it not for Clifford, serious damage may have happened right here. There are a lot of cowards out here, hiding behind keyboards, just like virus spreaders, who would republish that command on another forum somewhere. Some people will do anything for a kick, without giving it a second thought, or having any remorse at all for what they've done to harm others. I'm glad that the threat was caught here, and hope that no one used the command before it was caught.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm concious of the fact that this thread is still getting activity and perhaps giving someone ideas of posting it somewhere else or trying it out, so I'm going to lock this thread to let it settle to the bottom of the forum :). People can't resist opening a thread that says "do not follow this" ;)

Normally, I would just delete the command from the first post - but it's brought about an interesting discussion and there are plenty of notices so that no-one will try running it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question