Can't upgrade 7 to 7 SP1 without SP1 installed.

Reaction score
I have a very old machine that somehow never got upgraded to Service Pack 1. That's been constraining me for a few years.

I finally found a site, that in turn has links to the Microsoft site where you can download ISOs for all variants of 7 SP1, for example here's 64 bit Pro:

I've downloaded that, put it on a thumb drive and no matter what I try it's unbootable--I've tried it on three different systems. BUT, I can boot Windows 7 on the machine I want to upgrade, and navigate into the thing and run setup.exe.

The problem is setup.exe won't let you upgrade unless you already have Service Pack 1 installed. But that's what I'm trying to upgrade TO!!!!

Any idea how to get around this?

Reaction score
you need to create the thumb drive bootable use "rufus" to make this happen
using the iso file you downloaded

Last edited:
Reaction score
you need to create the thumb drive bootable use "rufus" to make this happen
using the iso file you downloaded
Oh...thank you for reminding me this post was "hanging" out there. I never updated on my progress.

I was able to make the thumb drive bootable...(with a lot of pain). So when you run a windows Sp1 thumbdrive on a Windows 7 (no SP1) system...it refuses to do anything at all, on the grounds it doesn't see this as you trying to upgrade--you already have windows 7 installed! It will do a fresh install, but not an upgrade.

I ultimately had to download the patch for SP1 (and one prior dependency) from the Microsoft site and install them manually.

Reaction score
i backup the data i created and always do a clean install of win7 sp1 as it is not an upgrade iso

Reaction score
Sure, you can back up your data. In fact, I keep mine on a different partition and/or a NAS.

But a complete reinstall means having to reinstall apps all over again, tweak your settings just the way you like it...and it's never the same.

And then I'd have to activate it. It's airgapped, so I have to pick up the phone and call...and you can't do Windows 7 that way any more...only 10 and 11. 7 isn't an option, or wasn't the last time I tried it. (If that's not true, I'd love to see instructions on how to do an offline activation of Win7.)

That's why I wanted to upgrade, not reinstall.

The system I was upgrading is airgapped. But what I had to do was download the system update readiness tool for my version (64 bit pro), [ https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=947821 ] run that, then download the SP 1 patch, and install that. All told about 2 GB.

I didn't need the ISO at all for that! But I'm glad to have it (and copies of the update readiness tool and SP1 patches) around in case the system gets totally corrupted and I do have to start from scratch (though I have no idea what I'd do about activating it if that happened).

Reaction score
search here

Unless I misunderstand...that wouldn't help me *activate* it; that's just another ISO. But I already have an ISO that works. And this download is for ultimate; my license is for Pro.

I'm OK for now because I updated an old (activated) installation. If I have to install from nothing...I have the ISO I need, but Microsoft no longer will let you activate over the phone.

Reaction score
the above link is what you need and install any of the DAZ will fix what you desire
Windows_7 Home Basic – – STD / DAZ / OEM
* Windows_7 Home Premium – STD / DAZ / OEM
* Windows_7 Professional – STD / DAZ / OEM
* Windows_7 Ultimate – – – STD / DAZ / OEM

Reaction score
Will they be activated?

I'm already able to install, even a clean install if I must. And I was able to upgrade to SP1 as reported in #3.

My concern now is being able to activate a fresh install (should I need to do one) offline (over the phone).

Showing me links to ISOs addresses a problem I no longer have. I no longer need help installing. Just activating (in case I need to do so for a fresh install).

I'll reiterate my current and only question: If unable to activate (not "install") Windows 7 online, how do you do it? There doesn't seem to be phone support any more.

Ask a Question