can't remove damaged dll in winsxs folder

Reaction score
Hi all,

When I start an application, I get this error:

error.png

When I check the file mentioned in the error message, its size is 0 bytes. I think it has been damaged during a hard drive problem. The problem is that I cannot change it or remove it. I tried to take ownership of the file, the folder, etc, w7 is always asking me authorization to remove the file or rename it or to copy another file in the same folder (although I took ownership of everything possible).

Of course, I tried to uninstall and reinstall the application, but I still get the same message.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get rid of this problem ?

Thank in advance.

Reaction score
Hi all,

When I start an application, I get this error:

View attachment 791

When I check the file mentioned in the error message, its size is 0 bytes. I think it has been damaged during a hard drive problem. The problem is that I cannot change it or remove it. I tried to take ownership of the file, the folder, etc, w7 is always asking me authorization to remove the file or rename it or to copy another file in the same folder (although I took ownership of everything possible).

Of course, I tried to uninstall and reinstall the application, but I still get the same message.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get rid of this problem ?

Thank in advance.

If you've already checked your system for malware, try running the system file checker. sfc /scannow from the dos prompt.

Start, type in CMD, then right click on the file and choose run as administrator. Then type: sfc /scannow. Press return. If it is missing or corrupt, windows will replace it.

good luck.

-Jazmac

Reaction score
If you've already checked your system for malware, try running the system file checker. sfc /scannow from the dos prompt.

Start, type in CMD, then right click on the file and choose run as administrator. Then type: sfc /scannow. Press return. If it is missing or corrupt, windows will replace it.

good luck.

-Jazmac
Thank you Jazmac. I did it. It tells me that it found damaged files but could not repair them all. Sends me to a large log file which has lines about the damaged files that I don't know how to interpret. But as I said, the damaged file is empty, so I just want to replace it with another one from a clean software install...

Ask a Question