SOLVED can't pin notepad.exe to the taskbar

Reaction score
Hello All...

I am trying to pin "notepad.exe" to the Win 7 taskbar but cannot.

Have tried:
1. going to the notepad.exe win windows directory, right mouse, no pin option....
2. created shortcut on desktop.. tried dragging to taskbar ... red circle with line through it and does nto drop on task bar.
2. right mouse on shortcut, no pin option either.

How can I get the notepad.exe to sit in the Win7 taskbar.

Thnaks in advance for any help in solving this mystery!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you go to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories, is Notepad in the list of Accessories?

If yes then right-click on it and see what options are in the context menu. You should see "pin to taskbar".
pin2taskbar.jpg

If you can't then it's possible the Group Policy has been set controlling pinning. See HERE.

Last edited:
Reaction score
With Notepad open, you should be able to right click the Taskbar icon and have it pinned from there.

Edit:
In fact thats how I pin all my programs.

Reaction score
Hi To All...

Sorry I took so long to respond here. Thank you all for your suggestions.. but unfortunately none of them worked. My PC was migrated from Xp to Win 7 and just a bunch of things were not right. I had the PC re-imaged with our base Win7 x64 image and then reinstalled what I needed to. Net result it did fix the problem. A very drastic solution, but it did fix a bunch of stuff.

Once again thank you all. Much appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Ask a Question