can't get new SSD to run in SATAII mode

Reaction score
Hi all

Not sure if this is a driver problem or not but I've just done a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit onto my new Samsung 840 EVO SSD and the drive is stuck in SATAI mode. My motherboard (Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 - Nvidia 650i SLI chipset) supports SATAII, In fact my other, conventional, HDD is running in SATAII and has better speeds than the SSD (according to the Speed Test for the SATA port in Device Manager)!

My motherboard doesn't support AHCI unfortunately and I can live with that but would really like SATAII to work. Any suggestions.

What I have done so far;
  1. turned RAID on in my BIOS as this has helped some people achieve SATAII on Nvidia chipsets (see http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...DS4-C300-works-only-as-SATA/td-p/12203/page/2 for reference)
  2. I even edited the registry to enable the AHCI driver (in desperation as it was mentioned a lot on the web).
My RAID was not turned on when I installed Windows and I didn't load any special drivers during the install because I didn't have any. I suppose I could reload Windows now I have turned on RAID but would want to have some hope it would make a difference

Any help gratefully received!

Shintaro

Reaction score
Welcome to the W7Forums.

Unfortunately I can only suggest updating the motherboard BIOS and the Firmware on the SSD.

Looking at the BIOS for your motherboard HERE the last update was 2007.

Maybe its time for a newer motherboard?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Reaction score
Welcome to the W7Forums.

Unfortunately I can only suggest updating the motherboard BIOS and the Firmware on the SSD.

Looking at the BIOS for your motherboard HERE the last update was 2007.

Maybe its time for a newer motherboard?

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Thank you for your reply Shintaro. I can't afford to upgrade anything else at the moment so I think I'll just return it while I can.

thanks,
Colin

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Colin, he is talking abut updating the firmware of your motherboard and of the solid state drive. There is no monetary cost, you simply download the updates for free from the manufacturers websites.

Shintaro even provided you with the link for the MOBO BIOS. And the Dec 2013 Firmware update for the Samsung 840 EVO SSD would be HERE

Reaction score
Colin, he is talking abut updating the firmware of your motherboard and of the solid state drive. There is no monetary cost, you simply download the updates for free from the manufacturers websites.

Shintaro even provided you with the link for the MOBO BIOS. And the Dec 2013 Firmware update for the Samsung 840 EVO SSD would be HERE
Sorry, I should have been more clear - I am already running the latest BIOS for the mobo and according to the Samsung Magician program the drive is running the latest firmware.

Colin

Ask a Question