Can't FTP with Win7

Reaction score
I have been slaying several Win7 dragons and have reached what I think is the last one. I am trying to FTP with a program that has served me well for 15 years: WS_FTP. I thought it was 64 bit-defeated but that may not the case.

After successfully acepting the password, I get the message:
530 Login authentication failed
! login failure, so quitting

Thinking that WS_FTP had finally outlived it's live expectancy, I downloaded "Clasic FTP" from NCH software.

It did the same thing and quit after accepting the PW. This may be an easy fix but I need you experts to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

--Derick3 :confused:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would guess it's firewall/port related.

Based on the date THIS wasn't about Win7 but it may offer some insight into the ports, etc.

Reaction score
I guess I should have mentioned that I use AVG. I thought it was a firewall issue but I shut off the firewall completely and tried to FTP using both WS_FTP and Classic FTP. It didn't work either time. That's what's got me bumfuzzled.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
According to the error it looks like an authentication problem - are you able to connect using the exact same user/pass on another PC? What happens if you try to connect to a public FTP which doesn't require authentication?

I would also have guessed a firewall problem, but if you've disabled them all temporarily that should rule it out.

Reaction score
I have tracked down the problem to corrupted login parameters. Thanks for your help.
Derick3

Reaction score
Ian or anyone else, maybe you can address my problem with WS_FTP 12. 3. I am running Win7 64-bit Home Premium on a laptop and purchased the newer version listed above. Personal circumstances prevented me from installing the program until yesterday long after the support contract ran out.

Immediately after logging into my FTP site my computer freezes, which does not happen from any other program. I uninstalled and reinstall the client with no luck.

WSftp support ignored my request for help unless I purchase a new one year support contract @ 49.99. Not going to happen, would rather use one of the other options out there.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Other than making sure your firewall is properly configured to allow the ports I do not know what to suggest. According to the W7 compatibility center it is compatible in both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Reaction score
Firewall

Thanks, I will let you know when I try to FTP from home tonight. However, when I try it from work the laptop freezes right after the connection is verified. I can see my files on the server but cannot do anything else but reboot.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I am not familiar with this FTP program... how does it differ from a free alternative like FileZilla if I may ask?

Vpond, the bads news is I googled up your program, and plenty of other users have experienced system freezes when using that FTP program. FTP software shouldn't ever freeze a system like that, I'd suggest finding an alternative software. FileZilla is what I personally use, if that helps.

WS_FTP has reports of it freezing Windows 7 dating as far back as 2009, and I'm not finding any readily available solutions presented other than "upgrading" to the latest version.

Ask a Question