SOLVED Can't delete mystery files :/

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong section for this thread, but i couldn't much it anywhere else either. So basically i am trying to delete a folder, which in properties shows it has 0 bytes inside, but 14 folders. I tried to delete those but their names are too long for the recycle bin. So i could simply rename them to something smaller, but the problem is that they don't appear anywhere. When opening the folder it shows like there is nothing inside. It says there are some files, but when opening the folder there is nothing there, properties say 0 bytes but 14 folders. The folder name is also written in blue for some reason. I have no idea how this files were made. I formated my pc and when i went to delete the windows.old files these were left for some reason.

Any good solutions?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Files in blue are system files and are protected.

Could you tell us the folder path, such as C:\windows\whatever ?

Reaction score
Well, i had reinstalled windows and when i tried to delete windows.old these files were left. I really thought i could delete them with installing windows once again, but it showed up again in windows.old lol, in some place i had moved the files, so i don't really know where it firstly was.

I believe this might be more helpfull:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it is in Windows.old then it's safe to delete.

Download and install a program called Unlocker. If that doesn't work then you may need to "Take Ownership" first. Links to both are available in our Freeware DB.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
That looks a little suspicious to me since it is located in the root directory and marked as a system file... have you run an anti-virus and ant-malware scan on the system?

Microsoft Security Essentials is a good, free AV program. Malwarebytes is also a free anti-malware program you can use.

Reaction score
I was able to solve the problem, on another win7forums site posting the same thread. It was much simpler than i thought. However thanks a lot for your help aswell.

All i had to do was go to folder options and then uncheck the hide operating system files. Then i was able to see these 2 files i coulnd't delete after 16 subfolders.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Glad you got it resolved and thanks for coming back and sharing your solution so that maybe it helps someone else in the future.

Ask a Question