Can't create VM with XP Mode

Reaction score
Hello

I've just spent two frustrating days trying to create a VM using the XP mode wizard in Windows 7. I had installed Windows 7 32 bit a week ago.

I followed the wizard to the letter and created the Virtual machine. Then I loaded my antivirus software and rebooted the machine. Then I loaded the automatic Windows update and rebooted the machine (as prompted). I then loaded Office 2003 - which is why I want the XP Mode VM, then the VM froze. I closed it,and when I tried to reopen it I got the message that it couldn't enable the integration features. The VM loaded with a smaller than average window which was so slow that it was practically frozen, and I couldn't enable the integration features at all.

I looked up Help and in the end took all of the VM files off the C:\users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines as advised and created a new one. This time it froze after rebooting following loading the automatic updates.

I'm now on my third attempt to load - does anyone have any idea why I'm making such a hash of it please? I had a virtual machine on my old XP platform before I upgraded, and I didn't have any problems with it. Would it be better to create my own VM with Windows Virtual PC?

I'm using a Dell Dimension 9150, it's three years old, I don't know if that could be the problem. I'm not very technical, so that could be more of the problem...

I do have a Windows XP Mode base.vhd in C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode

Sorry to be so long winded, it's my first ever post to this forum, any ideas would be really appreciated
Thanks
aehan

Tuesday 12th Jan: Just to say that I have now found an answer to my problem. I posted the error message I had been receiving to the Internet and found some other people had also had the same thing happening. There are various reasons, but my problem was my Antivirus software, it was blocking the integration features. I uninstalled it and installed the Microsoft free virus checker instead and now everything is OK. So hopefully this may help someone else.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Aehan, welcome to the fourms. I, too had trouble with this VMLite deal. It was locking up on me, caused the rest of my laptop to run slow, many problems. I have come to the conclusion that the program isn't worth the trouble of having. Perhaps Sun's VM may be of interest to you. It looks like a better product, but there's more work into setting it up. As for VMLite, the closest garbage can is the best place for it. I'm sorry to say it, but the truth is the truth.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Glad to hear you figured out what the problem was Aehan!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hello

I've just spent two frustrating days trying to create a VM using the XP mode wizard in Windows 7. I had installed Windows 7 32 bit a week ago.

I followed the wizard to the letter and created the Virtual machine. Then I loaded my antivirus software and rebooted the machine. Then I loaded the automatic Windows update and rebooted the machine (as prompted). I then loaded Office 2003 - which is why I want the XP Mode VM, then the VM froze. I closed it,and when I tried to reopen it I got the message that it couldn't enable the integration features. The VM loaded with a smaller than average window which was so slow that it was practically frozen, and I couldn't enable the integration features at all.

I looked up Help and in the end took all of the VM files off the C:\users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines as advised and created a new one. This time it froze after rebooting following loading the automatic updates.

I'm now on my third attempt to load - does anyone have any idea why I'm making such a hash of it please? I had a virtual machine on my old XP platform before I upgraded, and I didn't have any problems with it. Would it be better to create my own VM with Windows Virtual PC?

I'm using a Dell Dimension 9150, it's three years old, I don't know if that could be the problem. I'm not very technical, so that could be more of the problem...

I do have a Windows XP Mode base.vhd in C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode

Sorry to be so long winded, it's my first ever post to this forum, any ideas would be really appreciated
Thanks
aehan

Tuesday 12th Jan: Just to say that I have now found an answer to my problem. I posted the error message I had been receiving to the Internet and found some other people had also had the same thing happening. There are various reasons, but my problem was my Antivirus software, it was blocking the integration features. I uninstalled it and installed the Microsoft free virus checker instead and now everything is OK. So hopefully this may help someone else.
I'm glad that the program works fine for you, but I had MSE long before I did this VMLite deal. It could be that my laptop is too old for it to run right (although it runs Windows 7 perfectly). I've installed it three times now trying to make it work, so that's it for me. Three strikes and out. I'm going to try Sun's alternative instead of messing with this anymore. aehan, I'm glad for you that it worked out.

Ask a Question