Can't convert a Camtasia file to AVI (with codecs) on an i7

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am creating video screen captures of my desktop - for the purpose of creating software tutorial videos.

My software of choice for the video creation is called Camtasia Studio. I have used Camtasia before on many occassions without issue, however I recently updated my computer - to an i7, and since the update I have not been able to use Camtasia as I would like to. Camtasia itself still performs video capture however whenever I attempt to process the Camtasia file (.camrec) and turn it into a DivX AVI the software freezes.

As I suspected that the DivX codec was at fault I also installed the CCCP and XVid codecs, however Camtasia freezes regardless of the codec pack that I use.

To further boost my belief that the codecs are at fault Camtasia is able to create a "raw" AVI file (which has no codecs) however the file is entirely too big.

Are there any issues with codecs on an i7? Or are there any issues with Camtasia 7 on an i7?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Reaction score
Maybe roll back to a different ver of Camtasia [I've used it in the past as well]
Lastly try diff recording software like a registered Fraps version

Reaction score
Hi 88ppxc,

Thanks for your advice. I did try an earlier version of Camtasia - vesion 6 (as opposed to version 7), but both versions of the software behaved the same way.

I will defintiely look at fraps.

Cheers

Davo

Ask a Question