Cannot boot up Windows 7 even with safe mode

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to Windows 7 forums and have the following problem which is titled with my new computer.
At this moment, I am using an older computer to post this thread. I have also added details about what happened before the problem and what the problem is now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before the problem:
Yesterday, I was just playing an online match, then suddenly my computer decided blue screen for some reason. At first, the problem wasn't a major one and I was able to access my user with the "Start windows normally" option so I thought there wasn't a problem until today where the computer doesn't load up properly.

The problem:
Right now whenever I load my computer, Windows 7 shows the message of "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause" with the options of either a "Startup Repair" or "Start windows normally" option.

If I click on the "Start windows normally" option, the screen freezes at "Starting Windows" with no coloured particles showing. The computer then reboots itself and goes back to the screen with the same message.

If I click on "Startup Repair" option, the screen shows the message "Windows is loading files..." with the bar showing that it is completed, however my computer freezes at that screen and doesn't respond. I left it on for at least a couple of hours but still didn't do anything.

I have also tried using F8 to run the computer in safe mode, the computer loads the files for the safe mode to begin but instead the computer keeps rebooting itself. I have also used the "Safe mode with networking" and "Safe mode with command prompt" but it gives the same results. I have also tried the repair your computer option ending up with the same results as the startup repair.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm pretty much stuck in a position where I cannot access my files or do a system recovery since none of the safe modes actually work.
My mouse and keyword doesn't use a USB port to connect to the computer.

EDIT: If anyone knows a solution please do reply and thanks for reading

I have tried re-installing the operating system so far, it gets frozen at the "Starting Windows" animation screen before the particles are able to come out. If you have exprienced a similar problem please do reply

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you have the original install DVD disc, then you can use it to do a startup repair.

Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website too!

Reaction score
You very well may have a virus. Here's a link to a article that contains numerous links to download bootable virus scanner's. I suggest making a few with the pc you're currently using. The Bitdefender & Norton one's don't bother with. Bitdefender's isn't that good and Norton's only work's if your a current user of either their Norton Antivirus or Internet Security. The PC Tools one, isn't good at detection or cleanup. The other's are all good, as is Norton's if you're a customer of the 2 product's I listed. I've used all of them, as I have Norton Internet Security 2012. Here's the link. http://www.askvg.com/download-free-...persky-bitdefender-avira-f-secure-and-others/ . After you run a few scan's with those, put your Windows 7 dvd in and boot from it. When the Install Now window appears, click on Repair Your Computer at the lower left side, select Startup Repair. It make take a few run's of Startup Repair, so be patient with it. It will fix any Windows 7 issue that are keeping your pc from booting up properly. Try the bootable virus scanner's first, as it sound's like you picked up a infection playing the game.

Reaction score
If you have the original install DVD disc, then you can use it to do a startup repair.

Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website too!
Thanks for the reply! And the welcome.

Whenever, I use the original install DVD disc the screen goes over to the "Windows is loading files..." screen and gets frozen so I cannot proceed any further. I'm not too sure if I have to leave it on for a while but I'll give it a try. I'll post if anything happens or doesn't.

*EDIT* Correction, I have managed to go through the "Windows is loading files..." but I get stuck on to the "Starting Windows" screen

*EDIT-2* So far, I'm unable to proceed any further than the "Starting Windows" screen and cannot go any further to use the startup repair or any other options.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You very well may have a virus. Here's a link to a article that contains numerous links to download bootable virus scanner's. I suggest making a few with the pc you're currently using. The Bitdefender & Norton one's don't bother with. Bitdefender's isn't that good and Norton's only work's if your a current user of either their Norton Antivirus or Internet Security. The PC Tools one, isn't good at detection or cleanup. The other's are all good, as is Norton's if you're a customer of the 2 product's I listed. I've used all of them, as I have Norton Internet Security 2012. Here's the link. http://www.askvg.com/download-free-...persky-bitdefender-avira-f-secure-and-others/ . After you run a few scan's with those, put your Windows 7 dvd in and boot from it. When the Install Now window appears, click on Repair Your Computer at the lower left side, select Startup Repair. It make take a few run's of Startup Repair, so be patient with it. It will fix any Windows 7 issue that are keeping your pc from booting up properly. Try the bootable virus scanner's first, as it sound's like you picked up a infection playing the game.
Thanks for the reply!

I'll give the bootable virus scanners a shot. But any chance, would I be able to use the Norton ones if I am using Norton 360 (It's currently installed on the current computer I am using and the computer with the problems.) Also would I need to get them all to be burnt on to a disc or would I be able to use a USB to boot the files?

I have also tried using the Windows 7 installation disc beforehand and the screen gets over to the "Starting Windows" and gets frozen from there. I'm just wondering if I am waiting long enough for the windows disc to respond when the bar has completed loaded.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I forgot all about Norton 360. Yes it's key will work. Also to be safe, also run one of the other one's too. Not all scanner's pick up every threat. After you have the pc back to normal, run a quick scan with Norton 360. When it's done, don't click Finish. On the lower left there's a clickable item that say's If you think there are still threats. Click on that that will take you to a website with 2 Norton programs. The one on the right does what you already did, create a bootable rescue cd. The one on the left Norton Power Eraser, is what you want. After you open it up, it will update itself. Click on settings and make sure all 3 boxes are checked, click apply and then click the left box to let it scan your pc. You'll have to let it restart your pc and then the scan takes place inside Windows. It only usually takes 1-3 minutes. For anything it finds, click on the left item column on the right side for each. That uploads it to a online Norton scan of that file to verify if it's bad. If it's bad leave the check in the Fix for that file. If it doesn't come back as a known threat uncheck the Fix box for that file. When all files have been scanned, click Fix on the bottom and run Power Eraser again, until no threats appear.

Reaction score
I forgot all about Norton 360. Yes it's key will work. Also to be safe, also run one of the other one's too. Not all scanner's pick up every threat. After you have the pc back to normal, run a quick scan with Norton 360. When it's done, don't click Finish. On the lower left there's a clickable item that say's If you think there are still threats. Click on that that will take you to a website with 2 Norton programs. The one on the right does what you already did, create a bootable rescue cd. The one on the left Norton Power Eraser, is what you want. After you open it up, it will update itself. Click on settings and make sure all 3 boxes are checked, click apply and then click the left box to let it scan your pc. You'll have to let it restart your pc and then the scan takes place inside Windows. It only usually takes 1-3 minutes. For anything it finds, click on the left item column on the right side for each. That uploads it to a online Norton scan of that file to verify if it's bad. If it's bad leave the check in the Fix for that file. If it doesn't come back as a known threat uncheck the Fix box for that file. When all files have been scanned, click Fix on the bottom and run Power Eraser again, until no threats appear.
Hello sorry to bother you again and thanks for the reply

Basically, would I need to download the "Norton Bootable Recovery Tool" and create a bootable rescue disk from that? Then would I need to boot the other bootable rescue disk (Which was created from the link you provided from your first post) Before I put in the Windows 7 installation disk to start a repair. (P.S. I don't know if the link I used to download the Norton Bootable Recovery tools is correct)

Afterwards, if my computer is fixed and able to run normally again, I would need to use the Power Eraser to fix the remaining threats until it has no threats?

Sorry for the constant questions, I'm just getting confused with what to do.

*EDIT* So far, in the bootable recovery tools I have to specify the drive which is giving me an only option of "E:" Would I need to change it to the C: Drive and if so would I only need to "Add drive" then click on the C: once added?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, exactly. Make sure to copy your product key from the pc you're using now. Write it down on a piece of paper. You'll need to enter it the first time you use the bootable cd. After the 1st time using it it will already be stored on drive C:\NBRT. Make sure to leave that folder alone. It will contain the definitions, etc. for the bootable dvd, along with scan result's in case you ever have to contact support.

Reaction score
I'm not too sure if this maybe a virus (But I could be wrong) My friend had the same exact problem as me when his computer blue screened, he wasn't able to boot his computer back up and again he has tried everything.

So, if I was to re-install windows 7 again on my computer but I cannot use the installation disc as it only goes through the "Windows is loading files..." and gets frozen at "Starting Windows" How would I be able to do it? (Assume that none of the safe modes are working as well as the startup repair, last known configuration and etc.) So far, the installation is being read but the computer seems to be not able to proceed any further.

Reaction score
Have you run the scans with bootable virus disks ? If so and you still have problems select Advanced Options where you tell Windows to install. Format the drive Windows is going on and the one below it that says System Reserved. Then delete both of those drives and hold the power button until the pc turns off. Now turn your pc back on and it should automatically boot from the Windows 7 dvd and let you install it. If it fail's again, your hard drive may need to be replaced. You said your pc is new, you more than likely need to contact the manufacturer's support, as most pc companies have a hidden partition that has Windows and whatever Bloatware they put on your pc. They'll have to walk you through the process for restoring that image. Afterward's download PC Decrapifier from http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download . Then before you run that post back here with a list of any trialware, etc. that your pc came with. Also, let us know, if you purchased or plan on purchasing any of that software. Make sure to also include in the list any utilities from the pc's manufacture. After someone goes over that list, they cant tell you what to let PC Decrafier remove from your pc.

Reaction score
If I was to format the drive which windows goes to and the systems reserve and delete them both, which option would I need to go on to if I'm on the advanced boot option? (If I am suppose to be on that option.)

I haven't format a drive before so I am cautious to breaking the computer. But generally the drive which is used for Windows is the C: Drive if I'm correct?

Reaction score
!:Format then 2:Delete then 3: Press Power Button on front of pc until it shut's off 4: If you have any other hard drives - unplug the sata cable's hooked to them (be careful, some have a little locking mechanism, so gently sqeeze the top & bottom of the cable near the hard drive's metal case) If you only have the one hard drive, your pc will automatically boot off the Windows 7 dvd, so proceed with the install.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've tried the bootable rescue disks to scan through the computer. The following two I've used is: Kaspersky and Norton 360

For Kaspersky, I was able to backup the files I needed and scan the computer fully. The problem wasn't resolved.

For Norton 360, I created a bootable recovery disk (Cannot find a rescue disk of Norton 360) However, when I used the disk it says "Windows is loading files..." then "Starting Windows" but just before the animation appears, it just bluescreens.

Question: Any chance is there a way to do some sort of clean installation of Windows 7 when using the Kaspersky bootable disk? I was just wondering 'cause I was curious.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd also make sure you have a backup of your driver's or atleast download them with the pc that's working and put them on a flash drive. Then, as you've obviously got some sort of infection. I'd make a bootable disk of Darik's Boot and Nuke http://www.dban.org/ or (e-mail address removed) http://www.killdisk.com/ . I'd run one of those & let it erase the hard drive first and then install Windows 7. At that point I'd think about finding something to replace Norton 360. Personally at the least, I'd contact Norton's Online Chat and see if there's a way to swap your Norton 360 for Norton Internet Security 2012. 360's from what I've heard is basically something you put on your parent's/grandparent's pc. It's basically for those that have no clue what they're doing with pc's. P.s. The Recovery Disk is the same as the Rescue Disk.You also may want to check out Paragon's Rescue Kit 11 http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/ for future issue's. They have a free version and a Professional version.

Reaction score
Questions:

1) Where abouts would I find the files of my drivers? Because when I'm on the kaspersky rescue disk, I can only find the drivers which are onoly included for my Lenmark printers.

2) Which components would I need to backup? (i.e. The processor, Motherboard and etc.) So far, I have found a Nvidia folder in my program files (x86) and two discs which is for the mainboard and graphics card.

3) Do I just use the same code, that I've used to install my Windows 7?

Reaction score
You need to download the driver's from the companie's that made your pc's hardware's website's In my opinion, do yourself a favor. If your pc is under warranty, call their toll free number and explained what happened. They should fix it fore free, provided the warranty didn't expire. If the warranty did expire, contact a local pc repair shop in your area that you trust and let them fix it for you.

Reaction score
Who made youpc ? What model is it ? Have you replaced any of the pc's hardware since purchasing it ? If yes, we need to know manufacturer & model name/number, so we can help you further.

Reaction score
My PC was brought over from Ebay. The PC is a custom built by a company already. I haven't replaced any parts as my computer's still pretty new.

I don't exactly remember if there was warranty on it. But I think I'll take to a local repair shop to be fixed.

Reaction score
It has been a while since I posted or updated this thread. The problem was fixed when I took the computer to a local shop, they told me what caused the problem.

During the time when my computer broke, I haven't seen any threads which had the same problem as I did. I decided to put a list of my problem and how it is solved (It also includes what methods I have used and what the cause of the problem was.) I decided to add this list as it may help someone if they encounter the same problem in the near future and if they don't know what is causing the problem.

Start up error after blue screen list:

The Problem:
The computer doesn't start up anymore after a bluescreen.

Methods which have been used to try and fix the computer:
1) Safe Mode (All versions)
2) Startup repair
3) Installation disc
4) Recovery discs
5) Last known configuratiom
6) Everything else (I have put this on because I didn't remember exactly all the functions that can be used. I listed the 5 above, as they are more ommonly used.)

The cause of the problem:
One or more RAM sticks have been fried up and therefore broken. (This could be any/more other componenets which may have causec the exact same problem, but since my computer only broke because of the RAM, I used the RAM as the primary example.)

The Solution to the problem:
You will need to replace the broken component. To find out what componenet is broken, you could diagnose the computer to search for the problem or by manually checking each componenet. You can do this either by doing it on your own or by taking it to a local computer shop or by sending it to the company which you have brought the computer from.

If you are going to fix the problem by yourself, I recommend that you should know what to do before you begin fixing. I am not held responsible if you have tried fixing the computer and further problems have been encountered. I didn't post because the following solution is garunteed to fix the following problem but to show a list of what the problem is and how it could be fixed.

Thanks for reading and have a good day!

Last edited:

Ask a Question