Can I download Windows 7 over Ubuntu?

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been given a desktop computer by my son, as my laptop is dying. It has Umbuto loaded but I can not understand how to use it.
I have been using windows since way back.
Can I buy and use windows 7 over the top of Umbuto? Should I get 32 bit or 64 bit?
sorry if dumb questions, but I'm the other side of 60 and losing a few marbles!

cheers
John

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forums!

Do you mean Ubuntu Linux? I search for Umbuto and didn't find anything.
Sure, you can install Winows 7 over it. Just wipe the drive with something like Darik's Boot And Nuke (http://www.dban.org/).
Then just insert the installation DVD in the computer and install.

For the 32bit or 64bit questions, that all depends on your configuration. If you have 3GB or more with a 64bit capable processor, go 64bit. If not, go 32bit.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply Fire cat

Yes it is Linux Umbutu.

Also You said :
(for the 32bit or 64bit questions, that all depends on your configuration. If you have 3GB or more with a 64bit capable processor, go 64bit. If not, go 32bit.)
How do I answer that question?
John

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums johnshares!

First, you need to know if the CPU or processor is a 64-bit capable one.

RAM or Random Access Memory should be at least 2GB worth of memory to run Windows 7 64-bit version.

From the Ubuntu desktop, go to applications and find the terminal mode, then type in "sudo lshw". It will then show your hardware.

It appears like a lot of this stuff is new to you.

Have you ever installed an operating system?

Do you know what brand the computer is, or if it's custom built?

You may want to take it to a computer shop and get assistance, or ask your son for some help.

Maybe you can give us some information and then we could help you better.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Reboot your computer, and enter the BIOS. All the info should be there. Please post back the result.

To enter the BIOS:
On reboot, you should see something like "Press F12 to enter setup...". Press the key and you're in the BIOS!

Edit: Niburu beat me to it :)

Reaction score
hi guys
This is the screen info I got when I followed your instructions, (there is a whole lot more info, but it looks very repetitive)
Is this what you meant?

sudo] password for john:
john-desktop
description: Desktop Computer
product: 945P-A
vendor: ECS
version: 1.X
serial: 00000000
width: 32 bits
capabilities: smbios-2.3 dmi-2.3 smp-1.4 smp
configuration: boot=normal chassis=desktop cpus=2 uuid=00020003-0004-0005-0006-000700080009
*-core
description: Motherboard
product: 945P-A
vendor: ECS
physical id: 0
version: 1.X
serial: 00000000
slot: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
*-firmware
description: BIOS
vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
physical id: 0
version: 080012 (07/24/2006)
size: 64KiB
capacity: 448KiB
capabilities: isa pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing escd cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb ls120boot zipboot biosbootspecification
*-cpu:0
description: CPU
product: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 4
bus info: cpu@0
version: 6.15.2
serial: 0000-06F2-0000-0000-0000-0000
slot: CPU 1
size: 2133MHz
width: 64 bits
clock: 266MHz
capabilities: boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx x86-64 constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow
configuration: id=0
*-cache:0
description: L1 cache
physical id: 5
slot: L1-Cache
size: 32KiB
capacity: 32KiB
capabilities: internal write-back data
*-cache:1
description: L2 cache
physical id: 6
slot: L2-Cache
size: 2MiB
capacity: 2MiB
capabilities: internal write-back instruction
*-logicalcpu:0
description: Logical CPU
physical id: 0.1
capabilities: logical
*-logicalcpu:1
description: Logical CPU
physical id: 0.2
capabilities: logical

The only installation I have done was the Umbutu from a disk , which I actually thought went very smoothly. But as I am travelling around Australia with the wife in a caravan, most of my requirements are now for mapping and transfering maps to our cars GPS unit.
thanks for your guidence
cheers
John

Reaction score
John, Ubunto might be a little different to my Linux Mint but try this for hardware profile which is what we need to see if you machine can run Win 7 adequately..

In Menu go to system tools or something that refers to the system.
If it's the same you'll get a window which on the left should have list which covers various aspects of your system.
If you look under devices/memory and device/processor and devices/storage it will give you (for each respective selection) information in the right side pane of the window about those items.
It's just a very basic baseline but will give us some idea if your hardware could run Win7

Reading through what you've pasted I would say that yes you could run Win7.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Mychael
Would you suggest that I could run the 64 bit OS, or do I stay with the 32 Bit OS.
I do not intend to run the Linux on the computer, I am planning a complete new start with Windows 7. ( I am just not able to get my head around how the linux works)

As you suggested
I have gone to System > System Monitor>
Ubuntu release 9.10 ,
Hardware Memory 2.0 Gib
Processor 0:Intel (R) Core (TM) 22 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 hz
Processor 1:Intel (R) Core (TM) 22 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 hz

System Status
Available dik space 265.6 Gib

does this help?

Reaction score
John, You've got enough memory to run Win 7 . 2Gb will work, 4gb would be better.
As far as I can tell that model processor would run Win 7, I cant be certain if it will run 64bit version, from your previous data I think it can but hopefully someone else will confirm that.
Your HDD is plenty large enough.
Best to format it for a clean start.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
( I am just not able to get my head around how the linux works)
johnshares - Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I'm just getting my feet wet with Linux myself. I will say it has definitely gotten more user-friendly in the last several years.

Reaction score
Looks like you have an identity crisis Nibiru 2012 :D
I have ordered the 32 bit version of E bay,
so all I need to know now, is how to do a format as Mychael suggested?
Is this done using the Linux program first, or as I install Window 7?

cheers
John

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
johnshares, welcome to the forum! All that you need to do is when you boot from your Windows 7 disc, after the options appears, be sure to select "Format". You don't need to nuke your drive with DBAN to install 7. It's easy to format your drive with your install disc. When your install disc arrives, if you need any more assistance, post back. There's plenty of users here who can help.

Cat

Reaction score
John,
If your feeling adventurous you can do this type of format from Ubuntu if you want.

1. step 1
    Collect information about your new hard drive. In a Terminal window, run: sudo lshw -C disk

If Ubuntu has detected your hard drive, you will see all sorts of information about it. Make sure to note the "logical name" (the unique file system location Ubuntu has assigned to your new drive).
  2. Step 2
    Start GParted from "System" > "Administration" > "Partition Editor" (sometimes labeled "GNOME Partition Editor"). In the top-right corner, select your new hard drive by its logical name.
  3. Step 3
    Check the settings for the disk. Make the partition size the maximum allowable and check the "Primary Partition" box.
  4. Step 4
    Choose the drive format based on your usage. If you will only be using the drive in Linux, choose "ext3." If you plan to use the drive in Windows as well, choose "FAT32."
  5. Step 5
    Click "Apply."
In step four if you can choose "NTSC" that's better for Windows.

Or as Cat said let the Windows install do it for you.

Ask a Question