Change OS from 32bit to 64bit with windows 7

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post to the forum.

I currently am running a 32bit OS with windows 7 Home Premium. I had windows vista (nightmare of a OS) and purchased an upgrade to the current OS above. It works great. The upgrade also came with a 64 bit version for windows 7. I want to change from my 32 bit OS to the 64bit OS.
I did check and my laptop is capable of running with a 64 bit OS, now do I need to do a clean install of windows 7 for this to happen?
Do I downgrade back to windows vista sp1 then install windows 7 as the upgrade again with the 64 bit disc?
Or
Do I need to go out and purchase a full version of windows 7 (I'd rather not do this one)?

Help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Reaction score
I did check and my laptop is capable of running with a 64 bit OS, now do I need to do a clean install of windows 7 for this to happen?
A custom (also known as clean) install is required when changing Bit version. Downgrading to Vista will not help you in the long run. You can not use the upgrade regardless of the operating system when changing Bit versions.

Take a look at this chart - https://www.w7forums.com/upgrading-your-pc-windows-7-a-t1444.html

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You can use your Upgrade Version disc to do a clean install and activation of Windows 7. It can't be used to upgrade the 32 bit version to the 64 bit version though. I believe that is what clifford_cooley meant.

Many people have done clean installs with "Upgrade" version Windows 7. Read this tutorial here:http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

Good Luck!

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Question:

I am installing a new win7 home premium (clean install - no upgrade). If I install the 32 bit version, can I later re-install the 64 bit version?

The reason I am asking is I am not sure my printer will work with the 64 bit.

Thanks again guys...

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Question:

I am installing a new win7 home premium (clean install - no upgrade). If I install the 32 bit version, can I later re-install the 64 bit version?

The reason I am asking is I am not sure my printer will work with the 64 bit.

Thanks again guys...
Yes you can install the 64 bit version later, if your system is 64 bit capable. Also, it will have to be another clean install because you can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Remember! One product key for both versions, BUT only one install on one computer per key! :)

If you're not sure about your printer. Go to the printer's web site and see if there are any Vista 64 bit or Windows 7 64 drivers. If there are, download them and save to an external drive or a USB thumb drive. Vista drivers have been working for most everyone using Windows 7. It seems it is the printer manufacturers that are dragging their feet on Windows 7 drivers. :lol:

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Yes you can install the 64 bit version later, if your system is 64 bit capable. Also, it will have to be another clean install because you can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Remember! One product key for both versions, BUT only one install on one computer per key! :)

If you're not sure about your printer. Go to the printer's web site and see if there are any Vista 64 bit or Windows 7 64 drivers. If there are, download them and save to an external drive or a USB thumb drive. Vista drivers have been working for most everyone using Windows 7. It seems it is the printer manufacturers that are dragging their feet on Windows 7 drivers. :lol:
Thanks, I never thought about the product key. So with the same product key I can reinstall the 64 bit version on the same laptop.

I know my laptop is 64 bit capable.

Thanks !!!!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thanks, I never thought about the product key. So with the same product key I can reinstall the 64 bit version on the same laptop.

I know my laptop is 64 bit capable.

Thanks !!!!
Yes, you can use the same product key with the x64 install. Also be sure to download all Windows 7 x64 drivers that are available for you brand and model laptop before and save them to an external hard drive, thumb drive or a CD-RW disk.

Windows 7 will install MOST drivers it needs, but not all. Even then sometimes you have to go to device manager and use it actually update the drivers manually.

For example for my Intel INF drivers I have to do the following in order to be sure they're completely up to date.

Some Intel(R) chipset platforms already are supported by
Windows 7* so it may not be necessary to use the INF
files provided by this software to update Windows 7*.

The following steps describe the installation process of
the Windows 7* INF files. You may need to repeat these
steps to update all Intel(R) chipset devices not supported
by Windows 7*.

1. Copy the contents of the
<INF Extract Directory>\XXXX\Win7
directory to the root directory A removable media,
such as a USB flash drive (UFD) or floppy disk (A:\).

NOTE:
XXXX is the directory name for the chipset
of interest. Refer to Section 8 for more details.

2. Close all programs currently running on the system.
3. Click on Start.
4. Select Settings.
5. Select the Control Panel.
6. Double-click on the System icon.
7. Click on the Hardware tab.
8. Click on the Device Manager button.
9. Select "Devices by connection" under the View menu.
10. Click on MPS Uniprocessor PC -OR- MPS
Multiprocessor PC.

NOTE:
Only one of the above items will be
displayed for a given system.

11. Click on PCI bus.
12. Right-click on the line containing the description
PCI standard host CPU bridge
-or-
PCI standard ISA bridge
-or-
PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
-or-
PCI System Management Bus
-or-
Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller
-or-
Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
(This line will be selected.)
13. Select Properties from the pull-down menu.
14. Click on the Driver tab.
15. Click on the Update Driver button.
16. Windows 7* will launch the Upgrade Device
Driver Wizard. Select Browse my computer for the driver software.
17. Enter "A:\" in the Combo Box
18. Ensure that the Include Subfolders checkbox is checked
19. Select Next
20. The window Will Display the Device that was installed
21. Select Close
22. Reboot the system if prompted to do so.
I don't use the "A Drive" floppy method or the Flash drive method, I just copy the Intel folder to my desktop and point the browse option to that folder. It works. :)

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Where can I find these Windows 7 x64 drivers? I have a Dell Latitude E6400

Sorry about all these questions, but I am a newbie here :dontknow:

Edit: I found them on the Dell website, there are 52 drivers! Do I have to download all of them? or there are some basic ones that are needed?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
No you don't need to download ALL of them!

1. DL the audio driver (Only one is listed.)

2. DL the BIOS update dated 12-1-2009 (It's best to update the BIOS before doing any new installs and such.) DL to your desktop follow the instructions below.
Double click the Icon on your desktop labeled E6400A19.EXE.
The Dell BIOS Flash window appears
Click the Continue button.
The message Pressing OK will close all applications, shut down Windows, Flash the BIOS, then reboot. appears.
Click the OK button.
The system will restart and the BIOS Flash will be completed. BE SURE you are NOT on BATTERY ONLY - have the AC adapter plugged in.
3. It is listing 9 DVD drivers (actually they're FIRMWARE updates, DL the one that pertains to the brand and model of the DVD drive you have. Then FLASH the drive.) Unzip the file and run the Windows executable in the Windows folder to update the FIRMWARE, its easy, just be sure not to power down when doing it or be running on battery only.

4. The Chipset Driver show 3, but two are the same. DL that one. It will do both. IF you have the Ricoh card reader DL that driver too.

The rest of the drivers are hardware specific. You'll need to research and find which drivers you need.

Best of all would be to download Driver Genius Pro. It will search all the drivers your computer needs after the Windows 7 install and download and install them automatically for you.

The BIOS update would be a good idea so your BIOS will be configured to the latest settings. After you install the BIOS you'll need to re-boot the computer and go to the BIOS while its rebooting. I believe on a DELL its holding the Delete key down while it restarts. Then choose: Load Optimized Defaults selection and reboot again.

The firmware update for the CD/DVD drive will help with compatibility for Windows 7. BE SURE to READ the install instructions for the firmware!

IMPORTANT - READ THIS FROM DELL:
The following list is an overview of the correct order to install drivers on Dell desktops and portables. After reinstalling Microsoft® Windows®, follow the order listed when reinstalling drivers. It is recommended that you print this list for reference when installing drivers.
Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

1. Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling Windows or updating all drivers, it is important that this software be installed first. This is located under the System Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

5. Laptops Only: Dell Quickset or Dell Control Point Manager (DCP) - Controls power management, ambient light sensor, wireless profiles, and security features on laptops. This is located under the Applications on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

7. Modem - Allows dial-up capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

8. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

9. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Input Device Drivers Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

10. Other Devices
  • Intel vProTM or AMTTM - Enhances system manageability. This is located under the Chipset Category on on the Drivers and Downloads page.
  • Bluetooth ® Module located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
  • Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
  • PCMCIA/Smartcard controller located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
  • Touch Screen Digitizer Enables touch screen mouse control available on select Dell laptops. This is located under the Input Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
I know this is lengthy but since you're a newb, I felt I had to be specific so you don't have any F.U.B.A.R moments.

Also download the following:
SIW - System Information for Windows Download the stand alone program. It's free and will tell you just about everything you need to know about your hardware, motherboard, etc.
Do this before you install Windows 7 to get all the info about you hardware, the versions, etc. Write it all down or I believe you can also print it out too.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes!

P.S.
Send me a PM... please!

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Sorry to be a pain, but i could not see anywhere on the Dell Drivers and Downloads page, the System Utilities Category to DL Notebook System Software (NSS).!!

Do I really need to DL this?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I believe the software you want to use is this:
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...d=-1&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1

I have several associates who hate DELL software and just install the latest drivers themselves.

A lot of this DELL software is for people who don't do the install, updates, etc., just use a computer and that's it. It basically for, pardon the expression, "the lowest common denominator".

Ask a Question