SOLVED Can 64bit OS be installed as 32bit?

Reaction score
I would like to purchase and install Windows 7 64 bit OS. However some software that I need will not run on it. I don't know if this software will in XP mode under W7 but I do know that it will run on W7 32 bit. If I buy the 64 bit does it give me the option to install the 32 bit?

Reaction score
Hi SteveWatters - Welcome to w7forums

Only the Retail Box comes with both DVD's so you can choose either version you want installed. If you buy OEM, it will only come with one DVD so you will have to choose which install you want when buying.

PS. Even though the Retail comes with both versions, you are legally only allowed to install one of them. If you want to switch later, you must un-install the first one.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I would like to purchase and install Windows 7 64 bit OS. However some software that I need will not run on it. I don't know if this software will in XP mode under W7 but I do know that it will run on W7 32 bit. If I buy the 64 bit does it give me the option to install the 32 bit?
SteveWatters, Welcome to the forum! How much RAM do you have? If you have more than 3GB installed, 32 bit Windows 7 won't allow you to use it all. 3GB is all you have access to. You could try XP Mode, it's free, to see if your software runs with it. It would be a shame to pay to downgrade when you may not have to. XP Mode does help many users run the apps they need, that's the purpose of the program. How about giving that a shot first, and let us know how it turns out. Should you need further help, don't hesitate to post back.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

My plan is to install W7 64 bits first and try to run the app in XP mode. This would be my preferred solution. The 32 bit is a fall back option. I might even go dual boot in that case. The first reply to my post indicated that the retail box contains both versions so I am pursuing 2 options. I am trying to see if Microsoft would allow me to download and install the 32 bit version if I purchase the 64 bit version with a new laptopn and I can't run the app. in XP mode. I am also trying to see iof the OEM will provide both disks.

We'll see what happens. Thanks again for the feedback!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If you were to run both 32 and 64 bit versions as a dual boot, you would need two separate license keys for each install. That would be your most expensive option. If you could run the XP Mode, this would be your best bet as far as price and convenience goes. No dual boot is required, so you can access your app quickly.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I am also trying to see iof the OEM will provide both disks.
The OEM version is sold as one disc only, either 32 bit or 64 bit. Your choice upon purchase.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, it will tell you which of your 32 bit programs may be not compatible with the 64 bit version.

However, nearly all the 32 bit programs are functioning fine on Windows 7 x64 versions.

Reaction score
Windows 7 License

Just to clarify a couple of things. I am going to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. However if I cannot run software that I need for work, including Cisco VPN client and Lonmaker Turbo, on the 64 bit version or in XP mode, then I may need to downgrade to the 32 bit version. A previous reply to this post indicated that I will only get the one version (i.e. 64) when I but a laptop with an OEM version of W7. If I need to downgrade and can get a copy of the 32 bit version from a friend, can I uninstall W7 and install the 32 bit version using the software key received with the 64 bit and will this software be legal?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
can I uninstall W7 and install the 32 bit version using the software key received with the 64 bit and will this software be legal?
Yes you can, but only one install per key per machine. You can't have both versions installed with the same product key.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Just to clarify a couple of things. I am going to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. However if I cannot run software that I need for work, including Cisco VPN client and Lonmaker Turbo, on the 64 bit version or in XP mode, then I may need to downgrade to the 32 bit version. A previous reply to this post indicated that I will only get the one version (i.e. 64) when I but a laptop with an OEM version of W7. If I need to downgrade and can get a copy of the 32 bit version from a friend, can I uninstall W7 and install the 32 bit version using the software key received with the 64 bit and will this software be legal?
XP Mode may prove to be your solution, and it's free, so it's worth a shot. No need to downgrade unless it's your last option.

Reaction score
Thread Complete

It looks as though I got things figured out and I will be ordering my new laptop tomorrow. Thanks for all your help and I'll let you know how things work out. By the way Dell will not ship both versions of W7 with the Laptop but they have stated that they will send me a 32 bit version of W& if I need it, for the cost of the media.

There was a prompt for me somewhere during the life of this thread asking me to close out the thread if it was complete. Can anyone tell me where to do this?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It looks as though I got things figured out and I will be ordering my new laptop tomorrow. Thanks for all your help and I'll let you know how things work out. By the way Dell will not ship both versions of W7 with the Laptop but they have stated that they will send me a 32 bit version of W& if I need it, for the cost of the media.

There was a prompt for me somewhere during the life of this thread asking me to close out the thread if it was complete. Can anyone tell me where to do this?
There are tools at the first post on this topic. It's a drop down list. Check "Mark this problem as solved", that's all it is to it. Hope that your new laptop works out for you. Should you need further assistance, feel free to come back.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Steve

You will find many 32-bit apps will run fine on a 64-bit OS and today many software vendors (including freeware) are covering 64-bit computing in there new version releases, 64-bit is the way forward in todays computing :).

Reaction score
Model: DQ35J0

hi, i am new to this forum. i wish to know that as i have 64bit windows 7 and my motherboard model is DQ35J0, for which i am not available driver for
1) Intel Active Management Technology
2) Intel Management Engine Interface
because of the above missing drivers, i am not able to function properly and also i am not getting the proper software from intem.com.

Could anyone help me in this matter... thanks in advance...

Ask a Question