BSODs a lot! :(

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can upload JPGs, PNGs, or GIFs but not BMPs. Bitmaps tend to be larger so please use one of the accepted image formats.

So no, it's not an issue with SP1, it's a site restriction.

Reaction score
Oh, thanks for clarification. :) And I think it crashed yesterday even though Service Pack was installed. I opened my netbook with a message saying that it has shutdown unexpectedly. Checking the minidump, I saw this one. I'm assuming it crashed down when my brother played games (I remember asking him to do so before I went to sleep just to see if it would crash again)View attachment 6057

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes SP1 is installed and it indicates Chrome was running during the crash. But no modules are flagged as a problem which is pretty rare. The error listed has to do with memory (RAM).

When you ran memtest86+ how many passes did you allow? (6-8 are recommended)

I'm also hoping Shintaro sees something, he has more experience reading BSODs.

Shintaro

Reaction score
The analysis is inconclusive. But, have you installed the latest version of chrome? Have installed any Add-ons for Chrome?

But in order to dig deeper in to the crash you will need to enable Driver Verifier.

Driver verifier

The Driver Verifier tool that is included in every version of Windows since Windows 2000 it is used to detect and troubleshoot many driver issues that are known to cause system corruption, failures, or other unpredictable behavior.

***FIRST: Please backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Windows 7 Startup Repair feature.)
  1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
  2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
  3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
  4. Select:
    ---- Special Pool
    ---- Pool Tracking
    ---- Force IRQL Checking
    ----Deadlock Detection
    ---- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)
    ---- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
    ---- Miscellaneous Checks

5. Click "Next"
  6. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
  7. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
  8. Select "Finish" on the next page.
Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

How Long should I wait for a crash?

- If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

How do I turn Driver Verifier off?!

- Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page.

- Or press the Windows Key + R, and type in "verifier /reset" (Without the quotes)

- Then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post. then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

I can't get in to Windows, what do I do?

- If Windows will not start and get to a login screen or desktop, because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.

- If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Reaction score
Yes SP1 is installed and it indicates Chrome was running during the crash. But no modules are flagged as a problem which is pretty rare. The error listed has to do with memory (RAM).

When you ran memtest86+ how many passes did you allow? (6-8 are recommended)

I'm also hoping Shintaro sees something, he has more experience reading BSODs.
Okay wait I'll do it again. :) Thank you, thank you.

Reaction score
The analysis is inconclusive. But, have you installed the latest version of chrome? Have installed any Add-ons for Chrome?

But in order to dig deeper in to the crash you will need to enable Driver Verifier.

Driver verifier

The Driver Verifier tool that is included in every version of Windows since Windows 2000 it is used to detect and troubleshoot many driver issues that are known to cause system corruption, failures, or other unpredictable behavior.

***FIRST: Please backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Windows 7 Startup Repair feature.)
  1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
  2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
  3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
  4. Select:
    ---- Special Pool
    ---- Pool Tracking
    ---- Force IRQL Checking
    ----Deadlock Detection
    ---- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)
    ---- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
    ---- Miscellaneous Checks
  5. Click "Next"
  6. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
  7. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
  8. Select "Finish" on the next page.
Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

How Long should I wait for a crash?

- If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

How do I turn Driver Verifier off?!

- Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page.

- Or press the Windows Key + R, and type in "verifier /reset" (Without the quotes)

- Then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post. then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

I can't get in to Windows, what do I do?

- If Windows will not start and get to a login screen or desktop, because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.

- If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

All right. I'll definitely do this. Thank you so much. :) I'll keep you updated.

Reaction score
Um... I don't know if this has something to do with the problem but this program(?) continually pops up a screen message. I don't even remember installing this. I looked it up in the search part of windows and saw nothing. I searched through the Programs and Features hoping that I'd be able to see and uninstall it but no such name is listed there.

Attachments

Reaction score
I have a confession to make. I just realized that I had mistaken memtest for Memory Diagnostic test. :(((( I tried typing "mem" in the search part of Windows and it lead me to Memory Diagnostic test. Me and my ignorance. :(( Sorry. I don't have any idea as to how I could analyze what is being done here. So if you could tell me what to look at, then I'll be able to provide what information is needed.

As of now, this is what I'm seeing:
Time: 0:15:19
Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-3230M CPU @2.60GHz
Pass 49% (insert 38 number sign- # here)
Test 23% #########
Test #9 [Random number sequence]
Testing: 2048M-3248M 1200M of 8085M

Reaction score
RAM: 665 MHz (DDR3-1330) - BCLK: 99
Timings: CAS 6-6-6-20 @64-bit mode
Pass: 0 Errors: 14

CPU Temp
67644 (wth? Is this even real?)

Core#: 0 (SMP: Disabled)
State: Running...
Cores: 1 Active/ 1 Total

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Memtest86 runs outside of Windows (in the same fashion as Windows Defender Offline which Shintaro also asked you to run).

Basically, you burn a bootable CD then boot your computer to the CD and let it run overnight. See Tutorial. In the morning it will still be running and you will see a count of "passes" on the screen and any errors. If you see errors you know there is a problem with your memory (RAM) ... it could be the BIOS settings or actual chips that need replaced. If it reaches 6 to 10 passes without error then your memory is probably OK (Errors mean problems but no errors is not an absolute guarantee).

Reaction score
@Shintaro
I'm not 100% sure if my Chrome is in its latest version but I always see to it to have my dafault browser updated. I'll check for updates immediately once this memtest is completed. Ü (Honestly, I don't have any idea when this test would end but I think I'll just have to sit and wait D:

For the add-ons, I have these installed on my browser:
Adblock Plus1.7.4
Clearly10.1.1.1
Facebook™ Chat Privacy0.0.15
FVD Downloader5.7.7
Looper for YouTube4.15.0.
Photo Zoom for Facebook1.1312.1.2
Turn Off the Lights2.3.0.23
Skype Click to Call7.2.15747.10003

Reaction score
Memtest86 runs outside of Windows (in the same fashion as Windows Defender Offline which Shintaro also asked you to run).

Basically, you burn a bootable CD then boot your computer to the CD and let it run overnight. See Tutorial. In the morning it will still be running and you will see a count of "passes" on the screen and any errors. If you see errors you know there is a problem with your memory (RAM) ... it could be the BIOS settings or actual chips that need replaced. If it reaches 6 to 10 passes without error then your memory is probably OK (Errors mean problems but no errors is not an absolute guarantee).

Uh oh. As of now, the test indicated
Pass: 1
Errors: 14

Not going well, I think?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah, that's not good, especially since you only have a single stick of RAM. From your information you posted earlier it shows you have a single 8GB chip in slot 3, and the timings appear to be correct in the BIOS ... which means memory problems are most likely hardware, i.e. RAM chip needs to be replaced.

Price-wise, if you do replace the RAM stick, you would probably find it cheaper to buy a pair of 4GB RAM sticks than a single 8GB (unless your netbook is still under warranty).

Reaction score
Yeah, that's not good, especially since you only have a single stick of RAM. From your information you posted earlier it shows you have a single 8GB chip in slot 3, and the timings appear to be correct in the BIOS ... which means memory problems are most likely hardware, i.e. RAM chip needs to be replaced.

Price-wise, if you do replace the RAM stick, you would probably find it cheaper to buy a pair of 4GB RAM sticks than a single 8GB (unless your netbook is still under warranty).
Ah. So the main root of the BSOD is about that RAM chips that needs replacing? Am I right? And I believe my netbook is still under warranty. We just bought it this March. Will they allow me to have the chip replaced?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you just got it last month then it should definitely be covered. I suggest you contact the company and tell them you've experienced random BSODs since you got it and the DMPs & memtest86 indicate it is a problem with the memory.

It could turn out to be a defective slot on the motherboard but more likely it just needs a new RAM chip. Either way, let them determine that and get them to fix it.

Reaction score
If you just got it last month then it should definitely be covered. I suggest you contact the company and tell them you've experienced random BSODs since you got it and the DMPs & memtest86 indicate it is a problem with the memory.

It could turn out to be a defective slot on the motherboard but more likely it just needs a new RAM chip. Either way, let them determine that and get them to fix it.
Thanks so much to you and Shintaro for your help. I definitely wouldn't be able to reach this point without your support. Can't let this thing be fixed today since my mom has left the receipt and other imporant document in her office. Anyway, I'll just give an update on whatever happened. Really, thank you so much. :)

Currently, there are now 2 "passes" and 3232 errors. Do you think the problem's serious enough?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
14 was serious enough. Definitely try to get it resolved under warranty.

Ask a Question