BSODs a lot! :(

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you keep regular backups? Now would also be a good time to back up all your data to an external hard drive or flash drive(s).

And please go ahead and upgrade to SP1.

If you get any more blue screens post the DMPs.

And in a couple days, run another safe mode full scan.

Reaction score
Question, do I only have to copy these into a notepad:

For Windows 7
# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handle within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

I'm quite confused because it says there, "sample". Will I have to provide details?

Reaction score
OK, be sure to reset your HOSTS file: Microsoft HOSTS file Fix-it.

And check all your browsers for suspicions homepages, toolbars, and add-ons.

Nope, I don't have any toolbar in my default browser- Chrome. (I don't know if this would count but I do have Bing in Windows Internet Explorer)

My add-ons in Chrome include:
Adblock Plus1.7.4
Clearly10.1.1.1
Facebook™ Chat Privacy0.0.15
FVD Downloader5.7.7 (can't remember downloading this one, probably my sister did)
Looper for YouTube4.15.0.
Photo Zoom for Facebook1.1312.1.2
Turn Off the Lights2.3.0.23
Skype Click to Call7.2.15747.10003
Web Navigation1.0 (I don't know what's this for but I do know for sure that I didn't install this one)

Reaction score
Do you keep regular backups? Now would also be a good time to back up all your data to an external hard drive or flash drive(s).

And please go ahead and upgrade to SP1.

If you get any more blue screens post the DMPs.

And in a couple days, run another safe mode full scan.

For backing up my data, is Local Disk D okay?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I think Microsoft is terrible for slipping Bing in with your Windows Updates but it is safe. Still, if you don't use it I suggest you uninstall it.

As for the HOSTS fix, you do not have to provide any addresses. I've never used the fix-it tool myself because I don't want mine reset so you may have to tell me what it says/asks. What I had hoped is that you click the "Fix this problem" which starts a download of MicrosoftFixit50267.msi and when that downloads you run it. Hopefully it resets your hosts file to the default (which is really just that text you posted) and it's that simple.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Local disk D: is probably on the same physical drive as C:, so it really is not recommended; it is better than nothing but it's not ideal. If that hard drive would fail/crash you could easily loose C: and D:. Also, since that drive is always accessible, any virus that deletes or edits files on C: could also erase/damage files on D: including your backups.

So if you have important data that cannot easily be replaced, for example family photos, it is always a good idea to back them up to a drive that is not connected all the time. I recommend a little flash drive you can throw in a drawer and only connect it periodically to update your data files.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And if you didn't install Web Navigation1.0 then disable it and if possible delete/uninstall it.

Shintaro

Reaction score
I personally prefer Microsoft's OneDrive for important things like photos and some backups. I tend to lose things like thumb drives. Far too much computer gear laying around. Or maybe it is old age catching up with me.:D

Reaction score
Well I think Microsoft is terrible for slipping Bing in with your Windows Updates but it is safe. Still, if you don't use it I suggest you uninstall it.

As for the HOSTS fix, you do not have to provide any addresses. I've never used the fix-it tool myself because I don't want mine reset so you may have to tell me what it says/asks. What I had hoped is that you click the "Fix this problem" which starts a download of MicrosoftFixit50267.msi and when that downloads you run it. Hopefully it resets your hosts file to the default (which is really just that text you posted) and it's that simple.
Ah... so after running the MicrosoftFixit50267.msi, then that should be it? No problem whatsoever?

Reaction score
I personally prefer Microsoft's OneDrive for important things like photos and some backups. I tend to lose things like thumb drives. Far too much computer gear laying around. Or maybe it is old age catching up with me.:D
Looks like I could try this one. Haven't heard of this until you mentioned it. :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
With a virus like this I cannot make an absolute promise. But it looks good so far. You should monitor your system closely for a while by running the safe mode scan every 2 or 3 days for a couple weeks.

Disable Web Navigation1.0 and if possible delete/uninstall it.

And please run windows updates to install SP1.

Post DMPs if you get any more BSODs and let us know if future scans pick up any more of the virus.

Reaction score
With a virus like this I cannot make an absolute promise. But it looks good so far. You should monitor your system closely for a while by running the safe mode scan every 2 or 3 days for a couple weeks.

Disable Web Navigation1.0 and if possible delete/uninstall it.

And please run windows updates to install SP1.

Post DMPs if you get any more BSODs and let us know if future scans pick up any more of the virus.
Thank you for your endless support, sir. :) Speaking of BSODs, I just got twice in a row. One happened when I tried opening a game (Sims) and the other one was when I was typing a reply to this thread to report what happened. If this info be of any help, I think most of my BSODs occur when I'm running a major program (like a game) or when I'm browsing the net with multiple tabs open (plus downloading random things). :(

Shintaro

Reaction score
I'll have a look at those crash files.
But some other time you can download and run Windows Defender Offline. It will create a CD / DVD / USB and will boot and scan your hard drive offline.
It's free and viruses can't operate when windows is not running.

Also there are many Articles Here, which might help in the future.

Reaction score
I'll have a look at those crash files.
But some other time you can download and run Windows Defender Offline. It will create a CD / DVD / USB and will boot and scan your hard drive offline.
It's free and viruses can't operate when windows is not running.

Also there are many Articles Here, which might help
Thank you. I'll definitely have a look at them. Question, could the constant reappearance of BSODs be a symptom of my hardware being damaged? (Like to the point of replacing it with a new one? :(

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Hardware problems can cause BSODs, sure. But so do viruses or bad drivers.

And you really need to update to SP1 so we can rule that out as well.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Absolutely, please install Windows 7 Service Pack 1.
After you have done that, try all the things that you know, that in the past caused your computer to crash.
If it crashes please put them in a zip file and upload them to the forum.

Reaction score
I'm back. :D
I think I have updated it successfully. (or so the installer said) I tried looking into control panel, under system, and there I saw a label "Service Pack 1" so I think I've nailed it, no?
But the thing that confuses me is, I cannot upload bitmap image to this thread. I mean, when SP 1 has not been installed yet, I have no problem uploading images using paint, but now it is the reverse. Do you think the updating might have caused this one?

I'll also try playing games (one of the things that seem to cause BSODs) to see if there are any differences after updating the system.

Last edited:

Ask a Question