BSOD when playing SC II or Age of Conan

Reaction score
I see. I used to have BSODs with Starcraft 2 every time after exiting the game and everything was pointing to faulty memory. Turns out it was all about the RAM voltage and leaving it on 'auto' in the BIOS was a bad idea. After correcting the RAM voltage in the BIOS, the BSODs were gone so you may want to look at your RAM voltage as well.

Reaction score
Hmm... I updated them from the link you provided (http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=32&cat=3&os=11)

and selected SiI 3132 64-bit Windows BASE Driver for Windows 7. There were 2 files inside to choose from: AMD64 or IA64. I choose AMD64 becasue all three of the files you wanted me to replace were present. In the IA64 file there was no SiRemFil.sys.

Although the file name AMD64 suggests for an AMD chip but I have Intel? Perhaps I selected the wrong one? Fairly certain my old files were BASE and not RAID.

The files show an updated date as of 11/1/10 for the three you wanted me to replace.

Should I try the two files from the IA64 (although no replacement for the SiRemFil.sys or select the RAID file and replace?

Thanks

Reaction score
I see. I used to have BSODs with Starcraft 2 every time after exiting the game and everything was pointing to faulty memory. Turns out it was all about the RAM voltage and leaving it on 'auto' in the BIOS was a bad idea. After correcting the RAM voltage in the BIOS, the BSODs were gone so you may want to look at your RAM voltage as well.
Thank Shadowalk, I'll also research that as well as I do get a random crash instead of a BSOD while playing.

Such a fun game but such a PITA for some systems!

Reaction score
Hrrm..I just downloaded and checked for myself. Seems that their update date shown on the download page is a complete lie.

The drivers are still from 2007.

Can't say for sure if that's an issue or not, but I do know that it's not a good thing to see drivers from before July 2009 on a Windows 7 machine. It doesn't automatically mean they're bad. It does however, mean they are suspect.

You can test your memory overnight 8-10 passes with Memtest86+.

Let us know how that goes.

Reaction score
8 passes with memtest overnight and no issues reported..... almost wish there was an issue at this point! lol

Reaction score
I would disable the Silicon Image card in the device manager. Reboot and use the machine for as long as it takes to be satisfied that crashes no longer happen or see that they do.

Reaction score
Download and run CPU-Z. Then post a screen shot each of the spd and memory tabs.

The Silicon Image drivers are still active in this crash, however.

If the settings are well as shown by CPU-Z, I would test the memory again and also physically remove the card.

But perhaps there is something I will see with settings, first.

Reaction score
Hi Torrent,

I will do as you ask but I thought I should mention I have 2 storage controller devices:

Silicon Image Sil 3132 SATALink Controller - disabled
Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5 Series/3400 Series SATA RAID Controller - enabled

Not sure if that means anything but thought I should mention it.

I'll post the screen shots when I am done.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
You might want to check it is not over heating your graphics card to give you the BSOD.

Reaction score
You might want to check it is not over heating your graphics card to give you the BSOD.

My system is staying at 24C - 25C consistently and the BSOD's are only happening with SC2. I play other more graphic intensive games than SC2 without issues.

Thanks for the input though!

Reaction score
Bios is set well.

So 2 things...

1) Remove the SI card from the machine. See how it goes.

2) Continue testing memory for defects.

Reaction score
OK, I opened my pc up and there is no SI card..... is that possible? I checked SI site to get exactly what to look for and it is nowhere in my pc.......

Ask a Question