BSOD when installing Windows 7 in AHCI (WD Caviar Black)

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'll try to explain my problem in as few words as possible.

First thing, my build:
Board: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
CPU: Core i7 870 @ 2,93 Ghz
Graphic: Sapphire AMD Radeon 8670
Mushkin 2x2Gb Red Culvert Kit @ 1600Mhz CAS 6-7-7-18
Seagate 320 GB SATA II HDD
+ WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III HDD
Running: Windows 7 Ultimate
Trying to install: Windows 7 Ultimat
PSU: LC Power Arkangel 850W

Ok so here's the deal. I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed on my 320 Gb HDD and everything is running ok. I just bought a WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III disk and I want to install Windows 7 there, since the disk is faster.
Here's what happens. When I connect the disk (it is connected GSATA 3 connectors), the disk will be recognized in bios and in Windows, but wont show under My Computer. I figured it must be some software bug so I formatted the disk in diskpart (clean format) and installed Windows 7 on it. At that time the GSATA 3 interface was set to IDE mode. It ran fine but after installing a big batch of Windows updates, the system hung at windows startup screen. After restoring the system to a previous state (i.e. before the updates), the system booted up normally.
I didnt know what was wrong so I formatted again, and this time I set the GSATA 3 to AHCI mode, since I realized this is a better option. When installing in AHCI mode, the computer expands the windows files but when the system is restarted, I get a BSOD (code Stop 0x000000B4 video driver failed to initialize) at Setup is updating registry settings. I really want to use the AHCI mode, but I cant get the system to work in IDE either so its really a bugger. I have no idea what could be causing this as the system works fine when using the other disk. Can the BSOD be caused by the disk? Anyway, I' open to suggestions since I really want to start using the disk. Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I have tried installing Windows 7 from a dvd as well as from a USB key.

Thank you,

J

Reaction score
Both drive's need to be able to use AHCI. Also, if they're both AHCI capable, it need's to be configured in the bios first. From experience as I have 2 of the WD Caviar Black 1.0 tb's in my pc personally I 'd use your 1.0 tb. drive for the paging file, Contacts, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Saved Games, Searches and Videos. Also, if the Seagate drive is AHCI compatible , your best bet is to configure the AHCI in the bios first, reformat both drives during a pre-Clean Install of Windows 7. *Note*- Look over the graphica card you listed. I think you meant Saphire Radeon HD6870. Note 2 expect it to take over 3 hr's. to run Check Disk on that Western Digital Caviar Black 1.0 tb. drive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes sorry there was a mistype in the graphic card name.
The disks are not connected at the same time. Only 1tb disk was connected when I was installing Windows and the BSOD happened. I am currently using the 320Gb disk to use the forums and everything works great.
GSATA 3 controller is set to AHCI in bios and SATA 2 controller to IDE but this is irrelevant since the disks are never connected simultaneously.
Is it possible that the GSATA3 controller is not working properly?

Reaction score
I'm not sure on that one. I'd go to Seagte's website and submit a support ticket asking if the 320 gb. hd. is AHCI capable. It very well could be that you have 1 controller set to IDE and the other set to AHCI. It could also, be that you set them both backwards (ie: 1 that should be AHCI to IDE and vice versa). That's why I'd ask Seagate about there drive you have. Also, from experience with a similar situation. Definitely do a new clean install and reformat both drives before the actual install. When you pick the drive to install Windows on there's an Advanced Options which lets you format, etc. Again if the Seagate drive is AHCI capable, do yourself a favore and use it for Windows and use the W.D. Cavair Black 1.0 tb. drive for the paging file and all your personal stuff. That way if you ever have to reinstall Windows in the future, all your documents etc. are still on the second drive, untouched. All you'd have to reinstall would be your programs. Personally, I'd ask Seagte then backup the Contacts, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Saved Games, Searches and Videos to an external drive and do a clean install.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Don't hook up your drives to the G SATA 3 connector. It is AHCI compatible, but mostly it's for RAID setups only! It's controlled by the Marvell / JMicron chipset which is not that great of a chipset

Hook up your WD drive to the SATA2_0 port, then your Seagate to the SATA2_1 port. Boot drive should be on the 0 port as it works best that way. The Intel P55 chipset is the one that works best since Intel was the main developer of the AHCI configuration. Be sure to load the Intel RST Driver during install prior to finishing the install. Put the driver on a flash drive and then install it in the screen that shows the drives and "Advanced Features".

Go to page 52 in your mobo manual and set the configuration as follows:

Xtreme Hard drive setting is ENABLED
PCI SATA Control Mode is AHCI
SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode is DISABLED

Save those settings and you should be good to go. The Intel RST driver is Rapid Storage Technology driver and you want to use the "floppy" driver version even though you don't have a floppy drive. Just copy the folder to the flash drive and plug the drive in when you're in the Advanced section of Windows 7 install screen. This driver is also called the Intel SATA Raid driver too.

Intel® RST Driver Files (for version 10.​1) -​​ F6 Install (64-​​bit)

5.3 Pre-Installation Using the F6 Method.

Note: The Steps 1 and 2 can be skipped if you use the F6 Floppy
disk utility provided by Intel. These methods
are applicable to systems configured for RAID or
AHCI mode.

1. Extract all driver files from the installation package.
See section 7.2 for instructions on extracting the
files.

2. Create a floppy* containing the following files in the root
directory:
iaAhci.inf, iaAhci.cat,
iaStor.inf, iaStor.cat,
iaStor.sys, and
TxtSetup.oem.

* Note: For Windows Vista* or Windows 7, you can use a floppy, CD/DVD or USB.

3. For Microsoft Windows XP*:

- At the beginning of the operating system installation,
press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.

- When prompted, select 'S' to Specify Additional Device.

- Continue to step 5.

4. For Microsoft Windows Vista*:

- During the operating system installation, after selecting the
location to install Vista, click Load Driver to
install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.

- Continue to step 5.

5. When prompted, insert the media (floppy, CD/DVD
or USB) you created in step 2 and press Enter.

6. At this point you should be presented with a selection
for one of the controllers listed in the Overview (Section 1)
of this document depending on your hardware version and
configuration.

7. Highlight the selection that is appropriate for the
hardware in your system and press Enter.

8. Press Enter again to continue. Leave the floppy disk in
the system until the next reboot as the software will
need to be copied from the floppy disk again when setup
is copying files.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@ Nibiru2012: Ill try this setup but I have 2 quick questions. Why enable XHD, im not trying to have a raid setup, in fact I'm trying to get rid of the 320gb disk since it's quite old and has been acting sluggish.
And the second thing, if I connect a SATA3 disk to a SATA2 interface, do I have to use a jumper (like it says on the HDD itself) or will the interface automatically limit the transfer rate?

Thank you,

J

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Okay... maybe it MIGHT just be for RAID but try enabling it and see if you can set the next setting to AHCI, if not then disable XHD and set the next for AHCI.

The SATA port numbering on this Gigabyte motherboard is confusing you. It has NOTHING to do with whether or not the drive is SATA I type or SATA II type. SATA I equals 1.5 Gbps and SATA II equals 3 Gbps. The port are backward compatible so that's not an issue. If your SATA drive is SATA II class then it will be recognized and run at 3 Gbps maximum "potential" speed.

Don't mess with the jumper settings at all on the hard drives. There are very few SATA III drives available at the moment (some call them SATA 6 because of the 6 Gbps transfer speed). Your Western Digital may be one of those that is 6 Gbps capable BUT your motherboard's P55 chipset only supports up to 3 Gbps SATA II hard drives.

Your motherboard's specs state that the Marvell chipset for ports 6 & 7 is 6 Gbps capable but I believe that's only in a RAID configuration, not a singe drive attachment.
Intel P55 Chipset:
  1. 6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
  2. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
Marvell 9128 chip:
  1. 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
  2. Support for SATA RAID 0 and RAID 1
* SATA3 RAID 0 4x and SATA3 2x performance are maximum theoretical values. Actual performance may vary by system configuration.
* SATA3 SSDs are not recommended for use in RAID 0 mode on Marvell SE9128 ports.

JMB362 SATA2 chip:
  1. 2 x eSATA 3Gb/s connectors on the back panel supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
  2. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD
You might call Gigabyte US Tech support and see what they tell you.

I own a Gigabyte motherboard and the only thing different about yours is the XHD feature, which confused me a little bit.

Try what I'm suggesting and see how it works out. The 6 SATA ports controlled by the Intel P55 chipset are the ones you want to use. Boot drive on port 0, the other hard drives on 1, 2, etc. I always put the DVD optical drive on the 6th port or port 5 as it's labeled on the motherboard.

READ your motherboard manual thoroughly in the BIOS section to be sure you understand what's going on there. I realize that most BIOS sections in motherboard manuals are not the most concise or explanatory of settings, configuration, etc., but the more you know what's available and how to set things the better off you'll be.

You might also try it the way that you were doing it, but don't hook up the other hard drive, just leave the WD hooked up to port 6 and set it as the primary boot hard drive. But be sure you set the DVD drive as the "First Boot Device" in the BIOS. Windows 7 is VERY FINICKY when it comes to having more than one hard drive connected during the initial install process.

Also you'll need to install the Marvell drivers in the initial install same as the Intel RST drivers are installed.

Last edited:

Ask a Question