BSOD - Please help!!

Reaction score
Hello, I just joined this forum and this is my first time posting.
I built my desktop in late December last year. Everything seemed fine until I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Korean) and started installing programs I regularly use. Then, BSOD hit me...I'd never had a self-built computer crash on me so fast after building, and I thought it might be a problem with Windows 7 installation, so I tried formatting and re-installing windows multiple times (probably 5~6 times), but BSOD kept happening. Windows 7 even refused to be installed at all twice or so.

I have been really busy with work since, so I just never got around to try fixing it until last week. I did a fresh installation, then everything seemed fine until two nights ago, when my computer failed to boot up. I get the usual bios messages and even the windows logo that shows up before the mouse pointer appears, then BSOD. It happens every time I try to boot up. I managed to pull out minidumps, so I'm attaching them here.

It seems to me like a hardware problem. I have run windows memory diagnostic tool through multiple passes, which told me there aren't any problems with my memory, but who knows. My amateur guess for the culprit is the motherboard, but I wanted to ask for professional opinions here and decide which components I should send in for after-service.

My system specs are below

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D
CPU: Intel i7-860 Lynnfield
RAM: EKMEMORY DDR3 8G (4x2G) PC3-12800
Video: Rextech Xpert Radeon HD 4890 D5 1GB
Power: CORE Chungoong Bingsan 600W

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You can update drivers by booting into safe mode + networking,

You're having a problem with the video driver.

Code:
atikmdag atikmdag.sys Tue May 04 21:41:02 2010
Code:
BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff880051fb07a, 0, 0}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmdag.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+38f07a )
Please install the latest one by visiting this link:

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Your Realtek lan driver could use an udpate, so please do so by visiting the following link:

Code:
Rt64win7 Rt64win7.sys Fri May 22 10:52:30 2009
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...L)<br>RTL8168C/RTL8111DP/RTL8111E<br>RTL8105E

If these two actions above do not help, then I would uninstall Avast and then use the special tool found here to clear it from the machine:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

MSE is an excellent and perfectly stable replacement for antivirus. The bsods may very well be being caused by Avast, so definitely give this suggestion a try after updating drivers if needed.

Please post a new crash dump after these things if necessary and also, please keep us informed how things are going.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I am quite sure video and lan drivers were up to date when the BSODs started happening.
It is impossible to boot my pc up from C drive at the moment, in normal, safe, or even command line mode. Once I get home after work tonight, I will try a fresh windows installation with up-to-date drivers without avast as you suggested.
Thank you for your assistance, and I will be back with more information as soon as possible.

Reaction score
May have found the reason...

I was going to do a fresh windows installation but for some reason just wanted to take a look at BIOS settings...and there it was. A red voltage reading in the hardware monitor. I don't know if this was always there and I somehow missed it or if it just started happening recently.

3.3V -> 3.360V
5V -> 5.544V !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! outrageous!
12V -> 12.656V

A quick search on google told me that the version 2.2 spec for ATX voltage tolerance is +-5% for 5V. 5.544V is well over +10%....The other values don't look too hot either. My guess is that power supply overvoltage is big enough a reason to cause various types of BSOD crashes...Hardware problem makes sense because when I actually tried to ignore this blasphemy and went on to boot up from Windows 7 installation disk, guess what. BSOD. While booting up from the installation disk! I had no idea that was even possible.

I've arranged to mail in the power supply unit. Hopefully they'll give me a new one, but that's probably not going to happen because it's been too long since I bought it. At least the warranty's still valid so they'll fix it up for free. If this PSU caused any permanent damage to my other components like the mobo, RAM, or video card, I am definitely going to make them pay...Either way, I'm never buying from this manufacturer ever again. I should've stuck with more expensive but trustworthy choices.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your help, and I'll be back once my fixed PSU gets back in its place and starts doing its job right. Hopefully then will be my last post on this thread saying my system is up and running smoothly.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum pmoon..

Glad you have nailed down what seems to be the reason of your BSOD. Please come back and lets us know if you are finally up and running smoothly. We are open 24/7/365.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Never heard of that brand of power supply you're using. I hope they honor the warranty.

If not, get one that's at least an 80 Plus Bronze Certified PSU. Antec, Corsair, CoolerMaster, ThermalTake, Seasonic, and a bunch of others make very high quality PSUs.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are sending it to the manufacturer and you are under warranty then it will probably be a refurbished PSU but it won't likely be the one you actually mail them.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you are sending it to the manufacturer and you are under warranty then it will probably be a refurbished PSU but it won't likely be the one you actually mail them.
TM is correct on this one! The manufacturer may put in a new PSU, but probably not.

If it's a standard size PSU, because some OEM power supplies are not, if it were me, I would just go get a high quality PSU and bite the bullet on the money spent.

Since all OEM manufacturers put their hardware parts up for bid, ie, lowest price gets the contract one can never expect much from the PSU. Every OEM system I have ever worked on had noisy, hot power supplies.

A very good indicator of a PSU's quality, believe it or not is the weight of it. The heavier the PSU is usually a good indicator of it's quality. It means that better transformers and capacitors along with heavy-duty heat sinks are being used.

Reaction score
Hello pmoon,

Sounds like hardware issues, you will need to physically take out the hardware(e.g. sound cards, tv tuner, etc.) just start system with only the bare motherboard, video, ram and hard drive.

Make sure you have the latest drivers, but not beta drivers.

John M
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question