SOLVED BSOD Help

Shintaro

Reaction score
The fact that you are having trouble making it crash indicates we might have removed one source of crashing.

Reaction score
The fact that you are having trouble making it crash indicates we might have removed one source of crashing.
I agree. Could the verifier be causing the freezes? When I described the freezes and audio static, I don't mean static that you would get from a cellphone and speakers, but more like a disc scratching. The screen also changes to look kind of like the picture I posted earlier just not as much.

Shintaro

Reaction score
No, verifier wouldn't be causing the freezing. Verifier monitors what is going on. If a driver is doing something that it shouldn't, then no matter what, your going to have trouble.

If it is freezing a lot, we can set a registry value and force a crash when it freezes.

Please create a System Restore Point FIRST! There is an Article HERE.

The key sequence Ctrl (Control) + ScrLk (Scroll Lock) will force the crash after the registry value is set and the computer is rebooted.

Please leave Verifier ON.
  1. With PS/2 keyboards, you must enable the keyboard-initiated crash in the registry. In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters, create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll, and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

2. With USB keyboards, you must enable the keyboard-initiated crash in the registry. In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdhid\Parameters, create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll, and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

Reaction score
Did you update the Audio Driver?
Yes I have updated the audio drivers although I dont think it made much of a difference. What is a registry key? I don't think I understand how to do this.
EDIT: I am part way there but when I go to create a value, which one do I choose? (i.e. Binary Value)
EDIT2: Added a picture of what I have (wont save it until you give the ok)

Attachments

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Looks ok

Any further crashes or freezes?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks ok

Any further crashes or freezes?
Yes, it has frozen a few times but no bluescreens. I also have been having some trouble with most of the currently running programs crashing and when I reopen them they don't really work so I have to restart.

Reaction score
Am I supposed to be able to force a crash by pressing Ctrl+ScrollLock? I have tried to and it doesn't work.
EDIT: I figured out how to do it (I just had to hold the right ctrl and hit scroll lock twice) but it does not bring me to a blue screen, only the screen that I put up a picture of before. Could I have made a mistake by creating two values? (As in I did both steps in your earlier directions)

Attachments

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, it appears that this could be RAM related.

Can you please remove the Corsair RAM (2 x 2Gb) and run Memtest 86, then after 8 passes see if Windows Works correctly.

Let us know the results.

Reaction score
Ok, it appears that this could be RAM related.

Can you please remove the Corsair RAM (2 x 2Gb) and run Memtest 86, then after 8 passes see if Windows Works correctly.

Let us know the results.
Ok I removed the Corsair Sticks and ran Memtest for eight passes with zero errors. Without putting the other sticks back in I booted up and upon logging in it froze. I also have not gotten any new bluescreens. I can force the system to crash but it only freezes and does not go to a bluescreen.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

If you press Ctrl + ScrlLck it will generate a crash dump.
Could you please have a look and upload any crash dumps.

Reaction score
OK guys I have an update. It works now and it turns out it was mainly a hardware issue. Before when I knew little about computers (not like I do now) I decided it would be a great idea to overclock my CPU and not moniter any temperatures or anything after. Chances are I must have bdamaged my CPU just like I did with the graphics card. So I asked a friend to take a look at the computer and he suggested that the CPU was the problem so I got a new CPU (only with the guarantee that it could be returned) and plugged it in. Before I could create a bsod by running two games like dark souls and tomb raider. After I replaced the CPU I haven't been able to make a crash (even under the highest loads) like I could before. So it turns out that it was the processor causing the crashes. Now the computer runs like it is supposed to.

Thank you guys for your help so much (especially Shintaro) your helpfulness is appreciated. Processors are tricky (how could my computer even run with a damaged professor?) and I understand you not suggesting to replace it cause it is really expensive. Thank you

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,
That's great news.
Do you have any old crash dumps still on your computer? In particular c:\Windows\Memory.dmp

I would appreciate it if you could zip that file up and put it on rapidfire or the like, if you still have it.

Reaction score
Will do, once I have the chance although I am on vacation right now so I can't till Thursday.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

If you happy, could you mark the thread as Solved please.

Ask a Question