BRAND SPANKING NEW Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 5900 HDD not workin'...

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Today, I went to Fry's and got a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 5900 RPM Hard Drive. I plugged it in as soon as I got home and it didn't show up in 7. I'll see if it wants to work with XP or Ubuntu, but I don't have high hopes. HALP!

Reaction score
Hi BetaMan

Which port did you connect too?
Has this port been enabled in the BIOS?
Also does the Boot Screen or BIOS show the drive?

Reaction score
Go to disk management in Windows7 and assign it a drive letter. Format it to NTFS first if needed.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
1) Check to see if the drive is listed in your BIOS, if yes...
2) Boot into windows and go to Disk Management
3) New disks tend to appear as Not Initialized. Just right-click on the new disk's 'label' (the gray box to the right of the black bar that denotes the unallocated space), and select Initialize.
4) From there you can Format & Partition

Sometimes, your drive won't show up in Disk Management, if not, download and install/run the Seagate DiscWizard from here: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Oh ok, well I was being stupid when I wrote that and didn't look in Disk Management. I found the disk there (just now) and a dialog popped up asking me if I wanted GPT or MBR. I'm thinking GPT as the drive will only be used for storage. So I'll use that and format to NTFS, blah blah blah.

Ask a Question