Boot Times

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The Engineering Windows 7 blog has a great post about the boot time speeds in Windows 7. It looks like a powerful system could be responsive from power on in under 15s!

Startup can be one of three experiences; boot, resume from sleep, or resume from hibernate. Although resume from sleep is the default, and often 2 to 5 seconds based on common hardware and standard software loads, this post is primarily about boot as that experience has been commented on frequently. For Windows 7, a top goal is to significantly increase the number of systems that experience very good boot times. In the lab, a very good system is one that boots in under 15 seconds.
Current Windows Vista boot times are mapped out as follows, and you can see that most systems take around 30-40s to boot.

Attachments

Reaction score
Well my PC doesn't boot that fast, I'd like to know which ones can boot in under 20s :lol:

This one takes about 38 seconds, which I thought was ok compared to my last computer.

Reaction score
I normally put my PC into hibernation mode, so it's only about 10 seconds to resume my windows session. It doesn't take any more power and means you can continue working where you left off :)

Ask a Question