Bluescreens while playing games. Please help! :(

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post :D

Last year in November, I built this Gaming rig, it worked smooth for the first month or so, I overclocked my graphics card, and that's when things started going wrong, I got a bluescreen during a game, I thought nothing of it, and I didn't get another one for a couple of days, so I reset the graphics card to default settings. The bluescreens persisted and I didn't understand what was going on.

I'm not amazing with computers, I just know how to build them. I posted a thread on a different website, I got no responses to my thread. I come here to beg for help, anyone who can help me. I can't barely use this computer for gaming anymore, the rooms gets very hot in a few hours, the temperatures don't seem that bad, though. I can play a game for about 10 minutes before a crash, depending on how graphically intensive it is. I can play Oblivion or Minecraft for 30 mins or so, then a crash, Battlefield 3 just crashes in minutes and youtube videos even seem to crash my computer now, anyone know what's going on?

Graphics driver: Radeon HD 6870
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
PSU: OCZ 700
Windows 7
Any and all feedback is appreciated :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Welcome to the W7 forums.

Please remove:
Asus ATK0110 ACPI Utility. It is known to cause crashes.
AMD Overdrive or EasyTune6 for Gigabyte motherboard

Please update:

AtiPcie.sys Wed May 06 01:00:22 2009
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx
Not sure that you will be able to update that driver as it appears part of the package. And you seem to have the latest drivers.

Obviously if the computer is in a room where it heats up, it not going to be happy with that.
You can use hwMonitor to watch the temp.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Are you using CCC (Catalyst Control Center) for game profiles?

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply :D How exactly do I update AtiPcie? Or are we going to leave that? I've removed AMD Overdrive and Asus ATK 0110 ACPI Utility. :D

Also, the rooms only been heating up for the last few days, and the bsods have become a lot more frequent over the last few days, too.

I just got a message saying my Power Management software is missing? I take it that ATK is the Power management software? Is it safe if I'm missing this piece of software?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I felt like playing Battlefield 3, got on for about 10 minutes, then Blue screened. Here's the dmp.

Edit: After writing this, I went onto youtube, got on a video for about 3 seconds, then it bluescreened, it came up with Asus Express gate when I relaunched, it had Yahoo and a 'Power off' And continue button, I was stuck on this screen so I manually turned my computer off by the switch. I couldn't select Power off. I launched the computer back up, I got to the same screen, but then it carried on to say 'Overclocking Failed!, press f1 to go to setup and rebalance system. Press F2 to reset to default values and continue, I reset default values, I'm sure I'm not overclocking anything, I reset the graphics card to default values ages ago.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
OK, download and re-install Asus ATK0110 ACPI Utility,AMD Overdrive.

Your problem appears to just heat.

Are you monitoring with hwmonitor like I suggested?

Reaction score
Okay, will do, I monitor with Core temp and another program for my graphics card with another program. Wondering if it might be a Ram problem? I haven't done a ram test, I just remembered about that. Maybe one of my sticks of ram is faulty? What do you suggest for heat? I have good fans, corsair fans, they arn't bad fans, and they're definitely working, should I have the side of my case open while I do heavy gaming and maybe put the computer on a desk? It's on a carpet floor right now

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

If the system is overheating then the fans you have are not enough.
The problem is that if you have overheated the computer then permanent damage might have been done.

What has the monitoring software told you about the heat?

Being on the floor is not a good idea. The fans will suck in dust, which get on the hardware causing overheating. You my need to clean the dust out.
But also move it off the floor.

Ask a Question