Hey,
I have this one:
http://www.corsair.com/products/vx/default.aspx

Corsair VX550W Specifications: Model CMPSU-550VX

AC Input Rating 90 - 264VAC
DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5VSB
Max Load 30A 28A 41A 0.8A 3A
Max Output 140W 492W 9.6W 15W TOTAL POWER: 550W

I found it by using the on-line corsair tool to help identify how big a psu you need, and I checked with Gainward and they said minimum 450W.

So if its faulty or just not enable to generate enough I don't know, and I'm not entirely sure its to blame =/

Reaction score
Corsair is a great name, if not the best, in psus.

The rating on it seems to be sufficient as well and can very likely be trusted (others at times can not.)

What you can do if you are up to it....

Connect the video card to its own seperate psu to test how it goes like that. All you'd need to do is put a paperclip to connect two wires in the part of the psu cable that attaches to the motherboard normally - one part of the paperclip in a green wire and the other end of the paperclip in a black one. This is so the psu can be turned on.

Then attach the psu to the video card itself. Turn on the standalone psu and then turn on the pc. See how it goes.

If this experiment goes well and the video card now works, then for sure, buy a new psu to install in the machine.

Further info if interested: http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=268&pgno=0

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey,

It sounds like its worth a shot and who doesn't like the chance of getting electrocuted?! ;-)

I will try it out later and report back with the result (hopefully ;-) )

Reaction score
looking at the pics of your m/b there is a vga port on it ,do you have a second monitor ? if you do put it on the vga and see if it booting there first , so you can get in the bios and look to see if you have PCI boot first set ,if not set it to boot first

btw you will need a PSU with 12v at 50a and 750w to run that card I use the Corsair TX750W to run that card

week a go 50a and 750w to run the card

Reaction score
Hey,

I tried out the tip with little luck although it was fun :D

The psu it tried it with was only a 450 W so it might not have been enough, but the problem with a black screen and a signal to the screen continues =/

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your old GPU requires a single extra power connection doesn't it? But the fermi takes two PCI-e connectors. It is best if those two connectors be on separate wirings directly from the PSU and that nothing else is on either wire chain. Is this how you have them? Does it work if you boot in safe mode?

Also, you are actually swapping out the graphics cards correct? You don't have both the new and old in at the same time?

Reaction score
Hi,

No my old one is really old and doesn't require any PCI-ex connector and yes the new one requires 2. They are on separate wiring directly from the psu and nothing else on either wire chain, exactly like you describe.

Yes I am swapping them out :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
You definitely don't have a psu issue if the experiment didn't cause things to work well. The two power supplys working together to run the system was far more than enough necessary, with respect to total output wattage.

It's good you did the experiment so you could now rule that possibility out.

Have you tried another monitor yet?

Reaction score
I'm just hanging on to the psu thing in the hope of finally having found the cause of the problem ;)

I haven't tried a different monitor, as I don't have spare but I willing to get one if you think that could be it? I ruled it out because it works fine with my old gfx. I just don't get why there is a signal but no picture.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You have a modular PSU right; you only plug in the cables you need?

Well the one I have, the connectors at the PSU are 6 prong as are the PCIe ends and I actually had them in backwards. The one end was a very hard fit but they went in. Even though they went in - they don't work reversed because the wiring's rearranged in the cabling. So maybe you will just laugh but please check. On my cables the end with the PCIe written on the plastic is the end that must be in the graphics card and the blank end goes in the PSU.

So maybe everybody laughs at me or maybe it solves your problem - figured it may be worth mentioning since you said it does work in your buddies machine.

Reaction score
Hey,
No my PSU is non-modular but thanks for the tip I'm sure it can help someone else sometime :)

Reaction score
I really think another monitor is going to sort the issue. Whether that's because of incompatibility issues or the monitor is borked, it's probably going to be one of the two.

I wouldn't go purchasing anything based on that. I would though, find another monitor somehow to use as a temporary test.

Reaction score
Elgardos,
Gainward has also released its Geforce GTX 460 ... and two factory overclocked 1GB GTX 460 cards. The top of the line is the Gainward GTX 460... GTX 460; CUDA; GDDR5; 1024MB; Gainward; 768MB; SLI; PhysX ..they use Direct X 11 have you looked into that as the wrong Direct X can cause the black screen even your monitoer settings also could be configured incorrectly,you get all the sound etc don't you but just cannot see anything on the monitor.

I will email Nvida & gainwood about these GTX Cards as they are new & could have a problem as two models have already been Overclocked which should make it Fly very fast,I will email you as soon as I have something for you that might be the reason.hang in there elgardos,here is the ASUS Motherboard forum about your matter & it could be the reason your having this same error after bootup,M2A-VM is still having the random black screen problem that was supposed to have beek fixed with bios version 1101.

I have updated the bios but the black screen is still there, so it's not fixed....
bios version 1101.

.http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...oard_id=1&model=M2A-VM&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
respectfully
jeffreyobrien.[/quote]I have updated the bios but the black screen is still there, so it's not fixed....
bios version 1101.

I hope that you have put GTX 460 graphics card in when you updated the 1101 bios,gainwood emailed with one possible reason,black screen problem was corrected by that 1101 Bios update for x64 bit system w7.Thats all I can do elgardos.I hope that you eventually have some positive explination for all your going through I do know how frustrating it can be.You are ruling out one thing at a time seems trainman is giving you support & try everything as it can be fixed.
Good luck sorry I couldn't be of more help.
jeffreyobrien

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey all,

Now when I turn of my pc it automatically reboots, I have no experience with that matter, so I'm hoping its caused by the same issue that is causing the black screen and can help identify it.

Reaction score
Hi all,

The rebooting thing was caused by my motherboard which I got exchanged.

The not showing boot sequence was caused by my monitor as suggested :)

Now I have a minor issue with my cpu fan going full speed all the time even though its not needed, but still my pc is finally working :D

Thanks for the help all! :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Check the BIOS setting in the motherboard and see if your fan is set to "Full" in the Power Management section.

If it has a "PWM" or "AUTO" setting use that instead.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hey all,

Now when I turn of my pc it automatically reboots, I have no experience with that matter, so I'm hoping its caused by the same issue that is causing the black screen and can help identify it.
This is happening with my new build too. I hope it's not the mobo. I'll get in to the bios later this weekend and see what's up.

Reaction score
Check the BIOS setting in the motherboard and see if your fan is set to "Full" in the Power Management section.

If it has a "PWM" or "AUTO" setting use that instead.
It worked! :) Many thanks!

So now my pc finally works :)

Had bad ram first, then a bad motherboard and then a bad monitor (the two first parts were brand new). Was a long way and I couldn't have done it without all of your advice so thank you!

Ask a Question