SOLVED Black Screen until Windows loads

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a very annoying problem and I just cant seem to get rid of it, so I'm here asking the experts hoping my luck will change :)

The problem is that I cant see anything on my monitor before it loads Windows 7, its just plain black. I can hear my system booting and going through the process I just cant see it. Trying to enter the Bios doesn't work either, I know its entering the Bios but I cant see it.

I tried to change my graphic card to my old one and with that I can see the boot up sequence just fine. My current graphic card is a geforce 460gtx and my old one is a geforce 9600gt.

My current computer is all new, and I didn't have the problem at first. I started when I found out that I had some faulty RAM. In the process of finding this out I had the faulty piece of RAM in for testing purposes and then the boot sequence was suddenly hidden and it has been like that ever since, even when I took out the RAM and replaced it.

Any help is much appreciated and if you need more information just ask :)

note: English is not my native language so I'm sure there is a lot of errors so just ask if you cant understand me :)

Reaction score
Make sure you have the latest drivers for your gtx460. You didn't specify whether you have 32 or 64-bit W7 but you need to choose the right one.
NVidia
Welcome to w7 Forums,I have only one thing to add also after you have checked the driver (ie) update it to the correct one as well update your systems bios sometimes Nvida can be hard to get it running properly especially as you have said that you recently changed the card.I would cover all the bases especially then check boot sequence and default everything else to F9.Good luck and I hope you get as much help & information knowledge from here as you need to get you up and running Black screen problem with Nvida is usually driver being installed but not re booted sometimes they even require being setup manually check out website for your GTX460.

regards
Jeffreyobrien

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It seems your graphics adapter is not working in alphanumeric mode .In view of you comments, I would guess this is not neccessarily a fault in the graphics card, but associated with the memory. When you switch on your PC, the bios is controlling the graphics. But, if it is not finding sufficient ram at that stage, it could well produce the result you are experiencing..
Is it a "shared ram" graphics card? Possibly your old card is not so demanding?
I would, in the first instance, unplug everything which can be accessing the ram (memory), and try restarting. If that fails, try reseating the ram and graphics card - even try the old ram (faulty) again.
Lastly, with your old card installed, enter the bios and see if there is an option to switch on/off the vga graphics on boot up. If so, turn it on.
fwiw. The Msconfig does not get read until the initial boot of Windows. As your problem is occuring before this, I doubt that is part of the problem. But, should you try it, it is not necessary to open a command prompt to access msconfig.- it can be accessed normally through the Start or "run"

Final point added. Just read your op again. As the computer is new, why not use the guarantee with the seller, if all else fails.?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just want to thank you all for your inputs! I'm trying them out and will let you know of any progress I find.
I'm using the 64bit windows 7 for the record, I reinstalled the driver for the graphics card and checked the boot tab by msconfig, but so far no luck.

I will try the other advices as soon as I get the time :)

Thanks again!

Reaction score
elgardos,
seems like you have a very strange problem what PC is this installed on and what is the ram for graphics card or is it on the board.let me know if you try everyones advice & still see the Black screen I might be able to find some help way over here in Sydney Australia.Have you checked that your system has a X64bit bios on it installed correctly.just a thought?
regards
jeffreyobrien

Reaction score
Just wanted to provide you with the system specifications, they might help:

System specs:

Motherboard:
ASUS P5P43TD USB3

CPU:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz Socket 775 1333MHz

RAM:
Corsair XMS3 4x 2048mB DDR3,
PC3-10666, 1333MHz, CAS 9-9-9-24, For Intel i5 / i7

Graphic card:
Gainward GeForce GTX 460 1GB PhysX CUDA

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"Have you checked that your system has a X64bit bios on it installed correctly.just a thought?"
That is an interesting comment??
I have updatewd many bios's during my time, but did not know there was such a thing as 64 or 32 bit bios (or have I misunderstood).
I have always worked on the assumption that bios software was specific to designated motherboards, be they 64 bit or 32bit. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Reaction score
"Have you checked that your system has a X64bit bios on it installed correctly.just a thought?"
I have updated many bios's during my time, but did not know there was such a thing as 64 or 32 bit bios (or have I misunderstood).
I have always worked on the assumption that bios software was specific to designated motherboards, be they 64 bit or 32bit. Am I wrong?
YES you are wrong in only one point, with Hewlett & packard released PC.s with 32 bit Home premium when I had to upgrade it,first thing I was given from HP was the correct X64 bit Bios.I was suprised too Hewlett & Packard burned the disc and sent me the right Bios because it was built with a 32 bit bios & I wanted X64 bit for my copy of RTM Ultimate,it was then I called HP & they explained the reason to me. They STATED: we purchase our Bios from Phoneix & they (HP) Flash & Alter their Bios for reasons of what I have explained email HP ask them about CQ61-212TU X64 bit Notebooks.First thing they will tell you is its Only a 32bit built PC to do what I wanted to do HP had to Alter,flash,burn that Differentiated Bios to be compatible to be able to Install X64 Bit w7 RTM Ultimate onto my Notebook I am using it now.

Most companies flash their own Bios made from all the Bios manufactures davehc you knew that,for anyone else yes the Bios makes all the difference try installing w7X64 using a 32 bit bios see what becomes of it.On a HP CQ Series Notebook,I did and had NO CHOICE but to upgrade the Bios from 32bit to X64bit.
Elgardos,
Gainward has also released its Geforce GTX 460 ... and two factory overclocked 1GB GTX 460 cards. The top of the line is the Gainward GTX 460... GTX 460; CUDA; GDDR5; 1024MB; Gainward; 768MB; SLI; PhysX ..they use Direct X 11 have you looked into that as the wrong Direct X can cause the black screen even your monitoer settings also could be configured incorrectly,you get all the sound etc don't you but just cannot see anything on the monitor.

I will email Nvida & gainwood about these GTX Cards as they are new & could have a problem as two models have already been Overclocked which should make it Fly very fast,I will email you as soon as I have something for you that might be the reason.hang in there elgardos,here is the ASUS Motherboard forum about your matter & it could be the reason your having this same error after bootup,M2A-VM is still having the random black screen problem that was supposed to have beek fixed with bios version 1101.

I have updated the bios but the black screen is still there, so it's not fixed....
bios version 1101.

.http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...oard_id=1&model=M2A-VM&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
respectfully
jeffreyobrien.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey again,

I checked the directx version and it is direct x 11.

The graphic card is the following:
http://www.gainward.com/main/edm/GTX460/gw_edm_GTX460.html
Gainward GeForce GTX 460 “Golden Sample-Goes Like Hell” (GS-GLH)

Thx for all the help!

I am still working my way through your advices but so far little luck, I might just hand it in today and see if they cant fix it, but tips are still welcome as they could ease the process along :)

Reaction score
I have updatewd many bios's during my time, but did not know there was such a thing as 64 or 32 bit bios (or have I misunderstood).
I'm with you davehc on this one. Could it be someone is starting a line of BS? Motherboards either support 64-bit or they don't. I have never seen manufacturers differentiate their BIOS updates as a 32-bit or 64-bit version.

Reaction score
looking at the pics of your m/b there is a vga port on it ,do you have a second monitor ? if you do put it on the vga and see if it booting there first , so you can get in the bios and look to see if you have PCI boot first set ,if not set it to boot first

btw you will need a PSU with 12v at 50a and 750w to run that card I use the Corsair TX750W to run that card

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
onboard vga is disabled if you install a video card.

If you meant other ports on the GTX460, then yes those should be able to output to additional monitors.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It has xtra ports for VGA output. Presumably not disabled? But, looking back at the op, I doubt the graphics card insertion, would disable the ability to see the bios screen.

Sorry Jeffrey, but your first para makes no sense to me.

Quote "YES with Hewlett & packard released PC.s with 32 bit Home premium when I had to upgrade it,first thing I was given from HP was the correct X64 bit Bios.Most companies flash their own Bios made from all the Bios manufactures davehc you knew that,for anyone else yes the Bios makes all the difference try installing w7X64 using a 32 bit bios see what becomes of it.On a HP CQ Series Notebook,I did and had NO CHOICE but to upgrade the Bios from 32bit to X64bit".

The bios is selected according to the model of the motherboard. If the motherboard is 64Bit or 32Bit, it would make no difference, you would only be offered one bios software flash, for that model. If you had a specific 32 Bit motherboard, and flashed it with bios designed for 64 Bit, then of course it would fail, as it was the wrong bios anyway. But I am still interested, and also on thread, as it may lead the op into dangerous waters. Could you give a link to something on HP's pages describing this?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I know there are 32-bit modes and 64-bit modes for installing a BIOS but I've read you are best using DOS mode to avoid bricking your motherboard. I have not heard that the BIOS installed is actually different. I, too, would like to see the source on this - I like to keep abreast of computer trends.

Reaction score
I'm with you davehc on this one. Could it be someone is starting a line of BS? Motherboards either support 64-bit or they don't. I have never seen manufacturers differentiate their BIOS updates as a 32-bit or 64-bit version.
I have never seen manufacturers differentiate their BIOS updates as a 32-bit or 64-bit version.[GREAT here is your chance to put your money against your knowledge,I will bet you $20K USD that Hewlett & Packard flash and alter their X64 & 32 bit BIOS,purchased from ALL the BIOS COMPANIES.That's my reply to your comment (Without Malice of course)my answers are for helping members NOT to sort out who has more Knowledge or WHO is WRONG or RIGHT the main thing here was to help people not debate it here

regards
jeffreyobrien

Reaction score
Perhaps you can give a link showing both 32-bit and 64-bit BIOS updates. Then we will know its not the windows installer you are referring too.

Reaction score
Clifford,
as per your request I have gone further than providing a Link to Hewlett & Packard.I have emailed the HP employee that actually Educated me about the changes they (HP) make to their Purchased Bios chips,win-flash utility, etc.Here is a copy of what I emailed to him.

Hewlett & Packard at present I have no technical problems I need support about my post at w7 forum about changing the Bios F 12A off my 32 bit built PC & installing the Flashed B-21 altered & flashed Bios that you (HP) made to suit my built 32 bit CQ61 Series model you built in 2009.

I told w7 forums that when I purchased my 32bit PC I wanted to install RTM Ultimate x64 bit onto my CQ61-212TU 32 bit series notebook,I informed the forum that HP flash & alter the Bios to suit the model,they have mentioned to me that NO COMPANY DOES THIS.They have never heard of this before.

I was sent a x64 bit bios from Sanjeev.P from Hewlett & Packard & it worked very well allowing me to Format & re install win 7 X64 bit.Only after the 32bit bios F.12A was removed & replaced with B-21 (x64)Flashed which I have been asked to show that this was the case.Especially with way Hewlett & Packard changed the Bios so it would allow a X64 bit install onto a 32bit built system.

I am fully very happy after my changes were done to meet warranty.My system works very well HP & I appreciated the support during the release of win7,I am now waiting for your reply to re post here at win 7 forum.I would Like to show that what I was explaining this is the case,as it appears some members disagree with me.

HP Intel-powered Notebook System Win Flash BIOS F.21 Rev.A description,win-flashed locally modify BIOS with firmware support to run X64 Vista however it wont run win 7 x64.

This package contains the Win Flash Utility and a System BIOS image for the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems. The Win Flash Utility is used to locally flash the System BIOS (ROM) on notebooks/laptops operating in a Microsoft Windows Vista environment.

2009-12-15 , Version:F.21 A, 2.07MB
2009-09-30 , Version:F.13 A, 2.07MB
2009-09-02 , Version:F.11 A, 2.9MB

PRODUCT MODEL(S): CQ61-212TU
VJ98PA # ABC
Welcome to the HP Support community! Here you'll find great solutions,advice and how-to's, friends and discussions on printer, notebook, and ... CQ61212TU
Clifford this is all I can arrange on Sunday arvo here in Sydney,hence when HP open in morning I will call Sanjeev.P request his email reply for you then I will post it here for everyone to read.I hope that this helps you understand.

This will be my last comment regarding this part of my HELP given to this Black Screen issue.I will keep searching for his answer until someone finds the reason for his Issue.I have emailed his PC Maker,requesting all information regarding his problem,also emailed Nvidia about his graphics card.I hope this gets everyone up to speed.
Released:
2009-12-15Version:
F.21 ACompatibility:
Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (64-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Business (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit), FreeDOS
2009-12-15 , Version:F.21 A, 2.07MThis package contains the Win Flash Utility and a System BIOS image for the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems. The Win Flash Utility is used to locally flash the System BIOS (ROM) on notebooks/laptops operating in a Microsoft Windows Operating System environment.2009-12-15 , Version:F.21 A, 2.07MThis package contains the Win Flash Utility and a System BIOS image for the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems. The Win Flash Utility is used to locally flash the System BIOS (ROM) on notebooks/laptops operating in a Microsoft Windows Operating System environment.

2009-12-15 , Version:F.21 A, 2.07MThis package contains the Win Flash Utility and a System BIOS image for the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems. The Win Flash Utility is used to locally flash the System BIOS (ROM) on notebooks/laptops operating in a Microsoft Windows Operating System environment.

» Win Flash Utility for HP Notebook System BIOS (for Notebooks with Intel Processors)2009-12-15 , Version:F.21 A, 2.07MThis package contains the Win Flash Utility and a System BIOS image for the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems. The Win Flash Utility is used to locally flash the System BIOS (ROM) on notebooks/laptops operating in a Microsoft Windows Operating System environment.More info
2009-12-15 , Version:F.21 A, 2.07MThis package contains the WinFlash Utility and a System BIOS image for the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems. The WinFlash Utility is used to locally flash the System BIOS (ROM) on notebooks/laptops operating in a Microsoft Windows Operating System environment.

respectfully
jeffreyobrien

Reaction score
Hey all and thx for all your posts! :)

My problem has somewhat changed now:

I got all new RAM in which are working perfectly. I then decided to use my old gfx-card to reinstall win7 just in case. It works fine and I have no trouble at all using this set-up.

As soon as I put back in the gtx 460 my trouble starts and I now I just constantly have a black screen. There is a signal to the monitor and the pc boots as normal, but I cant see anything. At times it will display the boot sequence or windows load for a few seconds but then goes dark again.

I have tried my gtx 460 in a friends computer and there it seems to be running smoothly, so I doubt its to blame. I'm thinking it might be the psu because the old card, that works fine require less power to run.

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome :)

Ask a Question