SOLVED BING!

Reaction score
I CAN NOT make it go away. I'm not great with computers either...
It's one of my search providers. I have IE and I use google but it still is in my search bar and occasionally it uses it. I've disabled it in ad ons. It's not listed in programs as Bing or search bar. I have been to my files and deleted things that said tool bar platform by msn. I'd really love to see it GONE! I didn't ask for it that I know of.
I appreciate any help with this,
Angel

Reaction score
Look for the option to make Google your default search. Check and see if there is an option when you manage your search engines. There should be a little drop down arrow next to the magnifier. See if you have an option to manage or add search providers from the drop down list.

Reaction score
O.k. There is a drop down box and when I hit add it takes me to a page explaing ad ons.
I have I.E. as my default search. If I change it ti Google Bing will go away?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have I.E. as my default search.
IE is a browser, not search.

In IE, click on Tools > Manage Add-ons > Search Providers, then highlight Bing and click on Remove in the lower right corner.

Reaction score
Ooops.
Well, I did what you said but remove won't light up. I did disable it the other day though. No luck when I hit remove and no option when I right click on it either.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you take a screenshot so I can see where this search item is located? Are you sure it isn't a bing toolbar? I know Microsoft tried at least twice to slip that crap in with my recommended updates. If it is a Bing toolbar then it should be removable in programs and features..

To prevent recommended updates from slipping in with critical updates be sure to uncheck the box in windows updates settings:
WinUpdateSettings.jpg

Reaction score
In IE, click on Tools > Manage Add-ons > Search Providers, then highlight Google and click on "Set as default" in the lower right corner.

If you don't have Google as an option select a different provider that you have installed or install one first.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Clifford is right. I think Bing is set as your default and once Bing is not your default (by setting the default to Google, etc as suggested) then you should be able to remove Bing from the list of Search providers.

Reaction score
Here's what I did.
I down loaded Google and when it ask did I still want to use bing I did not check the box. I now have google in my programs again. However, the only thing it did was move Bing over a space! I see something in manage ad ons that says toolbar bho. I can not get rid of it either. Read somewhere that is bing.
I'll never buy or take for free anything they ever have to offer.

Reaction score
The set as default and remove buttons do not work. They are light grey. Google is set as my default. Bing shows it is disabled but it is not. I will be searching and from time to time, it will be bing instead of google.

Reaction score
YES!!!
I looked up and recognized my google tool bar! BING IS GONE!!!
I guess somehow bing replaced my google. Not sure at all how. But down loading google again must have done the trick.
I really appreciate you all helping me though.
One last question, Did I get the screen shot right?

Reaction score
I'm glad you got it sorted. :)

And thanks for posting back with a happy conclusion.

Ohh and your screenshot was perfectly fine. However vacation pictures are welcome to. lol

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes you got the screenshot right.

By the way, many companies offer toolbars (BHO: Browser Helper Object), not just Bing.

You have to be ever vigilant especially when installing Freeware because so often they try to slip in Toolbars for which they make a little money. Some viruses utilize toolbars as well, and on the other side of the coin, your anti-virus probably uses a toolbar to monitor and combat some types of viruses.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You have to be ever vigilant especially when installing Freeware because so often they try to slip in Toolbars for which they make a little money.
When installing any software not just freeware - though certainly freeware uses these methods often.

Therefore, ALWAYS, as in EVERY SINGLE TIME you install any program, select the custom install option instead of the default. The custom option typically gives you the option to chose where to install the program (on D drive, for example), and "should" provide the option to "opt-out" of any extras, like toolbars, update/download managers, and other "fluff" (bloat) the developers want to "foist" on our systems.

IF the program does not give you the option to opt-out of unwanted options, cancel the installation and pick an alternative program.

BTW, these add-ons typically are not malicious but as noted, a method the developers can get some compensation for their hard work. The problem is, these programs are typically not needed, often cause conflicts, and they often needlessly eat up resources (disk space, RAM and CPU clock cycles).

Reaction score
O.K. then. I'll see how I'm set up with my updates and keep my eyes open now that I know a little bit about what can happen.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
O.K. then. I'll see how I'm set up with my updates
The problem is, you have to check each time as the installation routines used by various programs are different, and often change. And unfortunately, you cannot tell Windows to always use the custom install with every new program.

The fact of the matter is, even when choosing custom install, you will typically click OK through the process accepting most of the defaults anyway. You just need to carefully read each page to make sure there is not some option pre-selected you don't need or want.

Fortunately, most users are not downloading and installing new programs multiple times a day, day in and day out. So it is a tiny annoyance, not a big deal.

Reaction score
Thought I would update ya' ll.
I am on my son' s Kindle. I Got a virus and it affected my Windows. Looks like it will have to be restored to the way I bought it.(sigh)
For the record, I am still happy that Bing is no longer on my toolbar.
No matter the cost...
:D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Remember as soon as you restore to set the Windows Update settings so recommended are NOT treated the same as Critical.

Ask a Question