New Monitor & Bing on Windows 7 x64

Reaction score
I recently switched from a old Dell regular lcd montor to a new Viewsonic wide screen lcd monitor. On the Dell montor the image on Bing's search page filled the whole page. Since switching to the new wide screen led lcd monitor the image doesn't fill the whole page anymore. Why is that ? My monitor settings are set correctly at 1920 x 1080 which is the recommended settings for it.

Attachments

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
That's just the way the website was made. For the background image thing to work, they can't have it scaling. It would look good anyways ;)

I'm a web dev, and I can tell you, scalable websites:
1. Are a PITA to make.
2. Look aweful.
3. Scale badly :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's not the way it looked on old monitor

That's not the way it looked on my old Dell 4.3 15" LCD. The gray color wasn't there, only the Bing page picture that's changed daily was there before. That really makes no sense to me considering wide screen lcd's were available and widely used before Bing existed.
That's just the way the website was made. For the background image thing to work, they can't have it scaling. It would look good anyways ;)

I'm a web dev, and I can tell you, scalable websites:
1. Are a PITA to make.
2. Look aweful.
3. Scale badly :p

Reaction score
I agree with Fire Cat. I also do some web designing and the sizing issue is definitely on Bing's end, as my monitor resolution is less than yours (1366 x 768) and the Bing site has the same gray margins on both sides of the search image. I have seen other sites that do not display properly, so this isn't an isolated incident. It IS a reflection of mediocrity in site management.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah probably MS had a Vista moment

Yeah, on my Dell 15" LCD at 1024 x 768 the image filled the whole page. Maybe the Bing team had a Vista moment on this one. Though, I did like Vista better than XP. More Secure definitely.
I agree with Fire Cat. I also do some web designing and the sizing issue is definitely on Bing's end, as my monitor resolution is less than yours (1366 x 768) and the Bing site has the same gray margins on both sides of the search image. I have seen other sites that do not display properly, so this isn't an isolated incident. It IS a reflection of mediocrity in site management.

Reaction score
Center Mouse wheel now won't scroll in IE either

Hey TorrentG my center mouse wheel stopped scrolling in IE, too. It worked 2 hours ago. I've got the correct driver according to Microsoft IntelliPoint 8.0 x64 for the first series of the wireless Optical Desktop. We're talking 2005 version.
Is your zoom level in I.E. set to 100%?

Reaction score
Fixed mouse issue

Mouse issue was solved.
Hey TorrentG my center mouse wheel stopped scrolling in IE, too. It worked 2 hours ago. I've got the correct driver according to Microsoft IntelliPoint 8.0 x64 for the first series of the wireless Optical Desktop. We're talking 2005 version.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your old screen resolution was probably smaller than 955x600 which is about the size of their image, now your screen is bigger so the image is surrounded by the web pages gray background. On my 2048x1152 display I see huge amounts of gray around the pic.

Reaction score
Nah

My old monitor was set to 1024 x 768 and the image filled the whole area of the Bing page.
Your old screen resolution was probably smaller than 955x600 which is about the size of their image, now your screen is bigger so the image is surrounded by the web pages gray background. On my 2048x1152 display I see huge amounts of gray around the pic.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, it has nothing to do with IE. I can tell you that ;)

And I'm sorry, but you can't do anything about it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And I'm sorry, but you can't do anything about it.
Well that's not exactly accurate (though it's true you can't force a change at Bing's end); you can set your zoom to about 150% and it will fill more of the screen or you can switch to yahoo or google. Me personally I use msn.com as my homepage - this is the bing engine but with news etc splattered all over the page instead of an undersized landscape photo.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes... But that then zooms everything. Images and websites look bad when zoomed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, he can run his monitor at a lower resolution so it just fits! I hardly find that a better solution, do you? I'd say get used to it! But I'm just offering other options.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, he can run his monitor at a lower resolution so it just fits! I hardly find that a better solution, do you? I'd say get used to it! But I'm just offering other options.
Now that's how I think :p !

Ask a Question