Beware of rogue Microsoft Security Essentials

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
From the Windows Advisor 5/3/2010
Microsoft Security Essentials is a free anti-virus and anti-spyware software available from Microsoft, which includes some of the features of Windows Defender, and is designed solely for use by home PC users. Now it seems, hackers are trying to ride on the back of the Microsoft brand by releasing a rogue version of Security Essentials, designed to implant malicious software on to the PC of any user who downloads it. The rogue version, called Security Essentials 2010, also installs a fake virus scanner on infected PCs, and blocks programs from running that might be used to remove it. It also blocks access to the websites of many security and anti-virus companies. The fake virus scanner will keep popping up messages telling you that you are infected, and change your desktop background to a green and black warning message.

Security Essentials 2010 makes use of one of the virus writers oldest tricks – naming their malicious software after a much more famous legitimate product, in order to try and fool users into thinking it is the genuine article. If you see a site offering Security Essentials 2010, then avoid it. The only legitimate version of Security Essentials is produced by Microsoft.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I wonder if this is related to that Internet Security 2010 trojan that went around...that thing was the nastiest infection I've ever seen.

Reaction score
I wonder if this is related to that Internet Security 2010 trojan that went around...that thing was the nastiest infection I've ever seen.

The worst that I ever saw was a boil on my backside.:eek::eek:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The bad guys never seem to give up, do they? They go to the extremes to write malicious code. That's why I'm running two AV's (MSE and Avast 5.0) together, and have Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware as on demand scanners. So far, running two AV's have had no negative effects on my computer.

Ask a Question