Best free Anti-Virus programs

Reaction score
What are the best Free Anti Virus Out There> Do they even compare to the purchased ones, I have Avg. 9.0 and Anti-Malware?

Leaderman

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I agree with Clifford. I myself use Avast and scan weekly with malwarebytes. Granted I don't visit any shady sites, I never had any issues, so far.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I use Avira free on my main machine. Just 1 pop up a day when it updates definitions. I use MSE on XP and a second W7 machine.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
For me, it's a toss between Microsoft Security Essentials, and Symantec Antivirus (corporate edition; I do not mean the convoluted Norton products). Originally, I was extremely skeptical of Security Essentials, I found it hard to believe Microsoft could be trusted with anything having to do with security, much less an antivirus program, since antiviral tools need regular and frequent updating. However, after doing some research, much to my surprise - and chagrin - MSE scores really well compared to most commercial products. It's just as effective as Symantec products in detecting viruses, and in my opinion MSE has a lightest footprint of all antivirus products I've used so far.

I'd recommend MSE coupled with Malwarebytes.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Comodo now has a FREE internet security suite out for several weeks. I have installed it on several clients computers who were financially strapped at the time.

I have contacted them each a coupe of times and asked if there were having any issues or problems, they all replied that they really liked it. It does do a lot of pop-up questions at first, such as: Do you want this? Do you want this to connect to Internet?, etc.

On the whole it seems pretty decent though. Check it below:

Comodo AntiVirus now even better – Comodo Internet Security

Comodo AntiVirus is now part of Comodo Internet Security suite

Comodo Internet Security = Comodo AntiVirus + Comodo Firewall
Comodo Internet Security has all the functionality of a paid AV without the price. It eliminates ALL known Viruses, Worms and Trojans from desktops and networks with no license fees or hidden costs.

Block Viruses from infecting your PC – Free Forever

• Detects, blocks and eliminates viruses from desktops and networks
  • Constantly protects with real-time On Access scanning
  • Built in scheduler allows you to run scans at a time that suits you
  • Isolates suspicious files in quarantine preventing infection
  • Daily, automatic updates of virus definitions
  • Simple to use: install and forget while CIS protects you in the background
FREE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE - NO LICENSE FEES EVER

Comodo Internet Security is the all-in-one security software that keeps your computer completely safe from viruses and internet threats. The software is free for life and incorporates Comodo Firewall and Comodo Antivirus. If required, either product can be installed individually during setup.

Download our free Firewall and Antivirus to take the first step in protecting your PC from malware, viruses, worms, and more.

What's new in this version?
Comodo Internet Security 4.0 includes a built-in sandbox which combines file system/registry virtualization and least-privileged user account principle in order to combat unknown malware.

Release Notes:
Release Date: April 12, 2010
Update: Please see latest release notes.

Installation Options:
During the setup process you will be given the choice to:

• Install the Antivirus as a standalone
  • Install the Firewall as a standalone
  • Install both Firewall and Antivirus

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm happy with MSE, along with Malwarebytes as a backup. Also, there's a free, updated tool that we all receive each month. It is said to run in the background, but you can run it manually by typing in the Start Menu "mrt" w/o the quotes. It's the Malicious Software Tool that's updated monthly. You can do a short or long scan with it.

MSE has really gained ground over the few months that it has been on the market. It's lightweight and effective. And don't let that Windows Defender look fool you, it's a potent AV & malware system. On my notebook, it intercepted a trojan horse a few nights ago, and only by looking at the history did I notice it also caught one on my desktop. The one on my notebook was severe, the one on my desktop was the next level down. So it's doing it's job.

I still can't get over that Windows7Guy for recommending Spybot & AVG on a USB drive, when the member clearly had a problem. If it was a rookie recommending it, I'd cut some slack. But this dude works for MS, for crying out loud, I expect better than that from a MS employee.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I'm just happy that everyone else on this thread is happy! LOL!

:dancing2:

Here's the latest AV Comparisons from May of this year from: www.av-comparatives.org

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I use Kaspersky on my main machine at the moment (simply because of the bundled firewall and some extra features), however I'd agree that MSE and Avira are very good choices for home users. I usually install one of these on my parents/friends PC's when asked for advice. :)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Since Win7 went final last year, I migrated all my systems to MSE and have absolutely no regrets. Independent testing at the major certification labs has proven MSE is just as capable, and more so in many areas, as ALL the others, free or paid. So providing the expected protection is not an issue with MSE. Therefore, it comes downs to ease of use.

What I really like about MSE is (1) no bloat - it does not hog system resources in terms of CPU cycles, RAM or disk space. (2) The installation routine does not try to "foist" a bunch of unwanted, often intrusive programs (or toolbars) onto my drive. (3) Simple to use - no extra "features" I don't need.

I also use Windows Firewall and IE8 and I keep my systems patched and updated with the latest security updates. And all my systems are behind a router. I run MBAM for supplemental/manual scans, and so far, every scan has been clean.

It is important to note that Microsoft tried to get into the anti-malware business with XP but Norton, McAfee, CA, and the other big AV makers went crying to Congress and the EU complaining that MS was trying rule the world and push them out of business. They claimed it was their job to rid the world of malware. We see how well that went! :( But Congress and the EU were out to ensure MS did not create a monopoly so they blocked Microsoft's efforts to make XP more secure! Microsoft's mistake was they tried to integrate the AV into the OS, instead of offering it on the side as they do now with MSE.

What is important to remember is that Symantec/Norton, McAfee, CA, Trend Micro, and all these for-profit anti-malware makers have absolutely ZERO incentive to rid the world of malware! If there were no malware, they would go out of business.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has a HUGE incentive to rid the world of malware! Malware is caused by badguys free to do what they want because our elected officials (to include Congress, the EU, and the UN) refuse to fund to enforce even the existing laws. Yet, Microsoft bashers and the biased IT media (and in turn, naive users) constantly blame Microsoft and they, rightfully so, are tired of being blamed for a situation they did not create.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I agree with every word of your post, Digerati. The AV industry is a large, thriving one, and they don't want MSE incorporated into the OS. However, it's all right for the OEM's to include worthless "bloatware", including the time limited AV of their choice (usually Norton or McAfee).

And secondly, since the AV industry is huge, they have no interest in eradicating viruses and malware from the world. In fact, the more that's written, the more that the AV industry loves it. It would be my guess that the AV industry claims these jobs pour a lot of money into the economy. But many of them are created in Europe, not the US. I'm not blasting the world economy, but when these groups goes to Washington to push the issue, and succeed, the US workers comes up with the short end of the stick. The EU protects their own, which I understand and respect, but their gain is our loss, because the playing field is not level. Much as it is with China and the Far East. More cash flows out of the US than is flowed in by a huge margin.

While the AV industry isn't the entire cause of the trade deficit, it's the leading cause within the AV industry, and adds to the list of the imbalances that is destroying the US economy. Not allowing MSE to be included with Windows systems sold within the US is a travesty, and these "backroom deals" that's destroying our economy needs to be stopped. The EU and other parts of the world looks out after their own, and that's fine. The US needs to be allowed to do the same, it's as simple as that, or it will face certain bankruptcy in the future.

Cat

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Microsoft's Malicious Software Tool is a tool that many don't use and some are not aware its a system scanner that can scan your complete system, as Cat says its updated each month and is another handy tool in the fight against the bad guys.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Right-click on your desktop and select New > Shortcut and type 'mrt' in the text box and Windows will create a little scrubbrush and bubbly monitor shortcut on your desktop for you. From there, you can pin it or drag it to your Taskbar, Start Menu, Quick Launch (if like me, you enabled it) or wherever you like. And I note since updates come through Windows Update, they can be pushed out ahead of scheduled, if need be. That said, it is important to emphasize this is not an anti-virus program. As noted by Microsoft (my bold),
The Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool does not replace an antivirus product. It is strictly a post-infection removal tool. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you install and use an up-to-date antivirus product.
Even though I practice safe computing and therefore plan on NEVER needing a "post" infection removal tool, I keep it handy and I think it should be a ready part in everyone's arsenal against malware.

Ask a Question