Best Free Anitivirus

dax

Reaction score
Right now I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and it works pretty good.

Is there any Antivirus that is free and better than MSE?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
As the link's article states, Avast Free Antivirus is the best. Rock solid and uses very little resources.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
The best things about MSE are that it is very light on resources and I've never seen it involved in conflicts (bsods) which is probably because it is made by Microsoft.
They are hardly likely to rush out/release a product that is going to kill their own systems. Unless you have a specific dislike or want a feature not available in MSE I'd stick with it.

Says the man that uses Nod32 AV! If I couldn't afford to re-licence though I'd be installing MSE as Nods replacement.

A little saying springs to mind. "Better the devil you know....".

Always remember the only real security is the person tapping the keyboard.

Reaction score
Not everybody can run MSE according to other forums I use. When its installed on a Laptop that is not left On, it has to be updated manually. Avira is programmable and updates that are missed due to being OFF will run at startup. Avast is preset to update every 4 hours.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I like Avast Free. Reason? It does a darn good job and is very unobtrusive.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Not everybody can run MSE according to other forums I use. When its installed on a Laptop that is not left On, it has to be updated manually. Avira is programmable and updates that are missed due to being OFF will run at startup. Avast is preset to update every 4 hours.
I don't see where that's coming from. We turn off our laptop everyday and I never have to manually update MSE. I never get the orange icon that requires attention.
Don't believe everything you read on forums. Except this one that is.:D

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I personally use and reccommend Avast but MSE is pretty darn nice too. I've never had an issue with either when it came to updating

Reaction score
MSE is unobtrusive and I haven't experienced conflicts as I have with other free AV's.

Reaction score
A lot of sites are present these days who offer free download.
So try your luck with Google as many of them are listed online.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question