Best anti-virus for Windows 7

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
My final post for this thread... I hope!!

Arguing about AV and antispyware and malware programs is like arguing about one's religion. Too many opinions. It just goes on "ad infinitum, ad nauseum".

Now my two cents: Avira and ESET are rated tops... period. Avira is number one and ESET is about number three. I like ESET Smart Security because it's an all inclusive package and uses very little resources, plus it just sits in the background and does its thing very nicely.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
My final post for this thread... I hope!!

Arguing about AV and antispyware and malware programs is like arguing about one's religion. Too many opinions. It just goes on "ad infinitum, ad nauseum".

Now my two cents: Avira and ESET are rated tops... period. Avira is number one and ESET is about number three. I like ESET Smart Security because it's an all inclusive package and uses very little resources, plus it just sits in the background and does its thing very nicely.
That's what Avast 5.0 & MSE together does, except for Avast updating, you hardly know they're around. Doesn't slow me a bit. And the cost: $0!

Reaction score
The only problem with KIS 2010 is that it demands system resources.It gives incredible security but eats up your PC :|.Thats why i didnt bought it .I am a regular user of hypervisors and am a gamer too.So i need my system cycles when i need them :)

I've not noticed any degradation of system performance at all. Having said that I don't game.

Mike

Reaction score
Best antivirus

Kaspersky is best antivirus for Windows 7. It has an amazing track record for virus detection without slowing the system.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I never see Ca Internet Security Suite mentioned here. How come? I've been using them with no problem.
I ran it for a while on XP. Back then it was for pay. Still is I think. Some of the free apps consistently out perform it these days according many reports I've read.

Reaction score
I never see Ca Internet Security Suite mentioned here. How come? I've been using them with no problem.
Before Ca, here in Australia there was a very good program called VET. I think (could be wrong) that it was Aussie design, worked very well with a customer service centre you could actually speak to with an Australian phone number.

They later notified their registered customers (being registered used to give you down loadable updates in addition to having a CD posted out) that they were joining up with Ca.

Ca was/is American, customer service went to hell and the final straw for me was when I got a virus that Ca failed to fix.

Tried Bitdefender, worked ok but again customer service was rubbish (read non-existent).Went to AVG and later Kaspersky and so far never looked back.

Mychael

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hum... I use ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
It's light and it just sits there, warning you only when it detects a threat. It has a very simple, user friendly, interface and it is very powerfull.

I love it.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I bought Norton NIS before I upgraded to Windows 7. Since I upgraded to Win 7 64-bit I discovered NIS does not have a 64-bit version so I don't use the 64-bit IE8 (Adobe flash isn't supported in 64bit either) but if they don't get on the ball I do not plan to renew.

Hey Norton and Adobe the world is going 64bit - catch up or get left behind !

Reaction score
From a few days, i am using Nod32 and i really like it. Its low on resources and hard on security. Certainly, a good choice to make !

Reaction score
I bought Norton NIS before I upgraded to Windows 7. Since I upgraded to Win 7 64-bit I discovered NIS does not have a 64-bit version so I don't use the 64-bit IE8 (Adobe flash isn't supported in 64bit either) but if they don't get on the ball I do not plan to renew.

I use NIS and Flash CS4 under 64bit Windows 7 Pro and have no issues with them.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

This certainly applies to AV and firewall programs. The subject has been discussed here and on other websites to the point of: ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Thrax has posted on this site previously, several times actually, the results from an independent organization called: AV-Comparatives.org

Go there and read the results and data. See how they do what they do.

BTW, I am now using G DATA Internet Security. It's top-rated at AV Comparatives and a year subscription is $29.95 USD.

Last edited:
Reaction score

TrainableMan you're mistaken if you're referring to Norton Internet Security 2010.

I'm reading this from my NIS retail box:
System Requirements Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit.

Maybe you were looking at an older version?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It will run on a 64bit machine but it isn't a 64bit product. If you are running a 64-bit OS look in the Program Files directory for any Norton - nothing, look in Program Files (x86) - there it is.

Open a 32bit ie8 browser and there is the Norton toolbar watching over to flag those evil websites and watch for nasty webcode, now open the 64bit ie8 browser - come on down evil webcode cause Norton isn't here!

If they have it then it's brand spankin new or the tech support guy I spoke with 3 weeks ago was misinformed. I'm running NIS2010 with a 2yr license.

Last edited:

Ask a Question