Best anti-virus for Windows 7

Reaction score
hi wot is the best type of anti virus protection for windows 7?

Reaction score
I have settled on Norton Internet Security 2010 after using ESET for several years and AVG IS as well. Norton has taken the bloat out of its software with this release and you can download a free fully working trial. It is very easy to set up and much more user friendly than the others. I might also add that I was not a Norton fan by any stretch of the imagination but they have won me over with this release.

Reaction score
Hi.

AVG is terrible. I've seen countless instances in the last week alone of bsod, poor performance and you name it from them. Advice is to stay as far away from AVG as you could possibly get. lol :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, AVG is terrible. The "free" version is a resource hog and has no "realtime" protection. You find out you're infected after you do a manual scan. This, in my opinion, is useless. The way viruses are spread today, you need realtime protection. AVG doesn't even come to mind when I recommend one. On the other hand, Avast! & MSE are proven protection. Don't let that Windows Defender look fool you, MSE has proven itself to me and many others. Avast!, which I'm still running on Win 2K Pro, is also proven, as I used it on all of my systems until recently. You can set it to auto update and it updates daily, sometimes twice a day. With at at least these two choices, there's no reason to spend a fortune every year for protection.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hi James, I looked at the program and it looks good, but there's that 30 day free trial, which means that I'll be paying later. It would be an excellent option for someone who doesn't trust free anti virus programs or those who are using it for commercial purposes. I bookmarked it, if things don't pan out with MSE, I may try it out. A great article.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I , (and others) have just been dealing with a rootkit problem on a members computer.
I think it would be appropriate in this thread, to point out that, in many cases, the anti virus program which is being used, can be crippled by the user himself.

There are a few posted remedies for ridding a computer of rootkits. Few are 100% effective. The best cure is a reinstall or recover! But, there is another part of the equation here. The secret to dealing with rootkits, is to try your drandst not to let them get on the computer at all. Once on, they begin affect the OS in so many areas, that cures become almost impossible.
The point of my rambling story? Well. in many anti virus programs, there are options. A favourite option is, for example in MSE "Scan all downloaded files and attachments." . The same option , maybe with different wording, exists in most programs. In the incident I have quoted, the user had disabled this option becaiuse, as he said "It was slowing down my user ability" Oh my God!!!!!

Fwiw. MSE is getting near the top of the tables for rootkit detection.

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi James, I looked at the program and it looks good, but there's that 30 day free trial, which means that I'll be paying later. It would be an excellent option for someone who doesn't trust free anti virus programs or those who are using it for commercial purposes. I bookmarked it, if things don't pan out with MSE, I may try it out. A great article.
I currently have a $5 off coupon for VIPRE at my site (a copy for one PC is only $29.95 - $5 = $24.95): http://www.windowstalk.org/2009/12/vipre-discount-coupon/
You won't be disappointed with VIPRE, I'm sure. I have been running it on Win7 since it was released to manufacturers without any problems, and it has a very low usage of system resources.
I also have VIPRE giveaways at WindowsTalk from time to time, so follow WT and you'll have an opportunity to win, I'm sure. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I also have VIPRE giveaways at WindowsTalk from time to time, so follow WT and you'll have an opportunity to win, I'm sure. ;)
If anyone is interested, you can subscribe to WindowsTalk RSS Feed and get notifications of new articles that James has posted. This is an easy way to keep up with the opportunities. :)

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
As I said in another thread:

Hard to agree on the "best" antivirus. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. Some are good, others are better and some are bad.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Yep its just like whats the best Firewall the subject just goes on and on around in circles :lol:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
:lol: How very true Clifford !

Two other subjects that are on many Forums and are never ending ... nVidia / ATI and Intel / AMD :D

Reaction score
I cant say which one is good or bad, When i used Free Avg on my desktop, i had many trojans when i checked with Norton 360, on second when i used avast on lappy [Laptop] McAfee detected one virus in it, so it all makes me so confused, even recently when my McAfee got expired and i used norton 360 it detected virus, so i think the big bugs are all these antivirus, but yea cant even work even without them especially on web.
So now i have decided to use some other Antivirus and see how they functions, any more ideas guys on something good one..

Ask a Question