Best anti-virus for Windows 7

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Same here, MSE is the best of the free anti virus products. AVG is no good (no "real time protection" in the free version). Avira doesn't scan emails with their free version. Avast is decent and updates on a daily basis, and it's a good choice, too. It's probably better than all the free ones, except MSE. I've never paid for an anti virus product, so I can't tell you about any of them, except VIPRE. It's not free, but is said to be solid protection. There are a few people on here that endorses that one, I think Veedaz used it, and so does Mr. Fisher, who contributes here on a semi-regular basis. He has a site that is (or was) giving $5 US dollars off the price. He's also a Microsoft MVP, and wouldn't knowingly endorse a bad product. So, there's a few choices to think about.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Comodo internet security. i have tried many others, but this is the most robust one.
Isn't that the one where you have to get the firewall to get the anti-virus? If so, are you required in the EULA to use both services? I know a dude looking for a complete package.

Reaction score
I think I need to cleanup the post so we can start over, I really would hate to close this thread.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Malwarebytes and AVG free... you guys are good at "cleaning" stuff up :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nod 32 security suite gets consistently good independent report and has never let me down.:)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
We have being changing things on our Computers so ATM across 5 Computers all running Windows 7 we are using Vipre, Eset, MSE, Avira, and Avast, each Computer has a different security including Firewalls ... its very interesting !.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Hoping I'm not going too off topic, but in some ways it's better that there are many different, yet good firewall and anti-virus programs out there. It makes it possibly harder for the "bad guys" as instead of there just being one target to crack there are dozens. :D

Reaction score
They all do pretty much the same thing, it's not nessesarly harder to negate one then the other. There are certain features that can make one better then the other for the user however. These include but are not limited to:
1) functionality
2) cost
3) software efficiency (How well it runs on your system without clogging up resources)
4) speedy updates

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have used Webroot Spysweeper in previous versions of windows and it continues to do excellent with Windows 7. It continues to update daily and uses limited memory after it is up and running.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I have used Webroot Spysweeper in previous versions of windows and it continues to do excellent with Windows 7. It continues to update daily and uses limited memory after it is up and running.
I did use Webroot Spysweeper some years ago and from what I can remember it was quite good, its probably changed a bit since then in its UI, I will look it up as there may be a trial on it. Thanks for reminding me William9659 :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There is a 90 day Beta version of Webroot Spysweeper that you can try for free, after that you must pay for it. There appears to be four options available. I'm not much on Beta products to protect my main computer, though.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I may try it out on the XP Pro install on my laptop, the way I test drove MSE before making it my AV of choice. But I doubt I'll buy it, unless it shows me something really good. Once I've found an AV that I comfortable with, I stick with it, unless problems arise.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
People we could argue and discuss this topic until Hell freezes over.

I took Thrax's advice and am now running Avira Premium Security 9 and like it.

ESET is very good too!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
For the first time since I bought this PC, I found a problem in the registry. I wouldn't have found it, but I decided to tryout Malwarebytes out of being curious. Ran a short scan, one item was found. So I guess no matter the AV you use, bad code will still slide through. I will now run it once a month to catch what the others don't.

Ask a Question