SOLVED Batch change IE settings

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
Ok, so here's the deal:
As most of you may know, I own a forum. But for some stupid reason related to my crappy router, when I access the website from the same network on which the server is, I get redirected to the router configuration, not the server and forum.

So, I use a proxy. Tor. It's great, but for it to work, I have to change the LAN settings to use the proxy on 127.0.0.1 at port xyz .

The thing is, I only need this for a shirt amount if time, and going into IE's configuration is annoying. So I want to batch file to change the settings in a click

Any help would be appreciated. I use IE9

Thanks ;)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Meh... I'l just use the plugin for Tor (Torbutton) in FF then. That'll be much simpler... Ah, if only they could start dev on plugins in FF4

I had to install FF3.6 to use the plugin :(

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I know that if your ISP provides a router/modem and you want to put a wireless modem in the middle that you have to change the default IP address used on one of the routers. Maybe you could just change your IP address in your router.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that if your ISP provides a router/modem and you want to put a wireless modem in the middle that you have to change the default IP address used on one of the routers. Maybe you could just change your IP address in your router.
Uh.. That has nothing to do with what I need...

I use a software called Tor which is basicly a proxy. It redirects all connections to a proxy server somewhere else.
Let's say I need to go to a website that isn't alowed in a certain country (BBC iPlayer for example). I can connect to the server in England so that all connections made to that website are done through an English connection, making the website think I'm in england, and letting me watch clips on iPlayer.

The problem is, proxys are way slower than regular internet because the requests ave to be sent through a first server before going to the last one. So I wanted to make a batch file that would enable me to enable using Proxy servers in IE when I need one, and then disable them and switch to regular internet in a click.

They made a plugin for FF3.6 that does just that, but only for FF. And I use IE9

Reaction score
Wouldn't the logical choice be to just have a copy of FF 3.6 on hand as well, including the addon that allows you to easily switch from a standard connection to a proxy connection with the click of a button, so that you can launch FF whenever you wish to view BBC iPlayer?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the logical choice be to just have a copy of FF 3.6 on hand as well, including the addon that allows you to easily switch from a standard connection to a proxy connection with the click of a button, so that you can launch FF whenever you wish to view BBC iPlayer?

That's what I have at the moment. I use IE9 for general browsing. FF4 for heavier websites and downloading, and FF3.6 for debugging my websites (FireBug is awesome) and for using the proxy.

Reaction score
PROXY Customization – The Freeware tools to automate IE PROXY Settings.

Hi,
Using batch it is really easy to change IE PROXY settings frequently whenever required.
However I created a batch named PROXY Customization to resolve the issue.Please visit the link to download the product http://techsolutionpoint.blogspot.com/2010/10/proxy-customization-tools-to-automate.html.

You will only required to change change the PROXY address & port. (It is tested in WINXPSP2 - if the batch not work in w7 then change the registry path).
You may also download it from http://www.techtopeace.com/2011/09/batch-script-to-customize-ie-proxy.html.
It is free.

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Um... Thanks?

I'm not too sure about needing changes to the registry though... I think I'll be analysing te files before running any of them.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
FC, apparently the proxy settings are stored in the registry under the IE software key (which makes sense) And then they have two Visual Basic scripts (VBS) to turn proxy on or off. I haven't looked at the VB scripts but the photo of the reg settings seems legit.

By all means do look it over but I do believe it will do exactly what you asked for.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I've looked at the source. Looks safe :p
Sorry, I kinda get suspicious with posts like that... It sometimes seems too good to be true!

I just have a question; what am I supposed to change in the .reg file? What's the ServerMask?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I see no reference to ServerMask? It needs you to set the proxy server IP & port - that's all I really see. Basically it is storing two settings to the registry that it can use to supply as parameters: one the proxy IP : Port and the other the setting with no proxy server in place.

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh right. Sorry - I meant ServerOverride.

PFFT - I have been doing too much networking lately.

Reaction score
Resolution

I have created a simple batch file that will switch between whatever you set as a proxy server and turn on "Use a proxy server" in IE settings, and no server and turn off "Use a proxy server" in IE settings. I saw that you did not want to mess with your registry, however, this is the only way to set these settings from a batch file.

Code:
Code:
@echo off
REM Input your desired proxy server after "set proxy=".
set proxy=127.0.0.1:123
if '%proxy%'=='' (
goto USAGE
)
echo.
for /F "eol= tokens=1* " %%a in ('REG Query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v proxyserver /t REG_SZ 2^>nul ^| find "REG_SZ"') do set str=%%b
set str=%str:~10,20%
if '%str%'=='' (
set str=Not assigned
)
echo Current proxy server: %str%
echo.
if "%str%"=="%proxy%" (
goto off
) else (
goto on
)

:ON
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v proxyserver /t REG_SZ /d "%proxy%" /f >nul
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v proxyenable /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >nul
for /F "eol= tokens=1* " %%a in ('REG Query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v proxyserver /t REG_SZ 2^>nul ^| find "REG_SZ"') do set str=%%b
if '%str%'=='' (
set str=Not assigned
)
echo New proxy server: %str%
echo.
pause
goto end

:OFF
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v proxyserver /t REG_SZ /d "" /f >nul
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v proxyenable /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f >nul
if '%str%'=='' (
set str=Not assigned
)
echo New proxy server: %str%
echo.
pause
GOTO END

:USAGE
echo.
echo Please input a proxy server to configure.
echo.
pause
goto end

:END
exit

Ask a Question