SOLVED Backups

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To barely keep this in line with the topic I will say that my few recipes are all backed up with my documents.

Around here we have coleslaw or pepperslaw, never heard of sweet slaw, even when I lived in Oklahoma. I'm thinking we need a recipes for geeks thread. Nibs maybe you can start one with Runza, whatever the heck that is.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sweet Slaw is an oil & vinegar based slaw with sugar and celery seed, sweet onion and sweet red bell pepper.

It's popular in certain parts of the South, because you can serve it at picnics and not worry about the mayo going bad (food poisoning).

Where in Oklahoma did you live? I lived in Tulsa for 25 years.

Runza... that quintessential Midwestern meat pie! Yum!

From Wikipedia:

A runza (also called a bierock, fleischkuche or Kraut Pirok) is a yeast dough bread pocket with a filling consisting of beef, pork, cabbage or sauerkraut, onions, and seasonings. They are baked in various shapes such as a half-moon, rectangle, round (bun), square, or triangle. In Nebraska, the runza is usually baked in a rectangular shape. The bierocks of Kansas, on the other hand, are generally baked in the shape of a bun.

History
The Runza Sandwich originated in Russia during the 1800s and was sent to Germany before being served to the U.S. The term bierock comes from the Russian word pirogi or pirozhki and is the name for any food consisting of a filling stuffed into dough. The recipe was passed down from one generation to the next, and was brought to the Americas, particularly to Argentina and the Canadian provinces of Alberta, Manitoba, the U.S. states of North and South Dakota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Kansas and Nebraska by the Volga Germans.
Most common type is ground beef with shredded cabbage and diced onions, cooked down and seasoned with salt and pepper mostly. Then stuffed in fresh yeast dough and baked. They're usually about 2-1/2" in diameter and about 8" long.

Real tasty on a cold winter day.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, sweet slaw sounds almost identical to what we call pepperslaw.

I lived in Norman, OKC, and Midwest City. 2 1/2 years from the end of 1986 and then about 2 years from 2004.

I never heard of runza but it sounds good. What I really miss up here is a Del Rancho Steak Sandwich Supreme and a Sonic cherry limeade.

I lived in Detroit 7 yrs and up there they had something called pasties (not the kind a woman wears). It's kind of like stromboli but stuffed with meat and potatoes seasoned with onions and spices.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It wasn't mentioned which brand of backup drive is being used here. If you're using a WD or Seagate backup drive, there's a free (but scaled down) version of Acronis True Image.

The one for WD drives can be found at:
http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

The one for Seagate drives can be found at:
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard/

Many backup drives are of these brands, I have both, and have used both. I've also used Macrium, still do on occasion, but at the current time, I'm using Acronis True Image Home 2010. The last time I looked, it was being sold at half price, $29.95.

Hope this is helpful.

Cat

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
It wasn't mentioned which brand of backup drive is being used here.
See my post 6 posts back. GFI Backup. That's what HappyMommy was talking about.

TM and Nibs,
One of you guys start the recipe thread. I got a few things to add.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I saw that, and checked it out. I don't think it's for me. What I was pointing out was if her backup drive is a WD or Seagate one, then there's a couple of options to use Acronis for free.:)

That program you linked, is it a file backup, disc image or what? It appears to be more of a file backup, rather than a full backup.

Guess I'll have to download it on the notebook, and see what it's about. Then report back.

Cat

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
It seems to be a file back-up, which I understood to be what she was looking for.

I have downloaded it but haven't tried it it yet. Will post back when I do.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I downloaded it onto XP Media Center, it was as I thought, a file backup. That's good to have, but will it restore all of your programs, bookmarks, updates, etc, if you do a reinstall? I did notice it offered to backup your registry keys.

If it will do all of this, there would be no point in having a full backup program, just reinstall your OS, then restore your files & programs, if that's the way it works.

I'm just not used to doing file backups, that's all. I've only done full & incremental backups, that's what has worked for me. But I do wish the best for HappyMommy, and hope that if ever she needs to rely on this program, it'll work for her.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I checked it out, and it appears that you can set the schedule to daily, if you want. But I have problems with this, it only backs up the partition that you're on, not all four of them. You can backup your files, mail, settings and registry keys, and that's all.

It's not for me. But you may like it, it may suit your needs better than mine.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Does it look like the scheduler is easy to use? That's something I would be interested in.

I've found another program called Karen's Replicator. It has a nice scheduler. Some of her other power tools seem pretty cool too, if, a little "long in the tooth."

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
yodap, thanks :)I checked that site out, looks like some useful tools are on the site. I also registered for her newsletter.

That other deal, I'm just leery of it. I'm used to backing up & restoring whole partitions & discs, not files. I do have a file backup option with Acronis, but haven't used it. But I do have the Acronis recovery manager installed. Prior to your boot options are displayed, you'll see the Acronis manager load, all you have to do is press F11 to do a recovery with. Much better than the Windows recovery is.

Cat

Reaction score
My cloning device is the best of all but the least convienient as it entails removing the HDD from the case. Not so bad for me as I have quick disconnent mounts.

What is does give me though is a full carbon copy HDD as back up. I could put either drive in the case, boot from it and they would be identicle right down to desktop and settings.

I'm still planning to move over to a software backup as the easier option and keep my cloned drive as a failsafe.

Ask a Question