Backing up an encrypted drive in Win7.

Discussion in 'alt.windows7.general' started by Peter Jason, Mar 16, 2012.

  1. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    I have a dedicated HDD for certain files and this is protected with
    TrueCrypt. I want to back this up to an external drive but I need to
    know if I can just back it up encrypted, or do I need to decrypt, back
    it up, and then recrypt. Is all the encryption backed up, or is the
    backup drive vulnerable. Peter.
     
    Peter Jason, Mar 16, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Peter Jason

    BeeJ Guest

    On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 3:40 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    > I have a dedicated HDD for certain files and this is protected with
    > TrueCrypt. I want to back this up to an external drive but I need to
    > know if I can just back it up encrypted, or do I need to decrypt, back
    > it up, and then recrypt. Is all the encryption backed up, or is the
    > backup drive vulnerable. Peter.

    Does the "encrypted" drive consist of a TrueCrypt file or is the whole
    HDD actually dedicated to encryption via TrueCrypt?
    You could have done either.

    If just a file you can copy that file anywhere and use it as you do the
    current one.

    If the drive itself is encrypted then you can
    1) create a new TrueCrypt encrypted drive
    2) or create an TrueCrypt encrypted file
    and copy the files using drag-drop or any other file copy method.
     
    BeeJ, Mar 17, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:14:30 -0700, BeeJ <> wrote:

    >On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 3:40 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    >> I have a dedicated HDD for certain files and this is protected with
    >> TrueCrypt. I want to back this up to an external drive but I need to
    >> know if I can just back it up encrypted, or do I need to decrypt, back
    >> it up, and then recrypt. Is all the encryption backed up, or is the
    >> backup drive vulnerable. Peter.

    >Does the "encrypted" drive consist of a TrueCrypt file or is the whole
    >HDD actually dedicated to encryption via TrueCrypt?
    >You could have done either.
    >
    >If just a file you can copy that file anywhere and use it as you do the
    >current one.
    >
    >If the drive itself is encrypted then you can
    >1) create a new TrueCrypt encrypted drive
    >2) or create an TrueCrypt encrypted file
    >and copy the files using drag-drop or any other file copy method.



    Thanks. The whole original HDD is encrypted, so I will then have to
    encrypt the whole backup HDD too.

    Then, presumably, I will decrypt the original and the Backup HDD, do
    the backup, and then dismount both.

    I use Ghost15, and the size of the HDDs is 250GB each.
     
    Peter Jason, Mar 17, 2012
    #3
  4. On 3/16/2012 7:21 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:14:30 -0700, BeeJ<> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 3:40 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    >>> I have a dedicated HDD for certain files and this is protected with
    >>> TrueCrypt. I want to back this up to an external drive but I need to
    >>> know if I can just back it up encrypted, or do I need to decrypt, back
    >>> it up, and then recrypt. Is all the encryption backed up, or is the
    >>> backup drive vulnerable. Peter.

    >> Does the "encrypted" drive consist of a TrueCrypt file or is the whole
    >> HDD actually dedicated to encryption via TrueCrypt?
    >> You could have done either.
    >>
    >> If just a file you can copy that file anywhere and use it as you do the
    >> current one.
    >>
    >> If the drive itself is encrypted then you can
    >> 1) create a new TrueCrypt encrypted drive
    >> 2) or create an TrueCrypt encrypted file
    >> and copy the files using drag-drop or any other file copy method.

    >
    >
    > Thanks. The whole original HDD is encrypted, so I will then have to
    > encrypt the whole backup HDD too.
    >
    > Then, presumably, I will decrypt the original and the Backup HDD, do
    > the backup, and then dismount both.
    >
    > I use Ghost15, and the size of the HDDs is 250GB each.
    >

    Give the info at this link a viewing.
    It is Truecrypt's own ideas on the subject.

    http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=how-to-back-up-securely
     
    GlowingBlueMist, Mar 17, 2012
    #4
  5. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:38:27 -0500, GlowingBlueMist
    <> wrote:

    >On 3/16/2012 7:21 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    >> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:14:30 -0700, BeeJ<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 3:40 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    >>>> I have a dedicated HDD for certain files and this is protected with
    >>>> TrueCrypt. I want to back this up to an external drive but I need to
    >>>> know if I can just back it up encrypted, or do I need to decrypt, back
    >>>> it up, and then recrypt. Is all the encryption backed up, or is the
    >>>> backup drive vulnerable. Peter.
    >>> Does the "encrypted" drive consist of a TrueCrypt file or is the whole
    >>> HDD actually dedicated to encryption via TrueCrypt?
    >>> You could have done either.
    >>>
    >>> If just a file you can copy that file anywhere and use it as you do the
    >>> current one.
    >>>
    >>> If the drive itself is encrypted then you can
    >>> 1) create a new TrueCrypt encrypted drive
    >>> 2) or create an TrueCrypt encrypted file
    >>> and copy the files using drag-drop or any other file copy method.

    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks. The whole original HDD is encrypted, so I will then have to
    >> encrypt the whole backup HDD too.
    >>
    >> Then, presumably, I will decrypt the original and the Backup HDD, do
    >> the backup, and then dismount both.
    >>
    >> I use Ghost15, and the size of the HDDs is 250GB each.
    >>

    >Give the info at this link a viewing.
    >It is Truecrypt's own ideas on the subject.
    >
    >http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=how-to-back-up-securely


    I can't get Ghost15 to work on mounted volumes, so I'll just copy over
    the files.
     
    Peter Jason, Mar 17, 2012
    #5
  6. Peter Jason

    Stan Brown Guest

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 15:07:26 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:
    >
    > On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:38:27 -0500, GlowingBlueMist
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On 3/16/2012 7:21 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    > >> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:14:30 -0700, BeeJ<> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 3:40 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    > >>>> I have a dedicated HDD for certain files and this is protected with
    > >>>> TrueCrypt. I want to back this up to an external drive but I need to
    > >>>> know if I can just back it up encrypted, or do I need to decrypt, back
    > >>>> it up, and then recrypt. Is all the encryption backed up, or is the
    > >>>> backup drive vulnerable. Peter.


    > I can't get Ghost15 to work on mounted volumes, so I'll just copy
    > over the files.


    And as I posted here about a week ago, Acronis True Image won't work
    on he mounted volume either.

    --
    Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Shikata ga nai...
     
    Stan Brown, Mar 17, 2012
    #6
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. midwestbiker

    USMT4 and Encrypted .mig files

    midwestbiker, Aug 26, 2011, in forum: Windows 7 Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,688
    midwestbiker
    Aug 26, 2011
  2. feroz_bilal

    [Help] Encrypted files in windows 7 ultimate???

    feroz_bilal, Feb 15, 2012, in forum: Windows 7 Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,558
    feroz_bilal
    Feb 15, 2012
  3. kev
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,656
    ukwebb
    May 26, 2012
  4. Chester
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,889
    Chester
    Nov 24, 2012
  5. Paul Rotaru

    how to recover rsa 4096 encrypted data

    Paul Rotaru, May 7, 2016, in forum: Windows 7 Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    687
    dalaran
    May 17, 2016
  6. FredricJLowe
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    610
    TrainableMan
    Oct 4, 2016
  7. ann kennedy

    Long Running Script Keeps Showing Up

    ann kennedy, Oct 18, 2016, in forum: General Discussion
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    586
    TrainableMan
    Oct 19, 2016
  8. nevica

    Setting up two NICs on Windows 7

    nevica, Oct 28, 2016, in forum: Installation, Setup and Updates
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    416
    nevica
    Oct 28, 2016
Loading...